• City:Port Fairy
  • State:Australia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

That's it. I've sold my beautiful red Cabrio. to a multiple Porsche owner who is driving the car the 2500 kilometres home.

The experience of classic car ownership has been very enjoyable but has been somewhat diminished by being one out, so isolated down here in the boonies where anyone with this sort of car is immediately labelled a rich wanker! It's taken some time to win my friends over, but even now there is a tinge of unease about it.

That's where this forum has been so valuable, not just from the point of information and contacts, but for providing some long distance camaraderie.

I'll still keep an eye on you, but I don't see another 968 in my future from where I'n standing now. I'm just happy that the car seems to be going to a good home, and I didn't get hit too bad in the hip pocket nerve.

Thank you, one and all, and goodnight.

#2 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • City:No longer a Member
  • State:No Longer a Member
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Bugger, if the buyer ever wants to sell the car - you know where to look.

Once bitten - you never know. All the best for whatever life brings.

#3 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Sorry to hear.
Never worry about what others think about you, only what you think of yourself matters.

Good luck!

#4 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I've been noticing the same thoughts that people have been saying about me also. We don't use the term wanker of course, it can have different connotations over here. Perhaps you are a wanker. And hay that's ok too! Funny, one has a 20 year old car with however many miles and your rich. Some of us have purchased these babies for under 10k. Bet the person calling you a rich wanker spent more on his car! There are different areas on this site that have been developed that aren't car oriented and can often be quite interesting. The discussions are spirited yet civil. Give this a thought before you say goodbye wanker! Sorry I couldn't resist! Lol

#5 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

This "Wanker" bought his car for $5000.00 USD...tell that to your neighbors. lol

#6 mbardeen

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • City:Talca
  • State:Chile
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

I understand what it's like being stuck somewhere where appearances count more than actual value. One of my co-workers commented that I had a nicer car than the boss, who has a 2012 Chevy Traverse. I quipped back that I could guarantee that my boss paid double for his what I paid for mine.

Granted, I've now probably spent the difference bringing back from the brink...

It was nice to meet you and I wish you luck with your future car endeavors!

#7 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

The reason I like the 968 so much is that it Is NOT the 1980's "wanker", "tosser", "owner operator", "pajero", etc car. It is not a 911, even though it is a Porsche. Unfortunately the tags above seem to apply to all Porsches, but maybe to a lesser extent very early 911's (per-74) and 356's as these are old enough to be a labour of love.

It is just brand snobbery, or reverse snobbery. We don't call people who go on an overseas holiday every second year "jet setters" any more.

Seems old habits die hard.

Judge - perhaps spending $100k on a Toyota Landcruiser 78 series doesn't make you a snob? Just silly?

Each to their own. I think everyone at some point in their life should have a toy, or so something they wanted when they were a kid. Even if it is only to remember when we were kids and to own what we couldn't have then. Like most Grey Nomads over here, spending around $200k on a 4x4 and caravan is not snobbery in its own right. Lots of little cliques in every group. Pity people couldn't just be happy for you and be happy that you had found something that you like and enjoy.

I would have at one point (if I had the money) bought a Ducati 916 and simply put it in the lounge room. I think that that bike was more of a work of art than most art I have seen. I would have marvelled at it every day, and most likely still been in love with it. As per above, each to their own, viva la difference!

I think we all become a bit more thicked skinned and comfortable in our own skin as we get older. As I tell my wife, dream the dream, live the dream, as life is too short.

Edited by craigawoodman, 03 June 2013 - 02:41 AM.

#8 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

I know there's "back chatter" at work about my and my employee's "Porshes". I'm reminded that great minds discuss ideas, moderate minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people.

#9 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

My grand daughter tells me I'm very wealthy and just the other nite my neighbors 5 year old came over to chat and told me his Dad told him I had a lot of money! This young man is consulting with me on the breezeway addition. If not for this little guy I would have never figured out how to design the garage. Point is nice or exotic cars seem to make people jump to impressions that are not always accurate. Craig I agree. Too many people wait to do or have something and then circumstances change and those dreams or desires aren't able to materialize.
Being rich means clipping coupons and never touching the principal.

