• State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:00 AM

yup - not the end of the world hard, but not gentle either

these cars were not designed as 1/4 mile cars, so i do not recommend doing that very often, especially on a stock setup

it is a good test though to find the state of things - just make sure you have a cell phone and a AAA card handy if you don't know the car

#23 douglas751

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

W.T.F?

#24 midblue

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

Sorry I missed seeing your car Howard.

Danno......After the last go around at my (yes I have absolutley paid for his kids college and now thier advanced degrees) mechanic I no longer have any leaks....so there!

Ron
94 coupe/6 speed

#25 911hw

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

Thank you Bob L for looking over the car, test drove it and fixed a few things. On the way home from PCH entry to 10 east, stepped on the gas pedal, the car just keep pulling, before I knew it, the car was going close to 100 mph! No regrets, I think I am really going to enjoying this car for many yrs to come.

Dan, thanks for the welcome. I had meet you 2 yrs ago at the German Autofest around the time when someone discovered the foglight incidence :( Enjoyed your humerous posts and looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Ron, too bad we missed you on Saturday am. I am sure there will other oppurtuinities to meet soon since we don't live too way from each other. In the mean time, I will try to cleanup/detail the car's interior, getting ready for your "inspection":P

Tigershark, the phote was from previous owner's backyard at Albuquerque, NM.

Howard

#26 ether_joe

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

On the way home from PCH entry to 10 east, stepped on the gas pedal, the car just keep pulling, before I knew it, the car was going close to 100 mph!  No regrets,  I think I am really going to enjoying this car for many yrs to come.

yeah, that's soookewl. I also find myself nudging 100 without a whole lot of effort, especially around here when traffic is doing 85. . .

#27 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

These cars just relentlessly gain speed. A very Porsche characteristic!

Thank you Bob L for looking over the car, test drove it and fixed a few things.  On the way home from PCH entry to 10 east, stepped on the gas pedal, the car just keep pulling, before I knew it, the car was going close to 100 mph!  No regrets,  I think I am really going to enjoying this car for many yrs to come.

Dan, thanks for the welcome.  I had meet you 2 yrs ago at the German Autofest around the time when someone discovered the foglight incidence :)  Enjoyed your humerous posts and looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Ron, too bad we missed you on Saturday am.  I am sure there will other oppurtuinities to meet soon since we don't live too way from each other.  In the mean time, I will try to cleanup/detail the car's interior, getting ready for your "inspection":)

Tigershark, the phote was from previous owner's backyard at Albuquerque, NM.

Howard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#28 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

Dan, thanks for the welcome.  I had meet you 2 yrs ago at the German Autofest around the time when someone discovered the foglight incidence :)  Enjoyed your humerous posts and looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, THAT Howard ! :) Likewise, hope to see you again soon. I'm in
So Cal several times a year, and always make a point to see some 968 friends when in the area, so I'm sure it won't be too long.

Ron, you and me both - your mechanic's kids are in the Stanford MBA program thanks to you, and my mechanic's kids ( he works on both the MBZ and the P-car ) are basking in the sun somewhere at a Four Seasons resort in Marbella...thanks to me. :angry:

Guys, " close to 100 MPH " ? Come on, I exit my garage at that speed :) :P

Off topic - saw a Cayman S next to me driving home today - the front is so-so, IMHO, but the side and the back... damn FUGLY !! again, IMHO of course.. sure, "beauty is in the eye of..", and all that jazz, but I'd still take a 968 over that any day !

#29 ether_joe

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

Guys,  " close to 100 MPH " ?  Come on, I exit my garage at that speed  :) :)

guys he's not kidding. I tried to set a hot pace on our Paso Robles run and he just hammered us all.

#30 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

only went 140 - the straightaways are too short on that highway, which is great for the handling attributes of the car, but not too conducive to top speeds..

160 a couple of times on 101 on the way to LA, but definitely was not going to max the speedometer needle THAT weekend, coming back from WINE tasting of all things.. !! I can just picture some CHP looking at his radar and thinking :
" woo-hoo, I'm gonna make lieutenant for sure "

#31 josephsc

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:37 PM

It's not about "how fast you go" -- it's "how you go fast". IMHO, going fast in a straight line isn't exciting.

