• Rookie
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • City:American Fork
  • State:UT
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:19 PM

So I am new to these forums but not new to Porsche. I am wanting to buy my first 968, and I am already sure that I want it to be boosted in some way or another. I have narrowed it down to centrifugal supercharging or a simple turbo set up. My main worry is that I was planning on getting a higher mileage, lower cost 968 to start with. After reading the forums for like four hours today I worry that I will have other age related problems, and be "polishing a turd". I have two options, and would like some input on what you would do.

1) But a cosmetically nice higher mileage 968 for btw 8-9k and then do the mods for around 5000 extra.

2) Put the boosting on hold and just look for a 40-60k mile one for 15000. I would have to wait a year or to in order to turbo or sc it, but I would be buying piece of mind. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, and I'm glad I found this resource with all the experienced people on here! This place is awesome!

#2 Monstrous4Banger

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • City:Ukiah
  • State:CA
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

A higher mileage car is not an issue if the powertrain is rebuilt, as part of the turbocharging. If that is my intention, I tend to care more about cosmetics. Cosmetic parts are harder to find than mechanical. It also depends how it was maintained. Not to mention many, many other things. If you plan to turbo, might as well rebuild IMO. There is a lot to it, and you wont be able to do it for 5k. Unless you got most of what you need sitting on the shelf already. Even then... Turbo if you dont mind rebuilding. Internals have to be changed to run higher boost. If you want to run stock internals, stay low cost, and dont mind lower boost tolerances, you want a SC. Just my .02 cents.

#3 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

Depends on where you want to be when you are finished with the car. I've recently looked at some 9K to 10K cars and estimated that there was easily 8K to 9K to put in to get those up to par car. If you are a good mechanic you can do a lot more for a lot less $ of course. This site and other places as a reference make working on this car a lot more straight forward. I don't think you can find anything decent for less than $18K right now.

#4 Johannvb

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • City:Doorn
  • State:Netherlands
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:27 AM

Like Rxter says, these cars can consume massive amounts of money to get them running right.

So if it was me I would buy a mechanically sound car with a clean interior and go from there. you can always repaint the car, but many of the interior trim is becomming NLA. Especially if you have anything other than black.

Edited by Johannvb, 20 May 2010 - 04:27 AM.

#5 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What year is your 968?:1994

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:16 AM

I would vote for #1, but you should know that it is a genarally accepted rule of thumb that a fully sorted 968 will cost $20k (i.e., a $12k car will need $8k worth of work). Plan on that being your baseline for a N/A car and THEN add mods from there.

Good luck with your search, plenty of help available here,

Jay

Edited by 94SilverCab, 20 May 2010 - 05:16 AM.

#6 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:01 AM

I think the prices quoted to bring a car upto snuff can be at least have that if you can do it yourself.
Keep in mind I you want to go the turbo route, the proper pistons are least $1200, and that's befor you do anything else.

I'd go with a higher mileage cosmetically nice car, do a head job, and pick up the D1R supercharger.
This is what my plans are.

#7 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

A, you can polish a turd. http://dsc.discovery...ing-a-turd.html

b. Considering all that the SC is going to do for that 68 start with a good example. There was a tremendous amount of attention to detail on this kit to make it look as good as it performs. I appreciate that. So I would recommend bringing the whole pkg together inside out with a nice looking 968. I would go around 85K or so though to save some cash.

#8 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

"This is what my plans are"

Dude - are you back in??? You won't have to sit at the lepers table in Hershey anymore smile.gifsmile.gif

#9 jorandkriscook

968 Forums Rookie

• Rookie
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. After thinking about this and reading a lot more on the forums, I think I am going to hold off till I have some more cash and do a turbo build. Even If it costs more, I think I prefer that to the sc. I need this car to run with my best friends 1994 turbo 3.6, and to do that I need at least 340 RWHP. I think some of the estimates on here are a little high for what I decent 68 would cost. I know there was a 20,000 mile coupe six speed on auto trader with an asking price of $22k. It took over a year to sell. I think a nice 50,000 mile car should not bring more than $15k. Either way, I am going to wait so I can spend my money all at once and my wife can kill me. A nice 968 with a turbo making 400 horse would just be insane. Then I could join my buddy in his 911 in the viper massacre! We have a group of about ten cars that head out driving and the only ones that can touch the turbo 3.6 are the supercharged vipers. Even then they are just spinning their wheels while the 3.6 pulls away. Would be so fun to join in that...with a 68!

Again thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to end up spending way to much time on this forum...

#10 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

400hp out of a 4 cyl 968.

$$ Ka-ching $$

I admire your ambition. Keep us posted.

#11 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

"Again thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to end up spending way to much time on this forum..."

