• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

I'm in the market for a 968 and came across a few in my price range (9000) w/ about 150K on them. A bit high for a 93/94 I think. But thats a large part in why its affordable.

Q- Have any of you w/ higher mileage found that the engines become more expensive to keep up or unreliable at a certain point?

#2 ron1688

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • City:Elk Grove
  • State:CA
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

I'm in the market for a 968 and came across a few in my price range (9000) w/ about 150K on them. A bit high for a 93/94 I think. But thats a large part in why its affordable.

Q- Have any of you w/ higher mileage found that the engines become more expensive to keep up or unreliable at a certain point?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My first 968 had 83k when I got it. As far as PM and major repairs are concern, it's about the same amount of work as my current car (has 27K now). However, as with any high mileage car (especially 944, 951 and 968), little annoying items will break, switch here, relay there, plastic trim piece here, door handle there and so on and on and on... Lastly, these little annoying parts are not cheap even recycled ones...

#3 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

the mileage by itself, isn't that scarey - it's all about the condition of the car, and what has been done to it

how much are you willing to dedicate to the maintenance budget? - without getting into cars with that high mileage, you can expect 2 grand a year

you know the drill - you get what you pay for

if, at 150k, they haven't done a top end, or variocam service, i would think you would be looking at a 5k repair bill in the next year or two tops - on top of that, depending on what else has been changed, you can expect that just about every suspension component is about due, and it is probably just about ready for its third clutch

that being said, if you did it all, you'd be in for about 20k - you would, however, have a very strong car at that point

spend it now, or spend it later

if 9k is all you have, i think you would be better served getting a 944 of some type

this all presumes you don't want to sit on the car, not drive it, and just tinker over a long period

if you found a car for 9k that has the stuff already done, snatch it quick

#4 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

if 9k is all you have, i think you would be better served getting a 944 of some type

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, a showroom quality 951 with less than 25,000mi... $ 9k will get you more like three 944s :D jeez, just when you think our car's values are the pits ..

I'd go for the 968, set aside a few $ks to bring it up to an acceptable level, and I think you'll be a happy camper. ( not to take away anything from the 944 - for its
current market value, I still think it's the best thing on four wheels - alongside the 968 in a very close second place :) )

#5 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

that being said, if you did it all, you'd be in for about 20k - you would, however, have a very strong car at that point

spend it now, or spend it later

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OUCH! Did U say 20K!

I drove a 951 and Ive been hooked on Porsche ever since. I've actually only read about the 968 but I was very impressed with everything that Ive read. Such as the suspension is superior to the 951. The 951 I drove had excellent road feel.

The pay now or pay later is sound advice. I'm gonna keep my eyes open and keep saving.
Thanx

#6 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:06 PM

yeah - unfortunately that is the way it works - you'll hear stories about how somebody found this car or that for 11k - what they won't tell you is how much they spent over the next couple of years - that's how you have to think about these cars too - don't get me wrong - they are great cars, and can be very reliable - it really is about how the car has been maintained

much of it comes down to your standards too - if you are willing to forgive cosmetic stuff, you can find some decent deals

at any rate, take your time - get a good record of the state of the car - buy the one you want

#7 Greimann

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • City:huntington beach
  • State:california

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

OUCH! Did U say 20K!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't let Flash scare you. That is to build a concours car or a top notch autocrosser.

If you want to buy a driver and keep it running, the sum will be much less. Just know there are some potentially expensive "gotchas".

Head and cam repairs due to a broken belt or worn variocam mechanism.
Clutch kit.
Pinion bearing.
Basic suspension components like shocks.

Browse the forums, learn the maintenance items and look at the mainstream parts vendors for prices.

#8 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

not nearly a top notch anything - add another 15k for that - heck, the paint job alone would be 8k

car 9k
valve job 3k
variocam service at least 1k
clutch job 1.5k
suspension bushings, shocks and struts 3k

that's 17.5k without even blinking - all of this can be expected with a 150k car with no previous work like this - that was my premise

i'm not trying to scare anybody, but this is reality - age and miles mean money - it's really all about how it has been maintained up to this point - if some of the stuff has been done, then you are ahead of the game

#9 Greimann

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

First, your initial post seemed to indicate that the 20k was on top of the purchase price of the car.
Second, If the car runs and drives, those items are discretionary until they prove themselves to be required replacement. Certainly it will start and drive everyday for the price of gas and oil.

#10 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Greimann, I'm putting hours into this board everyday. I'm learning a lot from you guys w/o asking questions, just reading about how your enjoying the car and dealing w/ headaches.

Flash- My standards are probably too high for what I can get in the 9K range. I can deal w/ minor scratchs and small dings but the interior has to be pristine. I'm all for the show and shine. I may need a couple thousand more. We shall see.

