• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

I hope that this post finds you all happy and healthy and blissfully enjoying the beginning of 2011.

As the New Year is a time to project forward, I felt it was time to let you all in some plans for the coming year.

On the weekend of May 20-22, 2011, I will be hosting “Takin’ it to the Street” 968’s in Newtown, PA. This will once again be a 3 day event as we had in Newtown in 2006 (and which we modeled Hershey after last year). There will definitely be a reception Friday night, a dinner on Saturday night, and a fun run and picnic on Sunday Morning /Afternoon. I am sure that there will be other things that I have not even considered. I intend to charge a modest fee that hopefully will include T-Shirt, Sticker and gift. I will encourage 968Forums and our sponsors to help defray costs. I have a few new ideas that are sure to delight.

In the event that anyone decides to take up the mantle and host an event at Hershey next year, please know that I will attend and support the events, though on a much smaller scale than previous years.

I hope that you will all plan to join me in Newtown in May and I look forward to your valuable thoughts and contributions to make “Takin’ it to the Street” a huge success.

Regards,

Jay

This event is not hosted or sponsored by PCA.

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

Sounds like a ton of fun.

The format of the events that surrounded last year's Hershey event were by far the best concept yet. The fun run, even though it was cancelled, is center to such an event. Driving these cars is what it is all about after all.

As much fun as I've had every year I've gone back for the event, the swap meet has been the least attractive part of it, and frankly wish I could have skipped that part. Standing around a swap meet that takes all of an hour to go thorough, and a concours of 2 968s is just silly. As much fun as it is to swap stories and enjoy Kathy's munchies, it makes for a long rather dull day. The swap meet has never had much for the 968 enthusiast, and the concours is as fraught with politics as any of the PCA ones. I much prefer a proper multi-marque concours, where it isn't about the q-tip as it is the prep of the car. The problems last year and constant butting in from PCA in something that was none of their business was frustrating enough as a bystander. I am certain that it was worse for those involved, and has resulted in some of our members participating a lot less here. It just left a bad taste in everybody's mouth, and until the current regime retires from that chapter, or gets their stick out of their butt, I fear that event is doomed to be as dull as it always has been. Then of course there is the rain that always seems to spoil it.

I love the idea of the multi-day event, and the opportunity to really enjoy the time. Getting clear of all the nonsense that surrounds the Hershey event will certainly make this event more about the 968 and less about the b.s.

Having it in May, and in Newtown, certainly sets the stage for a scenic weekend filled with amazing sights, with much better weather, perfect for a nice drive in the country. The other event in 2006 was a ton of fun. I can't wait to see what Jay and his crew have cooked up for this year.

It is on my calendar.

#3 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • City:New York City
  • State:New York
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

I think i would like to attend......however...i would be 968less.

#4 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

I think i would like to attend......however...i would be 968less.

As long as you don't bring a 944 Turbo...

:drama:

#5 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

:lol:...and stay outta the pics...

#6 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

We'll be there...you know how/where to find me if you want/need some help! I'll bring some detailing goodies with me as well.

- Darryl

#7 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

roflmao - it was entirely too funny to see some people get wound up over that - it was as bad as the boxster incident - some people just need to figure out that those buttons on the polo shirts are for decoration, and not to be buttoned, because it cuts off the flow of blood to the brain and makes you silly

i'm bringing a yugo and sticking it right in the middle - of course it will be supercharged, with a bunch of aero stuff and a full on suspension..............................

#8 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Having not been to one of these events before this sounds like a lot of fun. However, what may I ask is this under current of discontent or annoyance from a previous event all about?

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

you can read about it in the threads about that event - the tale is long - poke around int eh events section and you'll find it

i don't want to sidetrack this thread any more than i have with stuff about that one, and probably shouldn't have started about that - i was really just trying to point out that we won't be bothered with the nonsense that has encompassed that event, and it will have all of the cool things that were learned from the mistakes of previous events

#10 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Yes, Flash...that was last year...we could have had a warmer reception from the local PCA chapter...take a deep breath and let go...

Hershey was a fine location, but a little too far to organize by remote after Don retired from hosting the Celebration...

Planning these events takes a lot of work, and its much easier to make it happen locally.

None of last years committee lived in the Hershey area, and we all worked very hard to make arrangements and then run up to "practice" the fun run and meet and greet the hotel and restaurant management.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT THE PAST

"Takin' it to the Street"...think Doobie Bros., cruisin'....hangin' out...staring at the last glint of sunlight in the mirrored reflection of a shiny 968.

This will be a fun, layed back weekend about the cars and even more about the people who drive them.

Bucks County is absolutely beautiful in the Spring and we look forward to welcoming all of you.

If anyone wants to volunteer, I'd be grateful for some help.

Regards,

Jay

Edited by 94SilverCab, 04 January 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#11 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

lol - no worries - i'm already over it and very happy that it will not be repeated

things are now very much as they should be - good on ya

can't wait

#12 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

This event is not hosted or sponsored by PCA.

But I'll advertise it on the PCA 968 register. We should all attend!!! :)

#13 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the support. Everyone is welcome !

I just wanted to make it clear that this event is not tied to PCA, there has been some confusion in the past.

Regards,

Jay

#14 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • City:Hershey
  • State:PA

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Jay,

I thoroughly enjoyed attending your, and Pete's, 968 Event in Newtown last time and will try to make it.

Don

#15 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

please keep me posted on plans if we can make it we will attend. We have only gone to Hershey events but always loved it.

#16 cosimo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • City:reston
  • State:va
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (2011)
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:40 AM

Probably will not be attending this one as wife and I will be traveling to Italy and Germany. Going to Stuttgart to see the new museum and factory. Hate to miss this as it will be a first. I will be at Hershey hopefully with the Turbo kit and big brakes in place.

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:57 AM

what??? say it isn't so - you're a fixture at these things - wow - you will be missed for sure

#18 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Cosimo, you will be sorely missed. Scrap your vacation, Germany and Italy will always be there :rolleyes:

#19 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

lol - i'm going to italy later this year, and i have to stop in germany - i'll take pictures for you - yeah that's it - then you can go to the event

#20 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

Jay, if this is a bit of a 3 day event, any suggestions on room reservation? Or do you put everyone up? Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.