968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

This coupe surfaced last year on Autotrader and then disappeared but now it is on eBay.

What makes it special?

NS820067 - The seventh 968 coupe made for the North American market (out of 2,234)
Option 740 car - show car preparation option. So far, only 4 coupes (including this one) have it.
All the neat early 968 production features like the recessed badge and larger edged emblems
Pretty good options including sport seats, limited slip, 17" wheels (which are no longer with the car), factory CD player with hi-fi speakers

But what really makes this car interesting is that it might very well be the first 968 coupe to actually show up here in the US. You see, even though they made 6 before it none of those cars have any records on CarFax which makes me think that Porsche held on to them.

The dealer who has the car has no idea what it is (or what a 968 is), he just got it from a friend. He has no maintenance history or records but says the CarFax supports the 56K miles.

So, if you like red and are in the market for a coupe this one is definately worth a look (if you are into production details like me).
Jeff Coe

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

contrary to what it says in the ad, the car has seen some paint work - not sure why though - look closely enough and you'll see it too

#3 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:00 PM

Could the first 6 have been the crash test victims?

#4 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Mark @ Sep 27 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could the first 6 have been the crash test victims?

I don't think so. You may or may not know but Porsche reserves the first 60 VINs from each series for testing purposes so that would be where your crash cars would be found. I'll bet they wanted to keep some North American 968s around for the press or whatever and they're probably still over there.

QUOTE (flash @ Sep 27 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
contrary to what it says in the ad, the car has seen some paint work - not sure why though - look closely enough and you'll see it too

I'm not surprised. The dealer was not knowledgable in any way and has practically nothing for history on the car. The seats look a little strange to me (dyed?) and what happen to the 17"s. Funny that the CD player is still there but let's not start on that again. ohmy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.