• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

The pic I attached of my car has the AIR splitter.

#22 Ryan

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • City:Louisville
  • State:KY
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

Man...those splitters are WIDE.

#23 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • City:New York City
  • State:New York
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Feb 17 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man...those splitters are WIDE.

They only extend about an inch or so more on each side. They are really designed for the AIR Fender flares they make for 968's.

Attached Files

Edited by Fox944, 17 February 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#24 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

there is one here that i will get a chance to take a look at on a car soon - it is waiting to be installed on the supercharged car when it comes back here in the next few days

#25 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • City:New York City
  • State:New York

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (flash @ Feb 17 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is one here that i will get a chance to take a look at on a car soon - it is waiting to be installed on the supercharged car when it comes back here in the next few days

They are cheap compared to everything else, but not very durable imo (Fiberglass). I highly recomend purchasing the Carbong Fiber unit instead of the FG.

#26 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

carbon fiber really isn't any better than fiberglass when it comes to the kinds of impact that tend to screw these up - he already has this one, and we'll install it until it breaks - after that, who knows?

i folded under my polyurethane one so many times i got rid of it - they are all 3 a bad design - having a leading edge that can snag on things is a bad idea - the only 2 that i have seen that can withstand daily driving are the one i have (like the strosek) and the tech art - the tech art should be even better, as it is a more pliable material, and does not protrude as far

#27 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

The really begs the question - are splitters really effective performance wise or are they just an enhancer of 968 pulcritud?
I'm sure if I search for the threads it has already been answered but I'm feeling particularly lazy tonight tongue.gif

#28 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

they do a good job of directing air into the radiator - this does help promote cooling - i have no idea how much downforce they provide, but my car did feel a bit more planted after i put it on - it may merely have been a result of decreased turbulence - not sure - might also increase drag though

#29 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

Good to know there is a positive effect with splitter because I like the look. I would assume there is a higher drag coefficient but who's counting tongue.gif

#30 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • City:Plumsteadville
  • State:PA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:54 AM

I have heard before that the real benefits of the splitter (at least the original one) are evident until you are north of 100mph...

Regardless, I think the splitters really "finish off" the front of the 968- so whatever 968 I own, it will always have one! If it does help to direct air to the rad, then that is a nice bonus!

#31 Ryan

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • City:Louisville
  • State:KY
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:59 AM

+1 on the front end finishing. Adds that extra sporting look. A great looking car that can be improved with a few small details. (lowering, splitter,wheels etc)

#32 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:48 AM

Well, just to keep things balanced - I vote -1 on the splitter. To me, it's a little "chunk" added to what is otherwise a smooth line. Unless it provides a major performance advantage, no splitter will go on my car while I own it. And, since I have no cooling issues, added air flow to the radiator doesn't tilt the scale enough. Maybe when I'm supercharged and hitting high enough speeds in the DE events, the downforce will be desirable. Until then, though, not a chance.

Bio, I see you've asked about the rear spoiler. For me, the answer is the same as for the splitter. The spoiler you're thinking about might have been the same as was on Eric Sandoval's cab - but I don't know if photos are still floating around (although I seem to recall seeing some on a thread a few months ago).

#33 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:05 AM

Jim-

Yup. Eric's car had the wing. I am hoping there will be some lighter colored cars with the wing to help me make my decision. I'm on the fence right now. Worst case- I try to find a used rear deck so I don't ruin the original.

Sorry for the thread derail...

Back to the splitter!

#34 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

this is a very subjective area - i went back and forth on this one for a while before i bought any of mine - i have now had 3 different types on the car - first the tech art, then the porsche motorsports, now a custom one

i'm not a huge fan of the tech art from an aesthetic point of view, though i don't hate it either - i bought one at one point, and found that it isn't as obtrusive and does a good job of staying out of harm's way - for those who prefer to stick to porsche parts, that one qualifies as well as the porsche motorsports one - they were both sold by porsche

i agree about the 3 versions of the same splitter (the porsche motorsport style) - without even getting into how bad they are at staying in one piece, they all look "stuck on" to me - the problem i had with them is the sandwiching that was done between the front apron and the bumper cover - at the sides, it just didn't look right - from the front it was great, but the "money shot" (3/4 front view) was always ruined by the sandwich look

maybe not for everybody, but that's why i went this way (which looks an awful lot like jim's new one):
http://www.968forums...?showtopic=3670

#35 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (flash @ Feb 11 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the tech art is still listed, so possibly directly through tech art - i'll look into that - the last time i heard it was about $550

the euro is weak right now - last time i checked on the pricing at carnewal, it was 350 euros - that equates to 511 - count in the $65 shipping, and it is indeed nearly $600

no easy answer

Shipping is actually quite pricey. If 2 guys order together they can split the shipping cost as 2 ships for the same price.

My convo with Carnewell

"Hi David,

The price for the 968 Cup chin spoiler is 360 Euro
Shipping for one or two units is 70 Euro (because of the size )

We need 4-5 days to get the parts in stock.

Shipping usually takes 2-3 days."

Now which one does Jim have again?

#36 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

yup - he's really good about that - gert rocks - if you buy a few of them, he has been known to drop the price too

jim has the strosek, which is fiberglass, and looks very much like the one in the pics in the link i just posted - the advantage of that design, like mine, is that there is no "edge" to catch anything - it completely wraps around underneath so when you come out of a driveway or whatever, it just skips over the top, rather than snagging and curling under - a good front impact will still shatter it, but that isn't what i'm worried about - having to repaint the thing every time i went out my driveway or to a gas station was the drag - that got really old

#37 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

Yep- got the Strosek one. Had the Porsche OEM polyurethane one on my previous coupe.

I won't have the Strosek splitter fitted until later in the year- hopefully mid Summer or so. So I really can't comment on final fit and finish. I expect it to look very similar to the Strosek pictures I posted in my splitter thread. If it does, I will be a happy boy!

#38 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:23 AM

Where can the strosek be found?

#39 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:40 AM

You can get the Strosek one from either Fred Opert Racing in NJ (cue Anchorman!) or you can get it directly through Strosek. I believe I saved a little going directly to Strosek, but I had to go to my local airport to pick it up. I also did not tally up the total once I paid taxes, duties and such so maybe I didn't save a penny. With Fred Opert Racing, their price is all inclusive I believe. Depending on your connections, shipping preferences, etc....

The shipping cost from Strosek direct was not cheap- the thing is large. If it hadn't been for shipping, it would have been an amazing deal.

If you want, I can provide my contact's name at Strosek. She was good to deal with.... Last but not least, they aren't in stock, so they had to make one up- took a number of weeks before it was on a plane.

#40 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (biotechee @ Feb 18 2009, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want, I can provide my contact's name at Strosek. She was good to deal with.... Last but not least, they aren't in stock, so they had to make one up- took a number of weeks before it was on a plane.

I'd love to go through your contact. Waiting is not an issue as I have the money now but wont install for a few months. I also dont want to do this over and over so I think I'm taking Flash's advice on this one and the custom one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.