• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • City:Orange County
  • State:Ca
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:21 AM

I know it's a loaded question here in a forum dedicated to 968s but I'll ask anyway. I have a 2001 Boxster S but have always liked the look of the 968s. After researching them for the past couple of months, I have found an extremely clean (very, very clean) '95 with 35k on the odometer. I had it checked out and the P-car indie called it a "cream puff." He said it was the cleanest one he had ever seen. The compression checked out at 185 across the board. I drove it for awhile and, while the performance is the same as the Boxster, I really enjoyed the drive and the room (I'm 6'4"). It had a few things repaired as maintenance (timing belt and other small things) about 5 years ago. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger because I do like the extra room (I have a 4 year old daughter and we have to take the XC70 if we all go somewhere). I also like the rarity of the car. Even in "car show central" SoCal, it's still a very rare car.

My thought is that I can always get another Boxster or Porsche but maybe the opportunity to own a 968 isn't going to be there for long? Who knows, I may end up liking it so much that I'll keep it forever? Any opinions on performance enhancements and maintenance tips would be appreciated.

I seem to be talking myself into this. My biggest issue is that it's white and I have never been a major white car fan. But, I can overlook that since it's almost exactly what I want...

Thanks for any opinions,

T-Bone

#2 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Is it a cab or a coupe? If the timing belt was 5 years ago, your looking at a belt change there, so plan for that.

#3 Johannvb

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • City:Doorn
  • State:Netherlands
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

I am a new 968 owners as well and bought it for the same reasons you are stating. I had a 964 but it was near impossible to get me, my wife, my daughter and all the luggage in it.

With the 968 I can load the buggy and diaper bag in the hatch with no problems and there is still enough room inside for the three of us.

I too bought a low mileage 968 with 88k (kilometres) on the odometer, and I am very happy with it. It took me a while to learn how to drive it because it is much more revier than the 911, but now that I know how to drive it, I love it.

I just love the quirkiness of the pre mass production Porsches there's just something about them.

Regards,
Johann

#4 968Syncro

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • City:San Pasqual Valley
  • State:CA
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

The back seats for kids is a very big advantage (must be a coupe) for around town rides. I kept kids and their friends in the back of pCars until they were perhaps 10 or 11, even stuffed early teens with packed-in legs somehow in there for short hops.

And the rear "trunk" is great for shopping, heck I've hauled cinder blocks, pipes, all kinds of stuff back there.

The specialty, or rarity, of the 968 is a very nice side pleasure, because you get to meet people, and get comments in parking lots, etc. And you get a knowledgeable group real focused on these cars on the forums. IMHO it has very interesting, special and unique styling.

There are other threads on this forum that compare 968 to Boxster in case you would like to research some of the past opinions on the tradeoffs. Probably do a search on "Boxster" and see what comes up.

However, remember it is a 13 year old car and things age even with low mileage, so expect some maintenance and repair work either initially or with time of ownership. Otherwise they are fairly easy to work on yourself for those things you would like undertake.

Roland

#5 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.
  • What year is your 968?:1994

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Go for it.
Negotiate with the seller to drop the price the amount of a complete belt service.
If you can live with white, do not let that put you off, you may miss a great car.

Boxter's are a dime a dozen.

Edited by smokiemon968, 04 September 2008 - 09:56 AM.

#6 Duckman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

Don't let it go. Buy it. I'm not a fan of white cars, either, but white 968s are different. They're beautiful. Did I mention you should buy it.

#7 DiREW0LF

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • City:Dover
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

The Boxster is a "me too" car.

#8 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

The roominess of the 968 cabin is remarkable - one of the big points for me at 6'2" and generally larger than I should be. It's much more comfortable than any other Porsche I've been in, more spacious than my wife's C280 MB, and I had both of my grandsons in the rear seat of my cab just last week! I hope you're not still reading when you should be negotiating/purchasing!

#9 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

'nuff said...

