• City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:34 AM

As a direct result of a rash of recent poorly done belt jobs, it seemed like a good time to review the situation and see what we could do about it. Something as simple as a belt job should not result in owners stressing over vibrations and slack belts and silly problems like that. The workshop manual, while likely fine for most mechanics who have been in these cars before, is not clear enough to allow for the unseasoned mechanic, let alone the shade-tree guy. The DIYs out there aren't much better. They lack a number of details and tips that would keep people out of trouble.

The belts on the white car are now 3 years old, and due for changing, even though they only have 6k miles on them. I am just too tired and busy to deal with it, and there is not a shop around here that I trust to do the job right. What to do?

After some thought and consultation, and a couple of people agreeing to get together, we have a solution.

I am flying Max from RS Barn out here. We will do the belts on the white car. We will be extensively photographing the entire process. Each step will be carefully documented. Each tool used will be noted. We will even be videotaping the process, just to make sure we don't miss anything. Every detail will end up in what will clearly become the Ultimate Belt DIY.

The end product will be a PDF file that will likely be many pages. We thought about making a DVD, but figured that would be too complicated and expensive. The editing alone would be huge. Then there was the problem of convenience of use. (Besides me, who has a DVD player in their garage?)

This DIY will be right here on the site in the DIY section for download to members.

This will all be happening on the same day as the Bi-Coastal Detail Day, Sat 4-3, in another bay of the Garage Mahal. Those that want to watch are welcome to come by. It is going to be a long process though, so plan accordingly. Also, the more people that are there, the longer each step will take as we have to be cognizant of camera positions, so I have no way of predicting how it will go. But everyone is welcome.

#2 StephenHallman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

Awesome!!!! I've never changed my belts myself but I would love to learn. I'm not a very hands on type of guy unless I've at least seen someone else do it. I'm very excited for this. It seems like this will be a very full and informative day.

#3 968Syncro

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • City:San Pasqual Valley
  • State:CA
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

Very cool! TIA. My 968 is due, and with the recent discussions in the past months or so I have been considering taking a shot at the belts myself.

I once changed a flat tire, how much harder could this work be? :lol:

#4 link517

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • City:Wallingford
  • State:Connecticut
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

I hope you are making sure this superstar treatment isn't going to max's head. I don't want another Lindsay Lohan on our hands.

#5 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Too late. He's already in jail for stealing a Porsche 9201 tensioning tool; he said he was going to return he just needed to see it better in the sun light :lol:

#6 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

There was a little bag of white powder in my 968 the last time I picked it up at RS Barn.....yeah officer, it was my superstar mechanic's, that's it....:lol:

Last time I check, Max was immune to anything more than a bit of red wine....

Jay

#7 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,544 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

This is timely, as I'm going to be doing mine soon as well (with the engine out of the car!). The first post has me a little worried, though, as I don't remember there being a whole lot of complications, or steps in the process that had me thinking, "Hmm, I'll really screw thing up if I don't get this step just right..." Seemed like a pretty straightforward matter of "lock it down, take the old belts off, and put the new ones on (and try not to let the balance shafts move while the belts are off)." I'm curious as to whether I just got lucky that my engine hasn't exploded in the three years since I did it last.

#8 link517

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • City:Wallingford
  • State:Connecticut
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, there really aren't enough 968s left to start driving them on the wrong side of the highway.

#9 968TDG

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • City:Oceanside
  • State:Ca

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

The process certainly isn't rocket science, but I found my patchwork knowledge from the sections of the manual I had, posts on the forum, and calls with Flash still left me with a couple of questions. I like to be 100% sure I'm not messing something up, especially something like this. Good on you Flash, because I will have forgotten most of it by the time I do the job again.

I can't stay mad at Lindsay Lohan, she is simply too hot.

-Phil

#10 Joel

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • City:Fairfax Station, School in Chester
  • State:Va, School in PA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

thanks for doing this! im currently in the middle of doing my belts... as simple as it seems im scared to death. having a DIY on how to do this will be great. itll be such a relief to have something to refer to while doing the job.

#11 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

that is exactly the reasoning - i figure shops can use this too, and that way, even if somebody isn't going to do it themselves, at least this will help ensure that the shop does it right

#12 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

" I don't want another Lindsay Lohan on our hands "
I would not have any problem with her on my hands...or with my hands on her.. In that sense I completely agree with
968 TDG's opinion : as stunning and as hot as they get, so no matter how much of a bad boy you turn Max into, I'm afraid methodical timing belt change instructions are going to be pretty much it ... whereas Lindsay can probably take your belt off in record time :P

Edited by ds968, 24 February 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#13 Grandpa#3

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • City:Hawkinsville
  • State:Georgia

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

:)You could put the DIY video on You Tube as others have done over on the 951's Forums. Van has filmed a group of things and very easy to follow. I hate to say it, but "Even a Cave Man Could Do It" after watching one of his DIY. Look up YouTube Porsche 951 water pump change.

Cheers,
Larry

#14 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

I'm confused. A detail day at Bob's featuring Lindsey Lohan changing belts while being videotaped? Maybe my car is very dirty and my belts are very cracked. You bring the popcorn I'll bring the butter...

#15 marazas

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • City:Stockholm
  • State:Sweden
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:06 AM

Great! I will be waiting for this DIY. I have done belt change on 944S and the time will come for 968 some day too.

#16 AJG

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • City:ABERDEEN
  • State:SCOTLAND
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • What model is your 968?:Sport (UK)

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

Flash! Aha! Saviour of our 968's! Flash! Aha! This is going to be great! Well it will be for those (and there are many) who are willing to undertake belt changes. Look forward with interest to this project. I'm choking up, it's all to much man!

Andy

#17 JH6

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • City:Litomerice
  • State:Czech Republic

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

Great news especially considering the quality of Flash's work. It's going to be great.

One question: I'm going to do a belt change before the start of this season and the Special Tool 9201 is not available in my country unless I want to order one new from Porsche. So would you use some alternative approach to belt tensioning? Or would you use the alternative tools like Cricket or Arnworx?

BTW even our local Porsche dealership doesn't have one. They said that they would order one if I'm willing to pay their 150USD/hour rate. When I was there, they sow 968 for a first time in their live so I guess their work quality would be same as mine. I will do it for a first time too :rolleyes:

#18 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

one of the things i want to do is clearly illustrate the tensioning process, and anticipating exactly your situation

#19 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

Looking forward to this DIY.
My timing belt has only about 15K miles on it, but was done 5 years ago, so needless to say... IT'S TIME! <_<
After reading through this thread, I watched a DIY video on Youtube yesterday for a "944 water pump and belt change". It was very interesting...

#20 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

@JH6 - I've been meaning to order the Arnworx kit - the big one with everything, as it isn't that expensive - and this DIY will probably be the push over the edge I need to finally get off my butt and do it. The Cricket tool is not a good choice as 1) it is plastic and 2) I understand it isn't very accurate, although I don't have first hand knowledge.

- Darryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.