61 replies to this topic

#21 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Wish I could help with info on selling to US from Canada but I only know to import one from Japan is impossible. Thanks for the pictures the last one I brought has only 62,000 miles on it and I am spending a fortune to clean it up. Yours looks very good.

#22 mbardeen

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • City:Talca
  • State:Chile
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Import rules can be found here: http://www.nhtsa.gov...s/rules/import/

Since it was originally a US car, there shouldn't be too many problems importing it, but... good luck figuring out what you'll need. The rules seem to be as clear as mud.

#23 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Holy crow. Those regs need a lawyer.

#24 mbardeen

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • City:Talca
  • State:Chile
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

A little more readable summary here: http://www.buyclassi....com/import.asp

Since the car was originally a US car, it should comply U.S. Federal motor vehicle safety standards. All you should need is the letter from the manufacturer with the VIN. You shouldn't even need to pay import duties.

Edited by mbardeen, 19 March 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#25 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • City:Canning, NS, Canada
  • State:Nova Scotia
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

latest high offer, as of 9 am this morning, is still $1000 USD.

#26 MB968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • City:Portland
  • State:Oregon
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

I bought my 968 just about 2 yrs ago in BC, and brought it back into the US. It was originally imported from Germany into Calif. That was the key to a simple transfer. At the border, I didn't even see a Canadian customs agent. The US customs wanted to see a few things. As I recall, they were: copy of the bill of sale from the Canadian owner which I think came from the meeting we had at the insurance office. Apparently by law, insurance companies handle sales to insure all cars are insured. I also needed a copy of the California title which fortunately the owner had in his files (to prove it was originally a US car). As I recall, there was one other simple form that I needed, but don't remember what it was, but it was specifically for Customs. The Customs officer also did a check to insure it me the US EPA requirements. I think that verification was inside the door panel as mentioned above. It must have this, or I don't think it could be imported. To make sure I had everything in place, I had called the Customs office at the border (about a week prior to the transfer) where I was going to cross and talked to an agent who gave me the verbal list of things I needed. Don't forget to take temp plates with you, or you'll have an issue at the border. Once Oregon, the Oregon DMV created a new title for me, since Canadians don't have a title like ours. I just had to show them all the paperwork, and the car to verify the VIN.

Kim, it wasn't clear from your comments. Was your car originally imported from Germany into the US? or did it go directly from Germany to Toronto. If it was originally titled in the US, then the US tax was paid at that time, which would simplify the re-entry into the US. If it was originally imported from Germany into Canada, then the US tax was never paid, and would need to be as I understand would need to be paid at the border upon entry into the US. My suggestion for any serious buyer, call the Customs office close to Kim and ask what is required. It's easier than trying to make sense of the on-line info. It also gives you a name and something to refer to if you should have an issue at Customs. All in all, I was surprised at how simple it was.

#27 MB968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Wish you were closer, I always liked white for sports cars. I'd be in.

#28 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Alan, if I buy the car will you pick it up for me? Lol

#29 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

Ok, I thought that the term "US car" was clear but perhaps not. The car was brought to the US from Zuffenschnusen or wherever in West Germany where it was manufactured as a new car, sold in the US as a new car to somebody living in the US, and then bought by a Canadian in 2004 to be returned to Toronto from where I bought it. Its just a "US car" brought to Canada after 12 years on the road and then sold to me. The door jamb has a US EPA sticker indicating that it was for sale in the US. I have no idea what stae it was sold in originally. The only thing no longer "US spec" is the speedo, which I replaced in 2004 with a Canadian one (I do NOT have the original one), and the daytime running lights, which were activated by simply installing the appropriate relay.

#30 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:17 AM

Brotherly love only goes so far, Rap. And apparently, that distance is less than 13+ hours. :D

On the up-side, it's only 5+ hours from my mother's place, so I can make a road trip out of it if I buy it.

Kim, do you have the option codes?

#31 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I have to check the sticker. not many - no LSD, etc. Has the 8 way seats, the two amp-10 speaker stereo. rear defroster, the rest is the usual stuff that nobody really thinks of as an option.

Edited by Kim, 21 March 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#32 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Alan it seemed a lot closer. Certainly closer than me!

#33 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Kim,

The austion idea is a good one, but have you thought about advertising it in a racing-oriented publication or site? Seems like this car could would make a great basis for a track car.

#34 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

No. If nobody is interested here I will simply de-insure it, cover it up in my yard and forget about it for now. Selling cars is, for me, just a distraction from life. I was hoping that someone on this forum, a 968 forum, who might want a car for any one of a number of reasons, might see a chance to get one cheap with little work needed from me. Trying harder to sell it isn't worth my while since at 385,000 km the first question is always "what is your best price", which will always need to be lower than whatever I offer. Sorry to be cynical, but that's the way the game works I think. So, if it stays in my yard it stays in my yard.

#35 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What year is your 968?:1994

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Kim,

Just drive it off its wheels until something major explodes, then let it sit in your yard...it's not a reflection on the car, its the distance. You are a brave soul for the number of times you made it all the way down to Newtown, for celebration and for repairs....

Jay

#36 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

Attached File  073108carplanter-01.jpg   60.58KB   0 downloads

#37 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yea, distance is the thing. If you park it for a year the wife and I can take a holiday to the east coast and have a car waiting for us to use and drive back! That would surely be cheaper than giving it all to CN rail.

#38 MB968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Ok, I thought that the term "US car" was clear but perhaps not. The car was brought to the US from Zuffenschnusen or wherever in West Germany where it was manufactured as a new car, sold in the US as a new car to somebody living in the US, and then bought by a Canadian in 2004 to be returned to Toronto from where I bought it. Its just a "US car" brought to Canada after 12 years on the road and then sold to me. The door jamb has a US EPA sticker indicating that it was for sale in the US. I have no idea what stae it was sold in originally. The only thing no longer "US spec" is the speedo, which I replaced in 2004 with a Canadian one (I do NOT have the original one), and the daytime running lights, which were activated by simply installing the appropriate relay.

Great, so that makes it an easy import back into the US. As I said above, it was a very simple process for me when I brought a Calif. car back into the US from BC.

#39 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

best offer still $1000.

#40 MB968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Kim, I don't really think the offer of $1000 from Chile was a serious offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.