These cars handle phenomenally well in turns. There are a couple of freeway interchanges in LA where I regularly find myself pushing 100mph. My favorite is EB-105 to SB-405 interchange (the WB-105 to NB-405 is also good) next to LAX. You have to watch out for the occasional CHiPer at the end of the turn, but they are nice wide sweepers through a tunnel, but enough room to manuever if a car in front of you hits the brakes inside the turn :lol: . The chicane at the end of I-10 going to PCH is also fun -- except for the bump in the road and too many people taking the turn at the posted speed.

#32 midblue

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

Joe- you nailed that bump on PCH right before the tunnel. That bump could not be located in a worse spot! It will upset the line I take every time.

Ron
94 coupe/6 speed

#33 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:09 PM

lol - i know that one - next time, drop a gear, take the inside lane and let the rear wheels drift a bit - then punch like hell on the way out - nerve wracking but faster

#34 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

It's not about "how fast you go" -- it's "how you go fast".  IMHO, going fast in a straight line isn't exciting.
These cars handle phenomenally well in turns.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, yes and no. Going 120 or 130 in a straight line may not be all that exciting, but 150-160 feels pretty friggin' exhilarating ( to me, anyway..)

And sure it's a lot of fun taking the 968 trough some fast twisties, but having driven a 944 for more than a decade and a half, the 968 just does not feel to me nearly as great going around the bend as did its predecessor...so in that sense, I am less impressed by how well it corners and tend to get a much bigger thrill out of the power. I could be wrong, but in my experience the stock 944 will outcorner the stock 968 without much effort. Too bad the 944 is gutless though, so when you come out of that corner stomping on the gas... snails overtake you :blink:
I guess that's why they made the 951.

But you have the 944S2.. sure , 968 engine and all that, but stock suspension in both, right ? Is your experience cornering with the two cars different than my take on this ?

#35 josephsc

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:56 PM

Yea, I guess I don't find myself at 150mph often enough. Call me 'gutless', but I think the fear of getting pulled over will overwhelm any excitement that I get! I try to have my fun in the double-digit speeds.

Flash, I'll have to try your line later this week!

To be honest, I rarely drive the S2 (it really is a loaner car -- a visiting friend has had it for the past year). And 951 is a garage queen -- but even when I drive it, I haven't quite figured out how to avoid the turbo lag, especially while negotiating a turn. But I agree that the 968 feels a little 'off' around the corners. I think somehow heavier... On the other hand, the stock 944 suspension feels a tad soft for my liking.

There are easy fixes for both: you can stiffen the suspension and you can lose some weight. Well, some of you guys can lose some weight -- I don't have much to begin with :blink: .

#36 Nenehubert

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • City:Houston
  • State:TX

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:13 AM

Damn, am I in the worst part of the country or what? I feel so left out :blink: :P

#37 Leonard

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:45 AM

Nenehubert,

Try HWY 71 or HWY 7,

HWY 7 at one point several years ago was voted top 10 in the country by Car and Driver.

We have an excellent drive at Porschepalooza in Eureka Springs ( Nov. 10, 11, 12 ) NW Arkansas. We had three 968s last year and we will have many more this year....including some cool cars from these forums. Hope to see you there!

Leonard :blink:

#38 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

joseph - you will end up using both lanes, so be careful, but i've popped out of there at over 100 by doing that - that concrete wall can be very intimidating though - the crown on the left lane wants to push you to the outside

this is NOT for the faint of heart

#39 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:04 AM

damn, what the h**l is this dead man's curve area you guys are talking about ? Don't MAKE me come to LA to test it out ! :blink:

#40 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

lol - it's just a big nasty pothole at the entry to the tunnel headed north on PCH as you transition from 10 to 1 - the natural line wants you in the outside lane at that point - i found though, that if i drove through it like i would in a 911, took it early, let it drift a bit and plowed through, i can push through faster - tough to do though - we don't have a front light car - it would be a mess too, if there was a nother turn after that

kid's, don't try this at home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.