Is it better to buy a cabriolet then a coupe?

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

#1 Polizei

968 Forums Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • City:Hamburg
  • State:New York
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

With the age of the 968 do you think it's better to buy a cabriolet then a coupe? We all want the performance of a Porsche, but do you think the cabriolet are in better shape because they might not have been driven as hard as a coupe?

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

very tough question to answer. cabs generally aren't driven as much, but that also tends to have the owner falsely thinking that the car doesn't need anything. in reality, the rubber stuff rots away like that. also, cab interiors tend to be more sun beaten.

it really comes down to what you want to drive though. i'm a cab guy through and through, but i also see the advantages of a hardtop.

#3 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

I think the answer is yes. Coupes tend to have been used more (or longer) as a DD.

#4 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,544 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

:popcorn:

#5 SILVY968

Silvy968

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • City:Sammamish
  • State:WA
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

cabs are more fun to drive!
Brian

#6 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

The ONLY advantage I can see in choosing a cab instead of a coupe is that, IMO, not just now but for many years to come it will look far less dated than the coupe. Although I must say that with so many high end GT / sports cars in the last 2-3 years coming out with either a full hatchback or a quasi-hatchback, it probably does take some years off of our coupes in the public eye :-) Lucky tne body design is so classic and beautiful that it will stand tne test of time. Still, the edge goes to tne cabs in that respect.

#7 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

I got a opportunity to get a screaming deal on my Porsche. Being a cab, it sold the wife since she won't ride the back of the Harley down here.
I think if my car was a coupe, I might have just let it go - but I will tell you, if I had bought it and had to put the same money in it as my cab, I would have bailed by now and sold it.

My car only had 44,001 on the clock when I bought it, so...no problems with interior.

I think it comes down to your personal taste and what you want. Many of the cab guys seem to complain about the tops and the effort to lower and raise them. To me this is not an issue. I think there are similar rides that have more convenient top mechanisms though....when I watch my buddy raise/lower the top on his 2013 427 cab vette, and the ease with the hatch cover, I get a bit jealous, but ours was the technology at the time and you have to be okay with that.

again, the cab top was what sold the wife. This way she can enjoy it too even though she can't drive a stick. It gives us a joint hobby and time to be together. I don't think it would be the same with a coupe.

#8 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

ink - i really hate to belabor this point, especially as you have been so enthusiastic and involved, rivaling even tama's initial participation levels, but i think you are going to be sadly disappointed and constantly frustrated by this car. if the expense is already bothering you, i fear you will not be happy. i am quite certain that you aren't done yet sorting through things, and it won't stop once you do.

no matter which car you get, cab or hardtop, you can expect to spend nearly $20k on a hardtop, and $25k on a cab, including purchase, within the first 2 years of ownership. in 9 years of watching this, that is the average. some spend more. some spend a little less (but not much). you can then expect to spend an average of at $1k every year you own it after that. some years will be nil. some years will be $3k. but, it averages out to about $1k a year.

#9 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

I can live with a grand a year, it is the initial startup that is killing me especially since I have another car to finish the restoration on...I have had the cab since April, and have only had two outings in it so far. 11K for less than 200 miles - that works out to $55 a mile! Yikes!!!

But I understand what you are saying. I just want to be able to take the wife out in it...If that works out great, if not I sell it and get something different...I am giving it the benefit of the doubt since it was sitting for 5 years, but at some point the cost per mile has to go down or I won't be happy - lol

#10 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,544 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Flash,

I agree with what you're saying, but don't your comments apply to pretty much any 20-year-old car, particularly one that's sporting in nature? To me, the only way to keep the cost of ownership of a car this old at a reasonable level is to do all your work yourself, which not everybody is willing or able to do.

#11 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hey, HEY now! Ain't nobody rivalin' the Tama!... :rolleyes:

I do agree with flash on this point - I've been watching inked's posts since inception, and they mirror the majority of new Porsche owners' experience - and mine, as my first two P-cars were - 1. WOOHOO, 2. Whoops, 3. Uh-oh, 4. Ooofff, 5. Off with this money pit! @#$!

That's not to say it's not possible to enjoy, but speaking in gross generalities, it's my experience that if you keep track of the costs that closely, a P-car is not for you. So, stop keeping track! :)

#12 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Flash,
I agree with what you're saying, but don't your comments apply to pretty much any 20-year-old car, particularly one that's sporting in nature? To me, the only way to keep the cost of ownership of a car this old at a reasonable level is to do all your work yourself, which not everybody is willing or able to do.

I've often wondered the same thing..especially with Japanese cars of the same era which are so relaible they seem indestructible, but would a performance car like the NSX be any more reliable and less of a headache than the 968 is ?? No clue, although I'd bet that the 968 is way less problematic compared to Italian or British GT/ sports cars. As for how it compares to 20 year old 911s or BMWs , again, no clue.

