• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • City:huntington beach
  • State:california
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

..... - at least one new motor every year has historically been a given for me - the idea that this one can go a couple of years is amazing - .....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your lubrication strategy is all wrong then. In the quest for the ultimate power formula - longevity be damned - switch to 5W-20 synthetic. you are losing tons of power due to churning running 15W-50. Run it like a qualifying motor, not the race motor, you still should get two to three years between rebuilds.

#42 Royal Tiger

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:41 AM

Flash, slightly OT, but the local import dealer I frequent who let me drive a nice 928 S4 and a SL600, just got in two really nice Prancing Horses; a 1980 308 GTBi with 16,000 miles and a 1987 Testarossa with 6,000. The 308 is red over black, the Testarossa is red over tan. After a few courtesy rides in various marked cars, and 1 unmarked, I made him promise me a ride in the Testarossa.

#43 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:53 AM

dave - what i was referring to was the pattern with the mgb - a rebuild wouldn't get you 80k driven gingerly - 40k was typical on a multi-use car - one season was pretty normal on a race car - oil really wasn't a factor - the carb had to be set so rich for top end power, that down low there was fuel wash

remember though, if you want ot be competitive, even 95% motors are not good enough, so rebuilds come a lot more frequently

that is what i was used to having to do, at 15k a pop - the street cars would go 3-4 years - this one should go double that for me - that's very cool

i never really lked the testarossa - too gaudy for me - fast car though - cool that you got to go for a spin - a whole different experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.