• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

968 Celebration at Hershey 2010

Spring is coming and so is the Hershey Swap Meet…our annual chance to gather, gab, and engorge on chocolate and fun in Hershey, PA.

This year's event will be held RAIN or SHINE from Friday, April 23rd, through Sunday, April 25th, to give you more events and more opportunities to meet and visit with your 968 friends.

The atmosphere will be very casual and relaxed.

Friday – April 23, 2010

Meet at the Hilton Gardens Inn – Hershey

550 East Main Street

Hummelstown, PA 17055

(717) 566-9292

A block of rooms are available for both Friday and Saturday night at $139 per night (plus sales and occupancy tax).

Be sure to tell them you are with "968 Celebration" to get the special rate.

This Rate EXPIRES on March 24, 2010

The hotel will provide a hose and water on Friday afternoon so that you will be able to rinse and shine at the hotel.

The parking lot will have a special corral marked off with cones so that the cars are not disturbed.

Special Event Added !

RS Barn and Design1Racing have generously offered to host a wine and cheese reception.
While I'm certain that there will be enough for everyone, I also know that we have a number of winies (wino's?) in our midst and if you would like to share a special bottle please feel free, we'd be happy to drink more laugh.gif . Details/location to follow.

There will be no organized group dinner on Friday evening. Everyone is encouraged to mingle and meet. We will have some recommendations for dining.

Saturday – April 24, 2010

8:00 AM SHARP!!!: Leave from Hilton Gardens Inn at to caravan to the Hershey Swap Meet.

Jim Groelinger, PCA 968 Register co-advocate, will be collecting $10.00 CASH before we leave the hotel and will pay for our group to be parked in the concours area at the swap meet. If you do not drive in with the group, please join us in the concours area when you arrive (you will need to pay the $10 fee yourself at the gate). Please note, if you want your car to be judged as part of the concours, you will need to register your car and pay an additional $10 Fee.

On the other hand, if you want to win a prize, but don't want to be judged in the concours we will be giving out awards to 968s only on Saturday night. The awards will be people's choice and you don't need to do anything to enter, just show up at the special parking area and let your peers decide.

We will, as always have a tailgate party at the Swap Meet, headed by Kathy Downs (our perennial party favorite). It helps a lot if everyone brings some type of food to share....munchies, store bought food, whatever. Please bring your chairs or blankets, sunscreen, and a food item and/or beverage to share (if it needs to be refrigerated, you need to have a cooler). Kathy will supply basic sandwich fixin's (bread/rolls, selection of lunch meats and cheese, condiments, etc.). Suggestions: pasta or potato salad, veggies, salsa/chips, watermelon, desserts.

Dinner – Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:30 PM

Fenicci's Restaurant

102 West Chocolate Avenue

Hershey, PA 17033

Fenicci's will be serving a family style dinner of their best Italian specialties, including Appetizer, Pasta, salad, and Entrée, with soft drinks included, for an all-inclusive price of $27.00/person.

Your reservation, along with a check for $27.00 per person for this event, will need to be received NO LATER THAN Saturday, April 17, 2010.

Please remit payment to:

Jay Kravitz

c/o RS Barn

53B German Avenue

Newtown, PA 18940

Ivan Arzola of IMA Motorsports has agreed to be a speaker at the dinner, and perhaps a few surprises!

Sunday – April 25, 2010

9:00 AM: Meet in the parking lot at Hilton Gardens Inn for a fun run in the beautiful countryside around Hershey. This event will be sponsored by 968Forums and will not be connected with, sponsored by, or have any relationship to, PCA or any chapter of PCA.

The fun run will be approximately 50-70 miles and will be completed by Noon.

968Forums will sponsor a lunch at the end of the run. The timing is expected to allow most participants to make their way home before sunset.

968 Celebration at Hershey 2010 promises to be a great gathering! Make your plans today!

Brought to you by:

Jeff Coe – 968 Register Advocate

Jim Groelinger – 968 Register Co-advocate

Jay Kravitz – 968Forums.com

Darryl Nichols – Hook It Up/Odds and Ends Car Detailing

Kathy "How much can one person pack into a 2- seater" Downs

Edited by 94SilverCab, 24 March 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#2 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

Straight from the PCA Central PA Region website

"The 968 Club typically brings 30 or so cars alone! Are you air-cooled guys gonna let a bunch of water-pumpers dominate the Swap? "

I say HELL YES! Let's show them how we roll...
we'll P(orsche)OWN Them !

Jay

#3 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

lol - this promises to be the best celebration yet - having heard how the organization is going, and knowing the people involved, it should be the best of all worlds

i am very much looking forward to it

#4 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • City:New York City
  • State:New York
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

i'll be there.

