• Rookie
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • City:AUSTIN
  • State:TEXAS
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:25 AM

I have found a 968 with 69,000 miles. 1997 it was issued a junk title to the insurance company in Texas (carfax and autocheck). in 1999 it went to salavage rebuilt and was sold , moved to GA and then VA where it was retitled and eventually made its way back to Texas and somehow got a clean title.

Seller had it listed at $7995. I provided the history (he claims he was unaware) but he said he would keep her before dropping price. He has subsequently failed to sell her on ebay and when i contacted him again (been a minth since my first inquiry) he dropped price to $6500. Seller has agreed to allow a PPI (using Matt, local widely accept expert) for the PPI.

Other known issues are that top has some broken bows and does not seat properly and seller has no service history.

I understand the implications of buying a title challenged vehicle and have the intent of keeping her forever as long as the frame and body check out.

Big question is price. $6500 is still too high. Thoughts on pricepoint assuming PPI only uncovers that maintenance needs to be preformed based on the lack of service history? I am thinking in the $4000 area.

Thanks
Jim

Attached Files

#2 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:34 AM

Two broken bows isn't cheap, figure at least $600 in parts, maybe more now. It requires the top removal, so there a bit of labor there, and while your there it maybe time for top replacement. The $4k price would probably be more appropriate, but it is a tip, so that would drop the price for me even more..

#3 jwillman

968 Forums Member

• Rookie
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (banditsc @ Aug 12 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two broken bows isn't cheap, figure at least $600 in parts, maybe more now. It requires the top removal, so there a bit of labor there, and while your there it maybe time for top replacement. The $4k price would probably be more appropriate, but it is a tip, so that would drop the price for me even more..

So is it because you prefer a manual or are there know reliabiliuty issues with the tip?

#4 xrad

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • City:NE
  • State:Ohio
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:02 AM

Body looks good from this angle. If the PPI checks out and it has a clean title, 6500 is not too high a price at all. It is actually a very good deal.

Need to have it checked out and go from there..

make sure to get at least a copy of the title faxed to you before buying...

#5 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:07 AM

Not sure what it means but there was no such thing as a standard factory 968 cashmere boot. Cashmere cabs always got a black boot.

#6 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

I remember seeing this car for sale both locally here in VA and via eBay. There were some pictures of the top when it was "up" or should I say supposed to have been up...it is a mess, so you're looking at a new top which as others have mentioned, isn't cheap. It also isn't particularily easy, so you'll need to find someone who knows convertibles and/or Porsche specifically.

Now, that being said, tops are replaced all the time and it certainly doesn't mean the car is a POS. My car had it's top replaced at some point in it's life prior to me and it's fine. If all of the other areas of the car check out, it probably wouldn't be a bad purchase...just be prepared to spend additional cash to get it up to par. Only your budget can determine if it is a "good deal" or not.

Why was it salvaged?

True that tips are usually a little cheaper but the mileage is relatively low, so I'd wait to see what the PPI turns up and negotiate from there. Good luck whatever you decide.

- Darryl

#7 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • City:Plumsteadville
  • State:PA
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

Also depends, in my opinion, on how you will use the car. If your intent is to use it as a project car for weekend, top-down cruising, you can address the top at your leisure. So I wouldn't worry about the top too much in this case. It will be expensive to fix, but that is the nature of the beast.

If your intent is to drive it daily, then I would assume you would want to address the top ASAP. So factor that into the equation.

Tips are typically less desired than the 6 speeds, but if I could, I would have a coupe tip as a daily driver.

Another thing to keep in mind - apparently one of the tip trans components (maybe the flex plate or damper plate or whatever) is supposedly NLA from Porsche. I don't have a tip so I don't know any detail and haven't really paid attention to the matter. Others can chime in and provide better information - I could be and probably am completely wrong.

As for price, if the body, frame AND engine/trans mechanicals check out, I think anything under $5K would be a good deal. Don't forget that our engines are subject to problems due to lack of maintenance. Very expensive problems if they show up. So the lack of maintenance and not knowing why the car was salvaged would be deal breakers for me.

No matter what, make sure the person doing your PPI knows 968's inside and out. And good luck! Hope to see you in a 968 soon!!

#8 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What year is your 968?:1994

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

It would be helpful to know who "Matt" the expert is...perhaps someone here has used him and can verify his ability with 968s, they are somewhat quirky and there are a laundry list of things to look for in a PPI (by the way, you should download the PPI list found here on the site).

