Is it better to buy a cabriolet then a coupe?

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

#21 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

I still say the cab is the better choice. It is a more distinctive looking vehicle. It seems more fun too when most people's daily driver is a regular sedan or coupe.

#22 lbpesq

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • City:Oakland
  • State:California
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Whichever one a person likes is the better choice for them. Personally, I prefer ragtops. I also think the ragtop version of most cars looks better, with the exception of the Jaguar E-Type. And, commenting on the related discussion on this thread, I think Flash states the correct position. Unless one is prepared to sink at least $20K initially into the initial purchase and and repair of the car, one should probably pass on a 968. The first 968 Cab I looked at, the seller wanted $10K and it needed at least $10K of work. I paid a bit more for mine, but it needed a lot less work. When all was said and done, either choice would have cost me about the same in the long run. That's the way it is with just about any old car - one should buy the best example they can afford - it's cheaper in the long run.

#23 paulzebo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • City:scottsdale
  • State:Arizona
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Is it better to buy a cabriolet then a coupe? Buy what you personally like, preferably with good maintenance records. Most people are either Coupe guys or convertible guys. I prefer a coupe because there is less road noise and it has a great looking rear spoiler. If you are of the mindset it is an "investment" which you will see a return on your money, 99.999% of the time you will be wrong. Not just on the 968, but any car nowadays. Saying that, it is my belief at some point the 968 value will reverse and start to go upward. Of the 4600 imported, I doubt half are currently running. Many are in recycling yards beyond repair or parted out for more money that the total vehicle was worth. Collisions or lack of maintenance has caused great attrition to the original number. The maintenance aspect is only going to get worse as critical parts begin to get scarce. Like the variocam tensioner unit for instance. If it fails, you are basically in walk mode until you're lucky to find one. Will it ever appreciate enough to recover all your costs? No, not if you take care of it. Drive what you like, but like what you drive. The money is secondary.

Edited by paulzebo, 08 September 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#24 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Clearly a coupe is better.

#25 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

If the top goes down, the price goes up.

JMO,

Jay

#26 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

ii am quite certain that you aren't done yet sorting through things, and it won't stop once you do.

no matter which car you get, cab or hardtop, you can expect to spend nearly $20k on a hardtop, and $25k on a cab, including purchase, within the first 2 years of ownership.

word

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.