• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • City:Mount Pleasant
  • State:South Carolina
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

One of our members has sent three "I'll take it - tell me how to proceed / close this deal" emails in response to this ad and still no reply. I believe it's BS and will be REAL surprised if someone proves me wrong. Think about it - it's just north of salvage value. Asking price goes from 20K to under 7K overnight??? THAT'S what I call a price reduction.

As a dealer I base every car ad I see on the following:

If the owner can drive the car to ANY dealer in their town and instantly get paid their asking price or more, why is it being offered to the nation??? Answer - 99 44/100s percent of the time it's either BS or a scam.

#22 chudson

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Smshirks comment was not posted when I added my first comment. Textbook response for a scammer. If anyone sends this person money, you'll loose it. Remember, "If it sounds too good to be true......."

I once had a scammer try and sell me my own car. He copied my company ad and sent me an personal email asking me if I wanted a bottom dollar steal. The car was sitting in my own lot!!

#23 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD
  • What year is your 968?:1994

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

I contacted the seller about seeing the car. Below is the response:

Hi, The car is in perfect running condition, interior is clean and
maintained without any scratches or stains. Engine is in top condition
and transmission shifts as is should. Very well maintained. Never been
in an accident.

I am a stewardess and I don't have very much time for communications. I
have tones of emails so if you are interested please reply asap so we
can organize the deal.

I want to move to Japan and this is the main reason for selling the car.
My name is Vanessa Garner so when you reply please give me your details
as well so I can send you the car for inspection(on my expense).

Please contact me on the email from the attach (I've sent you a picture).

Thanks

Lets take a look at 3 principal rules of "scam 101"

A. They rarely answer questions directly. Ask the guy what color is the car and you'll get that same response.

B. While posing to be an American, they are never actually in the US. Always a student away at school or on a business trip.

C. They are always willing to send you the item at their expense. C'mon now this is a freakin car.

#24 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

were it not for the fact that we know the car, i would immediately jump to the same conclusion

easy way to deal with this - pick up the phone and stop emailing

#25 chudson

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

If I can find a phone number I will. Am I missing it?

#26 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • City:Charlotte
  • State:North Carolina
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

Unfortunately no phone number in the 'low-price' add, only an email address and a comment on that being the best way to communicate. But for those local who are interested.....If you can see it, touch it, and the owner can produce a title, it 'could' be a deal/steal. But I agree, no way I'd send money without first putting my hands on the car and title.

When I bought my current 968 from Florida, the buyer had recently moved back to the UK. He didn't clarify it in the ad, but he did say it in our email correspondence. He had just moved and wan't going to be back in the states regularly enough to keep the car. And yes, that really made me think it was a scam. BUT... It was a real car, showed as advertised, and he had it in a sealed storage facility. I worked through his buddy (who happened to also be his real estate agent) to see, inspect, and drive the car. I really though it was a scam, but I took the risk and it was the one time in my life that it paid off. I did not however send any money in advance, I just flew down there (happened to be in going that way for a business trip) and scheduled the visit and inspection. I had the check in my pocket, and the owners buddy turned out to be a great guy who drove me around to get the title transferred and temporary tags, and then gave me a tour of the town, and local highlights. Great guy and unexpectedly pleasant car buying experience.

Moral of the story is....There are scams, but there are some hidden jewels of deals. It never hurts to check them out as long as you have the time and are careful.

#27 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • City:Charlotte
  • State:North Carolina

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:27 AM

I received an email back from the on-line listing service this morning. Their note indicated that the listing is a confirmed fraud. Se la vi!

#28 ebarone968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • City:boonton
  • State:new jersey

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:39 AM

Yup a scam, car is packed ready to ship, I will send it to you at my cost, i'm in Japan looking for an apartment, send money through ebay blah, blah, blah, and I was born yesterday. So sick of these #!#*##!!!

#29 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:26 AM

I've seen so many of them I could write a book. You get the same lines when you're selling your car as well.

#30 anthonymaher

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • City:washington
  • State:DC

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

I believe the car with the pink or purple leather interior is up for auction on the 'bay. Lambo doors and all.

#31 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

not surprised - that car is constantly coming up for sale - obviously there is something about it that is unsatisfying or unpleasant, since nobody wants to keep it - i have to check, but i think that car has changed hands more than any other 968 i know of

#32 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

Wasn't Biotechie looking for a car in a unique color? :D Oh wait, that was an M3...

#33 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

I believe the car with the pink or purple leather interior is up for auction on the 'bay. Lambo doors and all.

The exterior color is called Amethyst. The interior and top color are called Magenta. I've seen the car in person when it was being showed by the builder here on the east coast a few years ago. It is unique and very interesting but just like any custom car, when you go to sell it you have to find someone else that appreciates all your custom work. Don't even hope to get your money back though. BTW, the car is 1 of 4 produced in that color combo.

Jeff

#34 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

The response to smshirk is a scam. I have received this same response to ads I have inquired about they may vary some but it is the same contents. I am still looking for a pink 968 or any unique color :clap: if any one sees one

#35 968TDG

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • City:Oceanside
  • State:Ca

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

I was looking for a Land Rover Discovery II on Craigslist (want to do a diesel engine swap) and one of the low ball adds turned out to be a scam when they emailed back.  I responded with:

"Thanks for the reply.  If you want your scam to work, I'd suggest upping the price a bit and lowering the specs on the car.  The deal is much too good to be believable.  You have way too many details in the email as well.  Also the "Military" story is very over used, an immediate sign of a scam."

I'm not sure why I did this, I normally send some pissed off email or don't even bother, but the funniest thing is that they emailed me back with "Thank you"

Phil

#36 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:49 AM

the military story is only genuine if they are on duty overseas to protect a member of the Nigerian royal family whose car they are trying to facilitate selling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.