• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • City:Charlotte
  • State:North Carolina
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

I'm still looking hard to get back into a 968Cab. I'm definitely leaing towards a black, dark blue, or possibly grey.

Saw this one on ebay (just starting to get bid up), and would like opinions on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...P...2&viewitem=

Couple of things I already noticed and asked the seller about were:
1) maintenance records/timing belt (don't have them, but will work on it)
2) Given the overall condition and description of the car, why were the seats replaced with '92 style seats (seller did not know)
3) asked for picture of front nose, bottom of bumper (found out that it had been badly curbed and prior owner had lower piece cut off) - Very disappointing cause I'm guessing it's also probably missing the bottom engine cover since there would be no where to attach it.

What are your thoughts on the cab top framing in the picture. I don't remember that big a gap between the main arms on my last cab when the top was down. Does this look like an issue or normal in the pics?

I'm still interested in the car and can live with '92 seats, upgrade the rims, and replace the front nose, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any other hidden stories that didn't make it to the description.

Thanks,

Edited by Ceenit, 22 October 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

1 - good idea - get them if you can - don't screw around with questionable belts

2 - those could be the original seats - early 94s had the early style seats - this appears to be an early 94 (note the engine bay trim plastic)

3 - bummer on the bumper cover, but you can find one of those pretty easily

the top does not look normal at the front of each arm - not sure what it is - i'll have to go down and pull the boot cover off mine to find out

#3 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

The car was built 6/93 and is probably a 718 code 1994. I don't believe there is a problem with the seats.

Jay

#4 ebarone968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • City:boonton
  • State:new jersey

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:16 AM

That top is not folding completely for some reason. The bracket is sticking up too high. Bet the cover will not fit either.

#5 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (Ceenit @ Oct 22 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm still looking hard to get back into a 968Cab. I'm definitely leaing towards a black, dark blue, or possibly grey.

Saw this one on ebay (just starting to get bid up), and would like opinions on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...P...2&viewitem=

Couple of things I already noticed and asked the seller about were:
1) maintenance records/timing belt (don't have them, but will work on it)
2) Given the overall condition and description of the car, why were the seats replaced with '92 style seats (seller did not know)
3) asked for picture of front nose, bottom of bumper (found out that it had been badly curbed and prior owner had lower piece cut off) - Very disappointing cause I'm guessing it's also probably missing the bottom engine cover since there would be no where to attach it.

What are your thoughts on the cab top framing in the picture. I don't remember that big a gap between the main arms on my last cab when the top was down. Does this look like an issue or normal in the pics?

I'm still interested in the car and can live with '92 seats, upgrade the rims, and replace the front nose, but I'm trying to figure out if there are any other hidden stories that didn't make it to the description.

Thanks,

It looks like a clean car. It is a stripo from a 968 perspective. It has no optional equipment other then the partial leather seats. Bob and Jay are correct, the car is an early 94 718 car (originally a 1993 and reVINed as a 94). Funny thing, it is the third to the last of the 94 718 cars. RS840250, 3 cars later, had the 94.5 changes. But again, looks clean in the photos.
Jeff

#6 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

I have a good bumper cover I'll be selling soon.

#7 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback and possible line on a bumper. I asked the seller for pics of the front nose and undercarriage to get a better ideal of what's missing. My last cab was missing the under body shield (bat shield) and air diverters for the front brakes, so I know those pieces can add up.

Based on what else I get back from the seller, I may go after this one. For me it depends a lot on how thorough and responsive the seller is. That tells me if there are any other hidden stories. The front bumper seemed like a pretty big deal to exclude from the description.

#8 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Is a coupe out of the question?

#9 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (PorscheDude @ Oct 22 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is a coupe out of the question?

Definitely like the coupes, but I love the cabs.

#10 DayDreamer

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • City:Johannesburg, South Africa
  • State:Gauteng

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

I just had a quick look at my car with the top down, you are right, the ebay car is wrong... I have about a palm's distance between the top of the body panel and the top of the frame.

#11 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

the checklist at the bottom shows it has service records of course it also says factory rollbar and that excellent book of $17,000+

#12 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

yeah - i saw the "rollbar" - looks like it lands on top of the storage box - not terribly solid - can't recline the seats or use the windscreen with it either

#13 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

I agree that there's something weird about the way the top sits when down...do you think it's possible that it's been modified/adjusted to clear the roll bar? It'd be interesting to see if the boot cover fits or not. They advertise that it works OK, so it can't be all that bad...it goes up and down. Wonder if the rollbar could be removed without major effort or destroying the interior? All speculation at this point.

My two cents:

1.) people are bidding on it and it appears to be a No Reserve auction, so it'll sell.
2.) At this mileage and condition, my guess would be you could do a lot worse!

It will be interesting to see what the final selling price is.

- Darryl

#14 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

yup - looks like a decent car, in spite of the things we've pointed out - certainly nothing that can't be remedied

#15 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

Just get a independant PPI done on it, preferably someone with actual Porsche experience and experience with the 944/968 line. It has a roll bar, and it's most likely installed for the reason they are usually installed. So check out the suspension and everything. Auto-X and DE's add wear a bit quicker to the cars.

#16 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (flash @ Oct 23 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah - i saw the "rollbar" - looks like it lands on top of the storage box - not terribly solid - can't recline the seats or use the windscreen with it either

Do you really think it is just mounted to the Wooden storage box? If so, that is nuts. I would guess it just passes through the storage box and is attached to the floor, at least i hope so!

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

from the pic it looks like there is a landing pad on the storage box - i can't think of why that would be there, or how you would install it if it passed through the box - it could be that there is a right angle bracket, but that won't be very strong in a rollover, as the load is then only on the bolt, and would shear off

#18 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

I do remember a black cab with rollbar for sale in Florida a couple of times in the last few years by one guy. Jeff- you have info on this VIN?

#19 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (Mark @ Oct 23 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do remember a black cab with rollbar for sale in Florida a couple of times in the last few years by one guy. Jeff- you have info on this VIN?

I've never seen the car before but as I mentioned above, I have the registry data on it. It has no options other then the partial leather.

#20 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

The seller was responsive in providing me the attached picture. From the looks of it I would need a new front bumper, batwing (front apron), and possibly the brake ducts.

Im guessing between those parts and paint, I could be into it another $1-2k, top may be another $0-1k depending on what the issue is, belts another $1k, some new rims ~$2-3k. May be worth the additional expense if the bidding stays low enough. I'm kicking myself for not buying a similar triple black out of FL a month back for about $9.5k, it had a few more miles but was very sorted out and nice rims to boot.

I really don't like 'private listing' auctions. Ebay has enough security that you can't really tell who the other bidders are. Private listing makes me suspicios that the seller is bidding their own item up....maybe I'm just paranoid.

I put in another bid, Still thinking on if I will go higher.......

Attached Files

Edited by Ceenit, 23 October 2009 - 08:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.