• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:57 AM

I know that this is a thread about the virtue of Cabs, and I in no way would dispute anybody's decision to buy one of these beautiful machines, but I wanted to throw in my perspective of why I bought this car in the first place, and why specifically a Coupe. With two small kids at the time (who are not so small anymore), I needed a back seat, so a Cab was out. But one thing I love about the Coupe is its enormous sunroof. I took it off last October, and plan to keep it off all winter and spring, and will only put it back in the heat of the Austin summer (those in the colder climates would want to reverse this, of course). With the sunroof off, the driving experience rivals that of a convertible. Not exactly the same, of course, but close enough for me. Plus, having the sunroof off removes probably 20 lbs (feels more like 200 lbs when removing it) of weight from the very top of the car. So for me, the 968 Coupe gave me everything I wanted in a car, including some semblance of the open air experience, which was not available to the same degree in other potential choices like the E36 M3.

Of course, a great thing about Cabs is that people tend to put less miles on them, so there are far more low mileage Cabs out there to choose from than Coupes. Both are great choices, and it's all highly subjective, of course.

#22 Ryan

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • City:Louisville
  • State:KY
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

David, I think you know the answer to the coup/cab rigidity question allready. Cab has that cowl shake that is absent in the coupe. I have the coupe set up with stiffer springs/bars/konis and it handles great. That said, there is just something about the open air experience that makes for a pleasurable drive. You can overlook the down sides to the cab because of the fun factor.

I have never been in one of the cabs that has all the braces so I don't know what they feel like. Flash will tell you his is tight as a stock coupe. I guess it just depends what you want the car for. I don't think you will miss the coupe except for practicality.

#23 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

ryan - are you going to parade? my car will be there

#24 SILVY968

Silvy968

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • City:Sammamish
  • State:WA
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

I know that this is a thread about the virtue of Cabs, and I in no way would dispute anybody's decision to buy one of these beautiful machines, but I wanted to throw in my perspective of why I bought this car in the first place, and why specifically a Coupe. With two small kids at the time (who are not so small anymore), I needed a back seat, so a Cab was out. But one thing I love about the Coupe is its enormous sunroof. I took it off last October, and plan to keep it off all winter and spring, and will only put it back in the heat of the Austin summer (those in the colder climates would want to reverse this, of course). With the sunroof off, the driving experience rivals that of a convertible. Not exactly the same, of course, but close enough for me. Plus, having the sunroof off removes probably 20 lbs (feels more like 200 lbs when removing it) of weight from the very top of the car. So for me, the 968 Coupe gave me everything I wanted in a car, including some semblance of the open air experience, which was not available to the same degree in other potential choices like the E36 M3.

Of course, a great thing about Cabs is that people tend to put less miles on them, so there are far more low mileage Cabs out there to choose from than Coupes. Both are great choices, and it's all highly subjective, of course.

If you remove the rear, wooden, storage cubbies there are fully carpeted seats underneath. Buy a set of Porsche lap belts and hardware and your little guys will be able to ride in the back. A bit hard on the butt, but short rides are not a problem. Seat pads can make the longer drives OK. My 11 year old doesn't complain when we need to take him and a friend somewhere. Flash has designed the chassis brace so that the use of the rear seats is not a problem.
Brian

#25 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

I took the rear cab seats one step further and installed 944 seats and seat belts. My grandsons are totally happy there.

#26 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

But one thing I love about the Coupe is its enormous sunroof. I took it off last October, and plan to keep it off all winter and spring, and will only put it back in the heat of the Austin summer (those in the colder climates would want to reverse this, of course). With the sunroof off, the driving experience rivals that of a convertible. Not exactly the same, of course, but close enough for me. Plus, having the sunroof off removes probably 20 lbs (feels more like 200 lbs when removing it) of weight from the very top of the car. So for me, the 968 Coupe gave me everything I wanted in a car, including some semblance of the open air experience, which was not available to the same degree in other potential choices like the E36 M3.

As I stated before I love both. IMO the strengths of the coupe are performance and practicality. The Cab (top down) has better lines and a true open air feel. I'm actually still very happy with my Coupe. I do wish I could have one of each but thats just not practical for me.

In the midst of all of this discussion my question was answered by Ryan a few posts back. Bottom line, I'll need to test drive one soon to feel this for myself.