Attached Files

#10 T-Bone

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the info all. I have my Boxster set up really well with the ROW030 suspension, short shift, nice wheels, etc. and I'm hoping to put the same ROW suspension and short shifter in. From the stock Boxster S to the ROW030 Boxster S, it is a pretty big difference in handling. If anyone has done the suspension mod and/or the short shifter with the 968, could you please comment?

Great thread. I'll search Boxster through the archives.

Travis

#11 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

lol - yes

do a search here - there are tons of threads about such mods

#12 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

The mods you want make to the 968 are very common and the parts for such are fairly easy to come by.

#13 rob76turbo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • City:DFW
  • State:TX
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:35 PM

I owned a Boxster too and I will tell you I miss it. It was a great car, but I have always wanted a 968. Finding nice ones is getting harder and harder, pull the trigger. Acutally I do like the 968 in white. I think the color will grow on you.

#14 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

i like them in white when they are trimmed in black - black tinted windows, wing, etc

the white cab we picked up in december was nice too though, and it has no black trim

#15 T-Bone

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:24 PM

White with Black interior is what the car is. It has a white painted wing and (my favorite part), an LSD. The rest is pretty stock but amazingly clean. Even the interior still smells like new leather. I can turn a wrench or two and I'm over-the-top on vehicle cleanliness so this car definitely fits me in that category. I'm selling the Boxster right now so it looks like I have made up my mind...

I was trying to post a pic or two but the host I used to use, pcars.us, doesn't allow me to upload pics anymore. Anyone have a quick recommendation for a site to easily upload pics?

Thanks,

Travis

#16 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

At some point in your member level you will be able to post pics in the gallery here, you may be able to do that now. It depends on your post count. http://www.968forums...autocom=gallery

#17 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

White is my favorite color on a 968 coupe. Congratulations

#18 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

The back seats for kids is a very big advantage (must be a coupe) for around town rides.

I agree but the back seat conversion is a simple change for cab owners. Remember, euro and canadian 968 cabs had rear seats. The seat belt nuts are right in the floor (on 92-94.5 models) so you just remove the glove box and brackets, poke the holes through the carpet, and install the lap belts and you've got a 4 seater convertible, perfect for around town with the top down.

#19 Scott Collins

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • City:Cranbury
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:17 PM

The 968 is just too practical mostly because of the huge hatchback trunk. I could really never have
a 911 because I always have so much stuff to haul around. I drove a 997 about 3 weeks ago, and yes,
it was nice, but... I really wanted to get right back in the 968. And the 997 guy, who had never driven
a 968, said, "Wow. I like that!", after taking some turns in my car. It did take him some time to find
the ignition and headlight switches in the 968.

And one other thing I found out is that
the height is just perfect for a baby diaper changing station. (sorry, no pics...) Try that in a 911 and your progeny will have grill marks. :lol: I am sure just what the Porsche engineers intended when they designed the body and interior way back with I guess the 924. Unlike some other lesser cars, you don't have to stoop with the 968, and there is plenty of room to lay the kid right down. My 2 1/2 year old, Elli, now says, "We gonna go for a ride in the Porsche car?" She just can't wait to get in it, and when we go do an errand, she sits back there and says, "Ooooh. Gonna go fast in the Porsche car". Just makes a guy so proud. :P

#20 T-Bone

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

I apologize for not mentioning it before. The car is a coupe with a matching white rear spoiler. It also has the euro-style front end lip at the bottom which I think really finishes the look of the car. I'm pretty convinced that I'll get the car. A few things I want to do is to tint the windows, ROW030 suspension, short shifter, newer style 3 spoke steering wheel, add a CDR-220 Porsche stereo (like my Box) so I can play the Ipod in the car. Also want to add rear painted bumperettes and possibly some wheels. Not sure what performance enhancements are available but it's fun to find out about an entirely new car. I know almost all there is to know about options (go-fast and otherwise) about the Boxster. Does anyone know if a newer (Boxster/911-style steering wheel is simply a bolt on to the 968? Both have air bags. Not sure about the hubs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.