#10 mbardeen

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • City:Talca
  • State:Chile
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

Well, to be fair, having the ability to afford a "non-practical" car, or even a second car rates as rich to many people. The average middle class income in Chile is around $800 a month for a family of four. Affording a 968, regardless of purchase price, is just outside the realm of possibility for most.

That said, I don't think I'm rich. Comfortable, yes. Rich? No. I think, however, many people perceive themselves as "average", regardless of their actual soci-economic class, so maybe I'm falling into the same trap.

#11 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

Case in point: oldest daughter is getting married this weekend. Her parents have refused to pay for anything so far, because according to them "we're loaded".

#12 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Their right. Jet setting to California to drive fancy exotic cars, sip expensive wine and drive all over the coast! Come on. Car and garage it all adds up! Mbardeen has it right. Some of us get caught up in the hey" I am just an ordinary joe". This of course might be the pot calling the kettle black!! lol

#13 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

OT, but what the heck isn't here anymore...lol...

We were planning a party so everyone could visit with some friends that moved out of town. Melva starts tells someone about getting prepared...OK the landscaper will need to finish the flowerbeds and mulching, the lawn service will need to be scheduled to mow, housekeeper can work an extra couple of hours to make sure everything is spic 'n' span, we need to call the caterer, and we should probably get some help to serve and clean up. I blinked a few times and asked "When did we become those people?"...

Jay

Edited by 94SilverCab, 03 June 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#14 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

I don't have a cleaner, gardener, caterer, etc. OK, I do earn more than the average, but with kids going to a private school and the extra taxes, I think it evens it up a fair bit. My wife does not work, so no double income.

So average, in a middle class sort of way - you bet. Average in a blue collar way, no, but that is where I came from and where I started life. Wealthy, in that work is optional and I only do it to put more money I the bank - no, I owe, I owe, so it is off to work I go. So do I think I am average, yes, if above the median point.

I have been in too many mining towns where everyone gets their nose out if joint because you are "management". As my wife once said to a person that was complaining "you too can have what we have". Really she asked, how?

Well your husband would have to study part time for seven years to get a degree, then do four more years part time to get a Masters, then study again to obtain the required Statutory Qualifications, work in some pretty crappy locations to gain experience, possibly have to move overseas for a while and accept a senior role and be responsible as a manager. Her response was "that is too hard".

Lots of people want what they are not willing to work for and try to put down those that have worked bloody hard for it. Why do we not like the 1980's Porsche image, because it was bankers and stockbrokers that had them. They had not (a generalization I know) worked hard for it. It was all paper money which evaporated and left us all with a sour taste in our mouths.

So if you have worked for it - well done, enjoy it. If it is a dream that you have attained, bloody well done. If it is richly deserved, so much the better. Even if you won lotto and it was your dream, congratulations. Why bring people down for enjoying themselves?

I don't understand why we (as a collective people) cannot simply be happy for someone else gaining pleasure from something that they like. It would be like telling a surfer that he cannot surf because everyone cannot. Do we ridicule people for having a boat, jet ski, etc? What is so different about a car?

#15 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

But craig, it's just so much easier to *vote*. :popcorn:

#16 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Craig you seem like a nice guy but that statement about being happy for someone else is just absolute pap. We are just always just steps away from barbarians at the gates. And feeding them cake won't work. Why do you think 50 percent of people here don't pay taxes and are on some form of assistance? The more you give to those who won't earn the more they want and the more they resent what you have worked hard for. They can't understand their disconnect between hard work and accomplishment. Why should they? Not working has provided them a life with little or no work required. Why change. Just clamor about the unfairness of those that have and how they don't pay enough in taxes. While of course they believe it to be unfair that they don't receive greater assistance. Here until you earn a certain dollar amount, it makes no sense to work, struggle and pay taxes. One of my employees recently told me the people in his neighborhood are all on assistance and sit on their porches smoking doobs and drinking 40's. meanwhile he is working long and hard to put food on his table to feed his family. Sort of hard to explain to him that he is doing the right thing!