#27 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

while cabs are inherently less stiff than coupes, it does not have to remain that way - there are things that can be done

there are a couple of guys (not posters on this site, but we know that at least one of them has been lurking here under an alias since august of '05) who will argue that a cab can never equal a coupe - of course those 2 will never own any of the braces, so of course THEIR cabs will never be near a coupe

i'm going to be dragging my car all over the country over the next year, going to different events - i hereby extend the offer for the opportunity for anybody to go for a ride with me in mine, and see for themselves what can be done

#28 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

i'm going to be dragging my car all over the country over the next year, going to different events - i hereby extend the offer for the opportunity for anybody to go for a ride with me in mine, and see for themselves what can be done

A touge (follow the leader style) would be a good test of suspension vs suspension. Nice of you to offer rides ( knowing how you feel about mileage :unsure: ) but your car has a lot of money invested in it: springs struts rims tires etc. Your both lighter and stiffer. The ride will show the potential and perhaps set a good goal but not something I could achieve quickly.

Springs and the braces I can do ASAP. I am interested in were that would get me.

PS. Id still take you up on the ride... B)

#29 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

no worries - there are a few guys with all 3 braces (a dozen or so i think so far), so it shouldn't be too tough to find one of them - i'm sure they would also love to take you for a spin

#30 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

I'll chime in here....

1994 Cabriolet

Koni Yellow shocks in rear, stock fronts
M030 Sways front and back (solid mounting)
Hemispherical drop links in back
Design 1 Racing Strut Brace and Under Brace
951 (Solid) Caster Blocks
Stock 16" wheels
Maintained, aligned, ride height adjusted, balanced...

Therefore, nicely modded, but not out of reach...You can have a go at mine...I know you'll be impressed with the handling.

Regards,

Jay

#31 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:36 AM

or I can offer one further variation, as I have much of the same (except that my braces predate the Design 1 offerings so I have the B-K underbrace and the KLA strut tower brace, plus Koni yellows in front and 18" wheels) and the Flash chassis stiffener. Oh, also stock rear shocks. I'm pleased with the handling.

#32 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for chiming in guys. Both set ups sound modest and well balanced. Hope to meet you soon at an event.

Jay- PA's not that far from MD. Perhaps I can take you up on that offer when the weather breaks. Might as well squeeze in some shopping while Im up there, No slaes tax !!!

#33 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:09 AM

You are always welcome...

PA does have a 6% Sales tax (7% in Philadelphia), I think you are thinking of Delaware...

I suspect that this Spring will require a serious Fun Run...

Jay

#34 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

You are always welcome...

PA does have a 6% Sales tax (7% in Philadelphia), I think you are thinking of Delaware...
Jay

Nope, talking about Reading PA. Outlets and zero sales tax, If I remember correctly.

#35 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 25 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

there are a couple of guys (not posters on this site, but we know that at least one of them has been lurking here under an alias since august of '05) who will argue that a cab can never equal a coupe - of course those 2 will never own any of the braces, so of course THEIR cabs will never be near a coupe

Apparently came to that conclusion with cardboard and popsicle sticks. :P

#36 Ryan

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • City:Louisville
  • State:KY
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

Apparently came to that conclusion with cardboard and popsicle sticks. :(

I am adding a set of "dreamsickle swayboards" and a cardboard splitter this weekend. :P

#37 J.C.

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • City:Norfolk
  • State:Virginia
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

OK, guys. Now you have me confused. I was all set to go from 944 coupe to 968 cab, and now I dunno. The main reasons I wanted to make the switch were:

1. The fun/looks of the cab :D
2. The weight issue... I would have sworn the cab was lighter. I remember how friggin heavy the sunroof and rear hatch were. :(

So, it's well documented the fun factor... can someome tell me why the cab is heavier? There's less sheet metal, isn't there? Less glass...

Argh. Thanks for your help!

Edited by J.C., 02 March 2008 - 08:12 AM.

#38 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:39 PM

actually no - the cab has a LOT more sheet metal - the entire structure is reinforced with heavy gauge metal

there is a channel across the rear, at the lower portion of the window
the rocker panels are reinforced
there is an extra floor pan on each side
the windshield frame is fully reinforced

all totalled, it is 154lbs heavier, according to the manufacturer's documentation

#39 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:56 PM

Dont forget that big mass dampener behind the doors.

#40 J.C.

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • City:Norfolk
  • State:Virginia
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

So, is there really THAT much difference performance-wise? I mean, what's another 150-ish pounds? Sounds like it's easy enough to lose about 100 lbs...

How much would I be looking at to stiffen the chassis to compare to the coupe?

thanks for the input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.