Edited by ds968, 07 September 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#13 ron1688

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • City:Elk Grove
  • State:CA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have owned, an NSX which I gave to my son, I still own a final edition Lotus Esprit and the 968. As far as reliability, neither the NSX or the 968 in the last 12 years have left me stranded. The lotus, I cant even count the number of times I have had issues or waited for a flatbed. Still, when the car is running right..it's a close to driving Nirvana as I have experienced. So I put up with the headache. The NSX is a little bit cheaper but not much more than the 968. Owning these types of cars are never cheap and if you fall in love with one, like a beautiful woman, you are going to be spending money on it every chance you get.. This year alone, I have already dumped over 15k and I have driven the car less than 3k this year.

#14 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • City:No longer a Member
  • State:No Longer a Member
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

As for the choice of cab versus coupe, it is all personal preference and what you want the car for. If it is a weekend car and the weather suits, why not a cab. If it is twisty roads and a bit of spirited driving, then either. If it is track work, the coupe. As for values, the CS was the cheapest model, but it the one that retains its value the best. Over here, the auto cabriolet was the most expensive and is the cheapest to buy now - so go figure.

#15 J.C.

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • City:Norfolk
  • State:Virginia
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

$9000 purchase
$5000 initial maintenance
$7000 D1R SC and new rims/wheels
$5000 general maintenance for 5 years (rough estimate)
--------
$26000 for pure cab fun. Name a comparable car in terms of fun and performance, look at the price of it - your monthly payment. Find out how quick you will reach $26000.... and then pass it in about 6 years. I will hit 6 years ownership next year, at which point the total expenditure on a new car will surpass the 968.

I've lived in four different cities now since buying the car... and while Tucson, AZ was usually great for owning a cab, Virginia Beach is AWESOME. Top down most days.

#16 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I wish I still had my 1979 Celica Supra. - That car was Fun with a capital F! It went through snow like a 4 x 4 and was fffffast!

Paid 800 bucks for it and drove it like I stole it.

Hey, HEY now! Ain't nobody rivalin' the Tama!... :rolleyes:

Not trying to oust Tama out of any records here - lo

1. WOOHOO, 2. Whoops, 3. Uh-oh, 4. Ooofff, 5. Off with this money pit! @#$!
So, stop keeping track! :)

I am trying to keep an open mind, but as I said, if I don't start to get a return from it....off it goes! I bought the thing with the expectation of driving it once in a while. So far, that has not happened. Since I bought it, I have had it out less than 5 times. There had better not be much else that needs sorted out before I get some enjoyment out of it...

Seriously, I realize I bought it cheap, and knew there was a reason why my buddy parked it. I knew it could be a pinion bearing after doing some online investigations and I rolled the dice...I lost. Ok, I understand that. Even without the $2700 for the transaxle rebuild, I have put over $8K into the car just in repairs not counting the five grand purchase price. So that gets me in it for around $16K give or take...Still there is some I can rationalize for example, tires...anything I would have bought, new tires would be on the list. Timing belt, tune up parts, etc....also on the list.

But...as I said, it better start cooperating and let me drive it for a while before something else goes wonkers. I am sure I can get my investment back parting it out to 968 forums members - ....after all, someone might want 1 of 5 chestnut brown complete interiors.

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

what a pity you drove it like you stole it. i am not a big fan of driving slowly and carefully, so as not to be pulled over and arrested

as for the cost, i've said it before and i'll say it again. a 968 will cost you pretty close to $20k for a hardtop, and $25k for a cab. you can buy it cheap and spend it on repairs, or you can buy it already done. either way, the result is the same. if you buy it cheap and go the repair route, it just takes longer, but generally within 2 years, you're there.

#18 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's like a beautiful woman, someone somewhere is tired of her sh-t. Ink be patient, soon everything will be fixed. Part of your problem it seems, and no disrespect, is that you have to please two people. Go to the Excellence mag and its new Buyers Guide. It will give you advice and examples of what Porsches cost to purchase and maintain. These cars cost money. The common refrain is buy the best version you can find. Why, because overall it will cost less!

#19 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well everybody better stay tuned ' cause ya never know when a swwwweeeeeeetttt 968 cab may be for sale - lol

what a pity you drove it like you stole it. i am not a big fan of driving slowly and carefully, so as not to be pulled over and arrested

I was in my late 20's - what do you expect? Considering I have had the 968 up to 95 once so far, I guess I will just grin like a madman when mr state trooper pulls me over - lol

#20 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

I've often wondered the same thing..especially with Japanese cars of the same era which are so relaible they seem indestructible, but would a performance car like the NSX be any more reliable and less of a headache than the 968 is ?? .

My son bought an NSX four years ago for $24K (bought in the US when prices were WAY down). He did a set of belts for $1500, other than the regular oil changes. He just sold it for $36K because he needed some cash for a down payment on a property. I know that I will NOT be able to replicate that with the 968. Yet... I have enjoyed my car for 20k miles during the same period and he only put on about 6k in four years of ownership.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.