• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:46 AM

My coupe is currently for sale on ebay. What ever I get for it will be used to cover the expense of a lower mileage cab.

What I've come to love about my coupe is the handling, it just feels SO RIGHT! How much of that will I be sacrificing when add the weight that comes w/ the cab and loose the rigidity thats found in coupes.

Would love to hear from someone who has done this already or one who has both.

Thanx
David

#2 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:36 AM

If you can convince Flash to sell you his "old" cab, you'll have a cab that is reported to be more rigid than a coupe. Alternatively, you can use his add-ons and get that rigidity. See, you can have it all!!! (The "chassis brace" is a big part of this, and I think someone was looking to sell one.)

#3 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:18 AM

(The "chassis brace" is a big part of this, and I think someone was looking to sell one.)

Yes, Ive been reading about that. I want to both strengthen and lighten the car but was concerned that I may loose something that makes the experience so enjoyable.. Its hard to explain.

sigh :D I need another test drive.

#4 sbdrivingdotcom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

Interested in a 25,800 mile guards red/black cab with factory 17s and LSD? If so hit me up.

#5 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

Interested in a 25,800 mile guards red/black cab with factory 17s and LSD? If so hit me up.

My color of choice is Blk/Gray then Black/tan.
But thanx for the tip.

#6 coloradocab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • City:Monument
  • State:Colorado
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Would love to hear from someone who has done this already or one who has both.

Thanx
David

Owning both a coupe and a cab, I can say that the coupe in stock form is definitely the tighter, quicker car. Quicker I say because of the significant weight difference. Of course, after getting my coupe fairly stock, I've proceeded to modify it quite a bit, so now it's way quicker and stiffer than the cab. Of course, you can overcome this by modifying your cab.

It's very personal, but I'll say that I really prefer the lines of the cab (particularly top down), and get more pleasure from driving it on the road. It gets way more comments (positive) from folks than the coupe does, too. However, my coupe serves me well as daily driver and track car, neither of which I would even think of doing with the cab.

#7 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

Very helpful. Im getting a cab for the same reason. I love both but top down the cab makes me drool.

But this comment here--

I can say that the cab in stock form is definitely the tighter, quicker car. Quicker I say because of the significant weight difference.

Did you mean to say coupe when you said cab?
My understanding is that a stock coupe is about 200lbs less then the cab.

#8 coloradocab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • City:Monument
  • State:Colorado

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Very helpful. Im getting a cab for the same reason. I love both but top down the cab makes me drool.

But this comment here--
Did you mean to say coupe when you said cab?
My understanding is that a stock coupe is about 200lbs less then the cab.

Oops - yes. the coupe is the quicker and tighter one. Fixed the original post.

#9 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

the difference between a hardtop and cab is 154lbs in stock trim

#10 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

So how hard is it to shave 150 off of the cab?

#11 porsche

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

David,

I've had both coupes, M030 coupes and cabs. Late 94 and 95 Cabs are my favorite of the bunch.

That said, Jarrod's 92 coupe is absolutely spectacular! It may not be your first or second color choice. However, COME ON!, Guards Red on black with a black top is a wonderful color combo.

Saying you don't like red/black, is like saying you don't like tall blondes with big tits! Plus when you go to sell, there is nothing more "liquid" than Guards Red/black/black.

Jarrod has already freshened the trim on the rockers and door handles. He may have also done the belts. Plus it's well optioned with LSD and 17" wheels; and, the price is nice!

I searched for years for my 95 968 Cab. Guards Red on tan with a black top. My favorite 968 of the bunch.

Take another look at Jarrod's Cab. For me, I buy "condition" not color.

My 2 Cents,
Porsche

Past 968s:

Attached File  August_2007_016.JPG   584.46KB   44 downloads
Attached File  August_2007_012.JPG   594.82KB   37 downloads
Attached File  968_3_4_drvr.jpg   163.29KB   43 downloads

#12 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

David,

I've had both coupes, M030 coupes and cabs. Late 94 and 95 Cabs are my favorite of the bunch.

That said, Jarrod's 92 coupe is absolutely spectacular! It may not be your first or second color choice. However, COME ON!, Guards Red on black with a black top is a wonderful color combo.

Saying you don't like red/black, is like saying you don't like tall blondes with big tits! Plus when you go to sell, there is nothing more "liquid" than Guards Red/black/black.

Jarrod has already freshened the trim on the rockers and door handles. He may have also done the belts. Plus it's well optioned with LSD and 17" wheels; and, the price is nice!