My initial reaction is that you should run...Tips are not highly desireable and can often be found in good condition at a reasonable (some would say cheap) price. Why put yourself into a position with a car that has so many known issues, even if you don't intent to re-sell it? For $9K this tiptronic on Cars.com seems like a better candidate (no relation to the car, just a quick search).

http://www.cars.com/...mp;aff=national

Jay

#9 Johannvb

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • City:Doorn
  • State:Netherlands

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

Oooh another 968S! Why buy a plain 968 if you can get an S cool.gif Although there is somehing not right about the driver side door on the upper panel...looks like an additonal speaker or something.....and what's up with Porsche badge on the airbag cover, surely that is dangerous! Maybe this was an "S" feature only tongue.gif

All joking asside though, I agree with Jay...you can do better for the money.

Edited by Johannvb, 12 August 2009 - 09:00 AM.

#10 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

salvage title generally only pulls about $3-5k out of the price tag if the car is solid

the top bows are good for as much as $2.5k, since it means replacing them, and likely the top

a tip drops things about $2k from premium

red drops another $1k or so

premium price for a perfect 69k cab on 16" wheels with current service would be about $20

your deductions bring it down to $9500 - unless the car is trashed, i think $6500 is a fair price, even considering that you will need to spend $2k-$3k on service - if it is in cosmetically fair shape, then you can start coming down from there a bit, but you will be hard pressed to get below $5k - it would be worth more than that parted out

this isn't a 944 after all

hmmm - maybe i should snag it just so i could use the engine in a race car and hang onto the trans for the white car - i could dump the rest at garage sale prices and still come out ahead

#11 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (flash @ Aug 12 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmm - maybe i should snag it just so i could use the engine in a race car and hang onto the trans for the white car - i could dump the rest at garage sale prices and still come out ahead

Yes, certainly lots 'o good stuff on that car. If we were closer to each other, I'd be in for that... tongue.gif 'cept for the fact that I just spent my cash stash...new thread topic for that later! Building those reserves back up already, though.

- Darryl

#12 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

i'm not far from starting to do that with a number of cars though - putting a plan together now

#13 jwillman

968 Forums Member

• Rookie
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Johannvb @ Aug 12 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oooh another 968S! Why buy a plain 968 if you can get an S B) Although there is somehing not right about the driver side door on the upper panel...looks like an additonal speaker or something.....and what's up with Porsche badge on the airbag cover, surely that is dangerous! Maybe this was an "S" feature only tongue.gif

All joking asside though, I agree with Jay...you can do better for the money.

So I am a new Porsche buyer and I did some research on the 968 and never saw a single reference to an S model so I assume your tongue in check reply confirms that someone felt compelled to dress up the rear deck numbers.

I had already called the Sanata Moinica Rover dealer about the green 968. They have no service records. Is there anyone out there that knows this car or wouldn't mind taking a look?

I went to title office today and the car was apparently in a crash. Insurance company put it on a junk title and then sold it. According to the documents I got the only things replaced were hood, bumper, right fender and winshield. Considering the car was only 3 years old at the time of the accident seems minor to justify a totaled junk title. tried top contact the insurance company but they were no help without a claim number.

Matt Hazlett of TPWS in Austin would do the inspection. He is recommeded by R.L., PCA and many locals.

Thanks for all the points of view. They are very helpful.

Jim

#14 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

Strong pass...

Best advice is to lurk around here, search autotrader, cars.com, craigslist and e-bay. Become familiar with the marque and features. These are low production cars, but also fairly low interest...Tiptronics in particular. Keep looking and we'll keep posting, you'll have your new baby in due time.

Jay

#15 Johannvb

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • City:Doorn
  • State:Netherlands

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (jwillman @ Aug 13 2009, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I am a new Porsche buyer and I did some research on the 968 and never saw a single reference to an S model so I assume your tongue in check reply confirms that someone felt compelled to dress up the rear deck numbers.

Sorry for confusing you Jim, I was referring to the seller's notes on the green cab: Seller's Notes: A HARD TO FIND 1994 PORSHE 968S CABRIOLET...

I would suggest running a search here on the forum for cars for sale, I have seen better examples posted in the past month than both these...good luck in your search.

#16 jwillman

968 Forums Member

• Rookie
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:57 AM

Thanks all for the input. Appears someone in GA has bought the car and honestly I am relieved.

There is actually a 1994 Amazon Green with what the customer calls light blue leather and a 6 spd for sale here as well. He has all service records since purchase and only big issue appears top be a slightly worn top. Car has 102000 miles. He has it listed for $10,800 but asked me to make an offer. Don't want to low ball the buye and edmunds and KBB are miles apart on price. Seems fairly priced based on Autotrader comparisons. Thoughts?

Is there such an interior color as light Blue or is that interior really called Linen?

I seem drawn to the red ones but from a 968 enthusiast perspective there seems to be some distain for the red ones. Is there a post that lays out how many of each color were built? I see indvidual references here and there.

Thanks again

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

lol - no post yet - waiting for jeff to post the production list

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.