#5 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Assuming nothing untoward happens to me on Friday, when I'll be on the track at the Monticello Motor Club (as part of the Robin Hood Rally prep), I'll also be there...but probably not before dark. After all, I have to collect the swap meet parking money.

#6 DiREW0LF

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • City:Dover
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

We'll be there!

biggrin.gif

#7 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

I'll be there Friday and Saturday.
Doing a BMW meet sunday.

I'll make sure to drive my 951 out of the caravan so as to avoid another boxter fiasco...

#8 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

You might as well drive your 951 with the caravan....i know my buddy will drive his with the caravan if he attends....he'll just role in the back.

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

lol - no worries pat - there won't be any of that nonsense

#10 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

i just talked with pete and jay - many many plans for the event - a few surprises in store too

now, if i can figure out how to entertain myself over the long drive out there, i think that every aspect of the trip will be great fun - the run back, ayn will be with me, so that's a no brainer, but the way out there, i'll be alone - that gets tedious when you are towing, and i have no option, as i am dragging a lot of stuff with me

it's all good though, and i like the new 3 day layout - i LOVE the fact that there will be a fun run - that has been painfully absent in years past (with 1 exception, when jay and pete hosted the event) - i also like that the dinner is on saturday - friday was always too difficult and rushed - cramming in the "wash and shine", and the dinner, all in one night was highly problematic and the fun got sucked out of it because of all the rushing around - jay and i missed the whole parking lot thing one year, due to a slightly late departure - then the saturday thing was always rushed as well, as everybody had to leave by noon to get to the next thing

this is much better - a nice relaxed gathering - a nice relaxed day at the swap meet, and then a nice dinner afterward - followed by a fun run the next day - i love it

the more i think about this, the more fun it sounds

#11 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

i enjoyed hershey last year (despite the bs brought on by certain RL members...or should i say kids?)

This year's event sounds 3 times better, i cant wait to be there.

#12 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • City:Canning, NS, Canada
  • State:Nova Scotia
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

If I get my Nexus card in time to cross the border) and if the weather is not too cold (I will need to drive from Nova Scotia, through New Brunswick, into Quebec and then into Ontario, turning south near Cornwall and then south to Hershey) I will be driving there, hopefully in the white coupe. Total is 1359 miles and it may still be winter in Quebec

Edited by Kim, 30 January 2010 - 08:08 AM.

#13 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:15 AM

Kim,

It would be terrific if you could make it down. You would probably win the Hershey Swap meet award for furthest distance (pretty sure Flash doesn't count because he is trailering). Bob Blackwell took honors a few years ago, it's time for a 968 to take the podium again.

Jay

#14 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • City:Canning, NS, Canada
  • State:Nova Scotia
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

And I get to see the likes of you, the real treat in the trip

Just need to replace the CV boot and rotate the rear tires - ready to go

Edited by Kim, 30 January 2010 - 08:29 AM.

#15 sbdrivingdotcom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Bob:

If you had a trailer that could fit two cars, I'd head out with you. Sounds like an amazing event and someday I'd like to get out to it.

Jarrod

#16 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

jay - what do you mean i don't count? heck, i should get double credit for having to drive so slowly - it's going to take 3 days to get there

sb - i've flown out there for this one too

#17 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

Jarrod,

Jump on a plane, you would love the East Coasters as much as I enjoyed the left Coasters.

Jay

#18 stewhatch

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • City:Luzerne County
  • State:PA
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

(I will need to drive from Nova Scotia, through New Brunswick, into Quebec and then into Ontario, turning south near Cornwall and then south to Hershey)
Kim - if you don't mind my suggesting, I've made the drive from Quebec to N.E. PA a number of times before I moved here and if you're headed the same way, your best option (IMO) is to stay on 401 West to the 1000 Islands area - look for 81 South / Bridge to the USA - about an hour or so past the Cornwall crossing that you mentioned ... the route I think you intend to take will bring you just north of Watertown NY, where you'll have to turn onto 81 south anyways. You might as well stay on 401 - at 120 kph - all the way to the 1000 Islands exit I suggested, then head south, cross the border, and you'll already be on 81 south without any stop signs / small towns slowing you down. That will take you all the way down to the appropriate exits to make it to Hershey. When are you planning to arrive? I could meet you along the route ....

#19 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

this is so cool - people are already talking about an en route rendezvous

i'll be posting my route and schedule fairly soon, and maybe can hook up with others along the way for a bite or something

#20 Scott Collins

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • City:Cranbury
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

It looks great, but baby #3 is due on March 5, so I will miss another one. One of these years....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.