At first its just time, then you set up the paypal account, then the secret visa account, then end up with a car you don't need and a bunch of parts on the shelves in your garage just in case, then your wife kills you smile.gif

#12 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

As long as you are fully committed to the perpetual attention and maintenance cost that kind of turbo will require ( beyond the initial investment which might ultimately seem like peanuts ), more power to you ! ( no pun intended rolleyes.gif )
I've contemplated doing that the moment one of our 968 colleagues here in NorCal told us how often he grins when he sees the expression on the faces of drivers in Ferraris or Vettes or what-not super car, when he pulls away from them as if they were lamp posts with his Powerhaus equipped 968 turbo, but then he went on to say what he spends every year just to keep it running a couple of times a month, and the time involved.. and just as fast as the appeal of having 450+ HP & torque in a 968 came , it quickly went away.. dry.gif

#13 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

and i don't think that car has been run in over 3 years now - sure was pretty though

#14 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

All I ever do is "standard maintenance"...right guys (wink)

Jay

#15 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

Ah, being a leaper really sucks....
:-(

#16 Monstrous4Banger

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

My 3.0 8v turbo hasnt needed anything but standard maintenance in 1.5 years. Changed the air filter so far........it was on before the build. Turbocharging Our engines is a slippery slope. Do your homework. Pay a little extra to the guys who really know what theyre doin. Dont cheap out on any outsourced labor. If you want reliability, IMO....ditch the 16v. Modify a 951 head. Forget sourcing a OEM 2.7 head. Modding a 951 head is cheaper. the 2.7 heads, are just too rare. Use all the 951 top end, exhaust, intake, etc, etc, etc. Like Porsche did on the 968 TS. A turbo can turn these machines into absolute beasts. 400 RWHP is pretty easily attainable. Even with the 8 valve. The 8 also give much better TQ.

#17 jorandkriscook

968 Forums Rookie

• Rookie
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Would you guys recommend the Powerhaus conversion? It is REALLY pricey, but I have talked to the guy over there a couple of times and he seems to know his stuff. I think his name was Dave. Real nice guy, told me that he could get 350 RWHP without dropping compression or changing the head, running pretty low boost. I would have considered it more fully but had never met anyone who had done that conversion. Dave assured me that reliability would not be an issue, but then again he would wouldnt he smile.gif Another five grand in his pocket right. Not to say I dont trust him.... I'm just sayin. What do you guys know about that conversion? Horror stories?

#18 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

Google a man named Chris White, one of the best.

#19 Monstrous4Banger

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

Chris White is good. Hes on the Eastcoast tho. I think Garrity is in Utah. How far you willing to travel? Powerhaus isnt far from my house. PM me if your interested in what they do. I can save you some loot. My engine is half powerhaus. So to speak. This is what I mean by do your homework. If your trying to save cash like me, there are some ways to save some money. Sure you could call any tuner in the country, and most of them could build your engine. Youll pay for the turnkey luxury tho. Theyll mark up parts usually, and what not. There are many builders out there, and many different choices, and directions to go in terms of how, and why you build. I say go to the tuners sources. Save a few grand. Youd be surprised how many tuners outsource the building. Shop around for crucial parts like, cylinder head, pistons/rods, intake, exhaust, etc. Look for someone parting out a 951. Youll save a ton just by sourcing your own parts(rebuildable ones, that will be rebuilt any way), and having the builder put them together. You could just drive in and say heres my check book...let me know when its done. Or you could do your homework, source parts, and have the builder build to your specs. Let them rebuild your cores, and let them source the small stuff. It should still be their warranty if you have them rebuild your core, to build your engine they are responsible for. Only difference is you saved bug on used parts. Powerhaus builds cars Daves way. Always has AFAIK. There are many advancements in 951/68 modding these days. I didnt care for Powerhaus's engine management, chips, boost control, turbo choice, etc. I think hes using the same software/hardware, for over 15 years. As others here in AZ have told me...powerhaus hasnt adopted the new technology over the years. Not that he doesnt have a proven formula tho. Again, PM me if AZ isnt too far. If you want local, I got Garrity's number round here somewhere. Chris White does awesome work, no doubt. So does lindsey, speedforce, powerhaus, etc.....

#20 Tomikaze

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • City:Portland
  • State:Maine
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

This is the first thread I'm reading on this forum and it's scaring me a bit. New to this group. No 968 yet. I am all too familiar with how easy it can be to spend cash tinkering around with these cars. I've got a $14,000 cap (estimated equity in my current Boxster S). I was hoping to find a well sorted 968 with under 60k and still have some $$ left over for some new wheels, tires, spoilers or something along those lines. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.