#17 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

Craig,

+1

You should actually know that my surprise was real. We have worked like mad for many, many years, saved, lived well below our means, childless by choice, stable relationships, coupon clipping, small house, no debt...and suddenly as we reach retirement age, we are still working hard, and don't have the energy to take care of everything else, so we find ourselves needing help. But it has crept up on us...

My 968 story has been recounted many times. All I ever wanted was a 911 from the time I was 6-7 years old. When I finally had a windfall (on a $4 stock that went to $152) I cashed out and bought the only really over the top luxury item I ever had, and I couldn't find the 911 I wanted. So, I was reading magazines and the 968 was introduced as the best bang for the buck..Ta da...

I love my 968, don't care what anyone else thinks that I'm a DB or a rich wanker, that's their problem...

Jay

#18 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Craig you seem like a nice guy but that statement about being happy for someone else is just absolute pap. We are just always just steps away from barbarians at the gates. And feeding them cake won't work. Why do you think 50 percent of people here don't pay taxes and are on some form of assistance? The more you give to those who won't earn the more they want and the more they resent what you have worked hard for. They can't understand their disconnect between hard work and accomplishment. Why should they? Not working has provided them a life with little or no work required. Why change. Just clamor about the unfairness of those that have and how they don't pay enough in taxes. While of course they believe it to be unfair that they don't receive greater assistance. Here until you earn a certain dollar amount, it makes no sense to work, struggle and pay taxes. One of my employees recently told me the people in his neighborhood are all on assistance and sit on their porches smoking doobs and drinking 40's. meanwhile he is working long and hard to put food on his table to feed his family. Sort of hard to explain to him that he is doing the right thing!

Amen - People think we are rich too - Yes, the wife has a good job and I am retired, but I do a lot of volunteer duty for the community and spend a lot on charity. I also do all the work around the house. Cars, lawn, dishes, cooking, cleaning, all of it. It works for us, so we are happy, happy, happy. We don't really care what other people think. I helped raise 3 great step kids, who are for all real purposes my kids.Sent them to good schools, paid for a wedding - bought the father in law a classic car for his 65th birthday. I don't apologize for anything. And yes laziness rankles me...

Everyone has to be happy where they are. Yea, I have too much stuff sometimes, but I went through some times where I had nothing and then lost what little I had. I have started with nothing several times over. I had cancer and God flipped a coin on whether I would live or die and I am glad it came up the right side, so we enjoy what we have and do our best to keep down the debt and plan for the future. That being said, we had a chance to afford the 968 so we pulled the trigger. I will be so ready to enjoy it when I get it on the road finally, I won't be able to stand myself. Lol.

#19 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Never worry about what others think about you, only what you think of yourself matters.

words by which to live i always have. besides, as some of us get older, here's a chart to illustrate that philosophyAttached File  age vs care chart.jpg   15.35KB   0 downloads

#20 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Rap,

Totally agree with you statement. Those that whinge are normally those that won't get off their arse and have a go. I agree on the tax issue as well, when did it become the Governments obligation to feed, clothe, shelter, entertain, provide medical treatment, immunizations, etc, etc for everyone?

Every time there is a problem, rather than fix it ourselves, people look to the government. The government loves it, as it makes more and more dependent upon it, and thereby directly influencable by it.

Those that work hard, normally achieve at least a modicum if success.

Now it seems society judges you on what you possess, not who you are, what you do or have achieved, etc. perhaps this is the end of Western society.

I recently read an article that Caligula wanted to use his horse as satire against the Romans of the Court who wanted everything but did nothing. Why shouldn't his horse be a Senator, it contributed the same amount. This appears to be what Government is going to. A bit 1984, but thirty years late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.