#11 Greimann

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

9 won't do it then. It will be somewhat of a project. Figure about, oh I don't know, ~19.9k :D

#12 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

hmmm - no - i meant 20k total

as for start and drive - today maybe, but remember dave, we were talking about 150k miles on the car - on the presumption that no major service has been done to mitigate the expenses, do you really think that you are going to go very far without those numbers? most guys are getting valve jobs by then - variocam is overdue - if the suspension is original, it's sure to be shot - most clutches last about 80k, so that would be near the end of the second one

i'm sure there is the oddball car out there that has been meticulously maintained at that mileage (i think joseph just got one) but it is the rarety, and i don't think he got it for 9k

again, it's really all about how the car was maintained - if they waited until something broke to fix it, you're paddling upstream - if they changed things at the first sign of issue, then you stand a better chance

#13 ether_joe

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:50 PM

there's a guy on R.L. who's got a ~200K car for sale, according to him it's very well maintained, he seems like an enthusiast who just drives a lot of highway miles. It was selling for $9K ish.

#14 sasilverbullet

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:46 AM

I agree with just about everything said so far - my car has 150,000 on it and is running strong.

If you are contemplating getting a 120,000 or over mileage car, make sure it's had a new head gasket. If not, plan on about $3,500 for a new head gasket and variocam parts and other miscellaneous items. There was a thread a while back when my head gasket went and the concensus was that our engines (and all aluminum head and block engines) will need a new head gasket about every 120,000 miles or so.

Otherwise, I LIKE high mileage cars, you can get 'em cheap!

#15 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Theres a green one listed on this forum in TX thats going for 11,5. Interior is just what I was looking for but I would have to buy it unseen. I read about the PPI already and would have that done in TX on my dime ofcourse and I'm fine w/ that. I also appreciate the many issues to look for that you guys are making me aware of. The only hold up is the color. I really want black and I want it to be the orig color. So as was stated patience is the key.

#16 josephsc

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

I wouldn't fear a high mileage vehicle as long maintenance has been done on time and properly. Heck, we've seen well maintained 944's hit 300k mile range -- I'd expect the 968 to do the same or better.

I recently came across a 1992 175k mile cab in California -- the PO loved the car and took ridiculous amount of care on it. New tires and control arms in the past 1k miles. Clutch, timing belt, brake pads/rotors, and convertible top in the past 15k miles. The interior/exterior looks absolutely gorgeous -- even the engine bay is clean. There's even a sound system with a sub woofer, a capacitor, XM/ipod and extra sound proofing in the panels.

However, the problem with high mileage car is that the market is very thin -- if you buy one, be prepared to be married to it. A high mileage car has practically no resale opportunity because only an enthusiast who knows these car would even consider it. Frankly, if I didn't know the model, I would never buy a car with 150k+ miles and shy away from those with 100k+ miles.

Anyways, the PO for this car bought a Cayman and his wife wanted the 968 out. He found practically no buyers because of the mileage -- noone would touch it. It did eventually sell for $11k.

Now, in your budget range, I would also remain open-minded about 944S2. Granted, the S2 doesn't have the refined styling of the 968 (headlights, door handles, aero mirrors, taillights, spoiler, door panel, analog clock, thermometer, etc, etc....), lacks the Variocam (so 29hp less) and lacks the 6-speed transmission. But the benefits are the cost -- high mileage S2 are hitting sub $5k and mid-mileage S2 can be found in the $7-9k range.

there's a guy on R.L. who's got a ~200K car for sale, according to him it's very well maintained, he seems like an enthusiast who just drives a lot of highway miles. It was selling for $9K ish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you thing of Ted Wright's car in upstate NY? If so, that was a LSD car that's he bought from another R.L.er. I believe it eventually sold, though....

#17 sasilverbullet

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:23 PM

That one in Texas is in Austin and it's the same color as my car! He just had a engine rebuild at the expense of the insurance company. Previous owner drove through high water and the engine seized.

If I had an extra $12K laying around I'd buy it in a heart beat!!!

Double the pleasure, double the fun!!!!

#18 Royal Tiger

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:13 PM

Rhudeboye, I hope your manners and attitude are better here then on .net. So far they are. Good luck and I hope you find a nice car you can live with.

#19 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

Tiger. Now Y U gotta bring that up. ha ha ha. I'm not actually rude. 4 all U know I'm not even a boy! I still don't see how that comment was rude. Anyhoo I meant no harm.

Now, theres a member here who autoX his 968. 1st I said no way I'm buying a car thats been under that stress. But for the money its appearing to be a good deal. So long as the frame is OK. I can save another 3-4K in a few months so I'm still deciding.

Bullet- Once U buy it U may B stuck with it. That very thought crossed my mind today as I'm about to list my MR2. The MR2s actually sell fast. I lost on 2 of them to people offering over the asking price. Where as some of the 944s and 968s seem to hang for over a month

#20 ether_joe

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:59 PM

I've got it - 'rude boy' - you're in JAMAICA right?

yeah mon!

'you no cyann keep dem youths from fighting, fighting. . .'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.