25 replies to this topic

#21 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

Jay I don't think your a wanker! DS as usual great info. Craig it gets more and more difficult to make people understand hard work generally helps you get ahead. Toss in education and it increases your chances. Ink I am a stepfather to five kids and providing 3 right now an education. It was the greatest gift my parents ever gave me besides their love. So passing these two things on to help these kids makes sense. Providing a good example is also a responsibility!

#22 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Ds - awesome chart - lol

My wife and I are always commenting that she has to maintain her professionalism and I can always say what ever I want, Usually she is thinking something is pure BS and I am out there calling people on it - lol

#23 judge

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • City:Port Fairy
  • State:Australia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Wow! I didn't see this thread going here, but it just shows how "in tune" we are on this board. The reason I loved the 968 (& the later 944's) was that I felt they didn't attract the same level of disdainful envy as the 911 and the oh so excessive 928.

For our US cousins, in Australian slang the term "wanker", whilst technically referring to a person given to Onanism, is used as a term of contemptuous abuse to describe a person who is pathetically self-absorbed or self-deluded, usually with an overly high opinion of their own worth. To describe someone as "a bit of a wanker" is a term of dismissive or disdainful abuse, rather than abuse of a hostile or aggressive kind. Peter Lorre's character in "Casablanca", Signore Ugarte, might have been described by Rick and Capitain Renault as a bit of a wanker; right up until he pulled out the gun that is!

You can now see why in Aus the term is used for Porsche owners; "What's the difference betweena Porsche and a porcupine? On a Porshe the pricks are on the inside".

This was one of the reasons that the Marque was floundering when the 968 was on the show room floors. A bad PR taste left over after the excesses of the 80's & 90's Greed is Good ethos, the 928 which was gross in so many way, the 911 which was 30 years old and basically unchanged, and a very complex and expensive-to-build joint venture with Volksvagen and Audi. Thankfully the company identified the problem and fought back with the boxter.

The thing with the 968 is that non-car people don't usually register it as a Porsche, but then quite rapidly change their attitude when they discover it is. Most have the decency to relent a bit when they discover that the car is old enough to vote, the nasty taste remains, despite it being one hell of a car. The only scintilla of regret I have over selling it is the inevitable lament - "I had one of those once" when the car is recognised on it's merits and prices and values rise, as they inevitably will.

BTW I don't give a s*** about what ignorant people think about me, but like most of us I value the good opinion of those I respect. That might be what I was trying to say when I spoke in my initial post about being one out with the car down here in the south west. Had I been in Melbourne things might have been different, but I still wouldn't have had anywhere safe to keep the car under cover.

So, on to the next toy, or toys. What'll it be? A BMW R69S from the '60's? A Schindelhauer Ludwig XVIII bicycle? A late model Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Sprint? Probably not another Borresen BB10.

Who knows, but I'll keep on wanking until something comes along :)

#24 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

I wish you luck on what ever you pursue. It is always hard to give up a toy. The wife is occasionally on me to get rid of the Harley since I really don't ride it much, and every time I say I should sell it to myself, I ride it and remember it took me 30 years to get one. Then I rationalize it by seeing the crappy dollars they bring now used and the fact that it eats very little sitting in the garage.

#25 judge

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • City:Port Fairy
  • State:Australia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

I forgot to post this link to a great Australian ballad which goes some way to explain the Aus attitude to....onanism. I suggest you listen to it first through cans, it might startle some people of a gentler disposition.

And then there's this.

#26 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

The bungie jump routine was pretty funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.