• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • City:Monument
  • State:Colorado
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

We can now announce the dates of the 2008 Celebration. It will be held in conjunction with PCA's annual Escape (alternative to Parade), Sept 18-21, 2008.

Plans are coming together, but mark the dates now. It should be an ideal time to visit a wonderful part of the country and enjoy the company of your 968 friends, and as a bonus, we'll be part of a very large national PCA event. Bob Blackwell and I will be sharing more info as things get set, but we wanted to let you know this much for now.

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

i'm in

let me know how i can help

#3 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

I don't know if "I'm in" but I've put it on my calendar.

#4 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

I'm still hoping someone will pick up the mantle and hold a 968 Celebration East Coast on the very same weekend.

Absolutely no disrespect to your event, I'm sure it will be first class.

Regards,

Jay

#5 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

knock that off - i don't want to see simultaneous celebrations - i want to go to all of them, and i can't do that if there are more than one within 3 days of each other

#6 Renalicious

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

Aww man!! I'm planning on going to Europe in Sept 2008! :(!!
But II will at least try to be at Hershey next year. Don't know if I'll drive in, or fly in. Flying might be cheaper ;)

#7 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:32 PM

where are your priorities?

#8 coloradocab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • City:Monument
  • State:Colorado

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

I'm still hoping someone will pick up the mantle and hold a 968 Celebration East Coast on the very same weekend.

Absolutely no disrespect to your event, I'm sure it will be first class.

Regards,

Jay

The idea is to get lots of you Eastern guys and gals to come West and join us! At least I think that's what Don's thinking was. Bob Blackwell and I (along with others) have driven to the Celebrations on the East coast twice now (putting over 7000 fun miles on our cars)...it's actually a bonding experience with your car to drive it long distances to events!

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

yup - flew once - drove once - i had a blast doing it too (bad weather and all) - i towed, but that's me - less wear and tear on the car, but more wear and tear on me, as it took twice as long

i highly recommend it - all you woosies out there that keep coming up with lame excuses to stay home (kid's soccer game, aunt's birthday, vollyball tournament, crochet club, yada yada) need to quit whining about not making it to these events, suck it up, and make the run - done right (good hotels, good restuarants, non-car events, etc) these are a great couples getaway - make it a driving vacation - stop along the way - have fun

you all have plenty of advance notice - plenty of time to arrange the time off, budget the money in, get the babysitter.......... (getting the point?)

yes, that was the sound of the gauntlet crashing to the ground - lol

heck - i'll even host a "slumber party" for those who want to funnel through here en route - we can make a big caravan out of it

#10 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

yup - flew once - drove once - i had a blast doing it too (bad weather and all) - i towed, but that's me - less wear and tear on the car, but more wear and tear on me, as it took twice as long

i highly recommend it - all you woosies out there that keep coming up with lame excuses to stay home (kid's soccer game, aunt's birthday, vollyball tournament, crochet club, yada yada) need to quit whining about not making it to these events, suck it up, and make the run - done right (good hotels, good restuarants, non-car events, etc) these are a great couples getaway - make it a driving vacation - stop along the way - have fun

you all have plenty of advance notice - plenty of time to arrange the time off, budget the money in, get the babysitter.......... (getting the point?)

yes, that was the sound of the gauntlet crashing to the ground - lol

heck - i'll even host a "slumber party" for those who want to funnel through here en route - we can make a big caravan out of it

Couldn't agree more...I'm thinking of making the journey, but haven't decide how yet. The wife and I are long overdue for a vacation, so flying makes the most sense to enjoy more of the time...BUT...I do have a trailer that I need to get road worthy and I can't imagine attending a 968 event without my 968! Flash, at least you had Pete's silver/blue coupe for the fun run in '06!! I'm on the fence but have one leg over on the side of attending, so we'll see how it goes. You're right...plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements. I'll mark the calendar and tell the wife. C'mon Jay...tell Melva we'll make it a foursome - but I can't pull two cars!!!

- Darryl

#11 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:27 PM

that's the spirit!

think of it - how fun would the caravans be? our own little "lap of america" kind of thing

#12 uscarrera

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:32 AM

Funny thing about this announcement was just talking to my wife about a visit to Albuquerque as a vaction in the spring of 2008, do not think I can wait till Sept to make that trip, but if I buy a street 968 between now and then might make a second nice fall trip for my son and I. Will satrt looking for street 968, that gives me 10+ months to find the right car. Checkbook in hand!!
Rich

#13 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

Amazing! An event just one state over (though being in central Texas, nothing is exactly close). I'll start working on my wife, and hopefully we'll be able to make it. Any idea which part of New Mexico the event will be in?

#14 bob blackwell

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

Yes, the event will be staged in Albuquerque (good highway access with I-25 and I-40 crossing in the middle of town). We will have several interesting drives and attractions around the state for your enjoyment. Come on out and see why it is called "The Land of Enchantment"! Bob Blackwell.

#15 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • City:Hershey
  • State:PA

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

Bob and Chris,

Looking forward to attending the 968 Celebration in Albuquerque in September! Not sure whether my wife Elke will be coming since she remembers our 6000 mile - 17 day trip to Las Vegas last November with our Prius Hybrid (47mpg avg)! We took the southern route since weather was iffy but I will probably be able to make it quicker with a more direct route - plus I will be driving the speedy 968 Coupe. Hey, I will finally be able to "break her cherry" - the car - estimate I will have almost 17K on the odometer upon my return. That should take away some of the constant harassment I take due to having a "garage queen" - lol! ;)

As I understand it, this event (as were the 5 Hershey Celebrations) will also be hosted by the local PCA Region (Roadrunner Region) and will be an official PCA 968 Register event, in conjunction with the Escape event. This means that PCA will provide some funding plus insurance for the event. Of course, I will provide Chris and Bob with any support they need (I sent them all the info from the 2007 event). :P

Look forward to seeing all of you there! :D

redbaron (also known as Don)
PCA 968 Register Advocate

#16 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

plus I will be driving the speedy 968 Coupe. Hey, I will finally be able to "break her cherry" - the car - estimate I will have almost 17K on the odometer upon my return. That should take away some of the constant harassment I take due to having a "garage queen" - lol! ;)

HA HA Nope, we will still harass you. But wow, a 50%+ increase on the odometer should get you the largest percentage increase in total miles award for this celebration. :P

#17 sguy

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:26 AM

Are there any 'speed events' associated with this get together e.g., autocross, track-day, etc.? That would add to the attraction. Cheers,

#18 bob blackwell

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

No, one of the attractions of the Escape is that there are no competition events at all. Purely a social gathering with drive-outs and car displays. PCA set it up this way to be an alternative to Parade which has competitive events i.e. concours, rally and autocross. I will investigate the possibility of having a non-competitive track event (Drivers Education) at the track and see if that is acceptable to PCA. We have a great track just outside the city limits which we run on. Details to follow, Bob Blackwell.

#19 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

I'm working on a deal with a client who has 6 locations in NM so I may actually get to make it.

#20 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • City:Hershey
  • State:PA

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Mark,

Look forward to seeing you in Albuquerque! Actually, since I have previously won "Best Coupe" and "Least Miles" awards at previous 968 Celebrations held over the last 7 years, I am ineligible for these awards (968 Celebration rules - gives everyone a chance at winning these awards rather than the same person winning lst place over and over ;) ) and am looking forward to a shot at "farthest distance" but could get knocked out by our Co Advocate, Jeff Coe (CT) with his new Mint Green Cabriolet or our Webmaster Ron Salvador (NY) and his Black Coupe.

This could be our biggest 968 Celebration ever!!!!! :P

redbaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.