I searched for years for my 95 968 Cab. Guards Red on tan with a black top. My favorite 968 of the bunch.

Take another look at Jarrod's Cab. For me, I buy "condition" not color.

My 2 Cents,
Porsche

Past 968s:

Attached File  August_2007_016.JPG   584.46KB   44 downloads
Attached File  August_2007_012.JPG   594.82KB   37 downloads
Attached File  968_3_4_drvr.jpg   163.29KB   43 downloads

:P Thats quite an endorsement. I don't even know the price!

It is right up my alley when it comes to miles, mods and service records. As well as I would love to buy from a forum member. I do like the 68 in Red however it just isn't my [u]color. Perhaps if I see it in person Id feel different.

But who knows what the future holds? It appears that my car is going to sell and I don't know how patient I can be waiting for the perfect car w/ my not so perfect budget.

#13 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

In terms of coupe or cab, picture this...

First 72 degree day of Spring, sun is shining, birds chirping, the smell of new grass growing in the field...top down, wind in your hair, tunes blasting...

Build your suspension and go for it...LOL

Regards,

Jay

#14 SILVY968

Silvy968

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • City:Sammamish
  • State:WA
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I agree. Cabs are heavier and need braces to keep them behaving on the corners and they take more care to keep them dry in rainy weather than a coup...but with the top down, the tune that I love, is heard when the engine hits 7K in first, then second, then third. The wind noise and the open air sounds can not be appreciated in a coup.

If you have ever taken a ride on a powerful motorcycle on a cool evening or a warm morning, you know what I mean.

Having owned both, I prefer the cab for driving enjoyment. For track time the coupe wins; but for a daily driver, even in rainy Seattle, I LOVE my cab.

Brian

The rear tire, jack and tool kit can be replaced with a can of flat tire goo fix or an AAA card. ( =/- 25#)
The resonant damper over the pass wheel in the trunk can be removed. (=/- 40#)
Remove the rear wooden cubby storage bins. ( there is carpet below ) (+/- 20#)

My guess is about 85-95 pounds reduction in about 30 minutes for about $8 for the tire repair in a can.

Modify the exhaust system and drop more weight.

flash has many posts on this subject. Search them out for more details.

Brian

#15 Ryan

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • City:Louisville
  • State:KY
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

Coupe is the more practical daily driver, but emotion wins out every time. I don't drive my coupe any more.

The Vert is so much more enjoyable. (except the windburn from a road trip) Open air baby!!!

#16 spectre996

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

That depends on how aggressive you are willing to be with a chop saw and angle grinder :P . Is it absolutely essential that the car is still able to run when your done?

#17 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

Coupe is the more practical daily driver, but emotion wins out every time. I don't drive my coupe any more.

The Vert is so much more enjoyable. (except the windburn from a road trip) Open air baby!!!

We have gotten a little OT.

Ryan. As you drive the cab down a familiar road do you noticed the difference in weight and rigidity?

PS your cab looks great but stop neglecting the coupe!

#18 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • City:Canning, NS, Canada
  • State:Nova Scotia
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:12 AM

I have both - a 92 coupe 6-speed and a 92 cap tip. Neither have very many options. I like them both. For everyday driving to work, I like the coupe. Faster and handles better. It also has 5 times the km and is not is as good condition. So what. Still more fun. For the weekend or the odd showoff day I like the cab. It is still almost new.

#19 sbdrivingdotcom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

As a follow up, my 92 red/black cab will be featured in an upcoming book by Randy Leffingwell on the history of Porsche cars in North America. Both my cobalt blue coupe and red/black cab will be the lone 968 representatives and I have many fine pictures and an autographed book when it comes out. Thanks to Porsche for the endorsement. He knows cars in top condition because he's owned so many awesome cars.

You would be hard pressed to find a lower mile, better optioned cab around. Just won concours in Santa Barbara in October. The car is stunning. Not only that, but I've recently put $6,000 of service in the car replacing anything and everything including belts, rollers, water pump, seals, gaskets, you name it. It even has a brand new Porsche battery. It's a one owner, female driven time machine.

Attached Files

#20 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

at 14k miles, and just purchased for $19k, i'm feeling pretty good about the one i just found too - and it came with the side moldings, and the 993 Cup 17" wheels, as well as the uber rare grey top

it just goes to show that low mileage very clean cars may be hard to find, but they are out there - you just have to snatch them up when you find them, with no delays or hesitations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.