• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • City:Fairfax Station, School in Chester
  • State:Va, School in PA
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

sweet! thanks man. ya mom wanted hershey lodge but it filled up a loongg time ago. ill look into the sheraton.

#42 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • City:Hershey
  • State:PA

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

Patrick, Joel and anybody else who would like to join us for both Friday and Saturday or is just able to bring their 968 to the Swap Meet on Saturda, let me know at email address below and I will add you to the attendee list (currently 31 cars) and reserve a parking spot and window decal for your 968. smile.gif

Don
dhassenbein@comcast.net

#43 Paul Anthony

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

31 cars is nothing to sneeze at!
Keep us posted Don.
Sounds like everything is coming along nicely.

#44 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

Paul,

33 cars are signed up as of today (Richard & Doreen M, Michigan and Eric S, Kingstown, PA signed up today)!

Please note, anyone who needs one of the few remaining rooms must sign up with first and I will give you the contact name and number at the Holiday Inn in Grantville, who has an official list of Attendees. wink.gif

Note - Any reservation made directly with the Holiday Inn National line for rooms made under my $99 plus tax Group Rate is invalid since my contract is with the local Holiday Inn, not national.

Please sign up first with me in order to get a room at the Holiday Inn at the discount rate. Them's the rules! mad.gif

Don
Local Host 968 Gathering at the Swap Meet
dhassenbein@comcast.net

#45 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hot News!

Kim from Nova Scotia just signed up! He will be driving 2,500 kilometers to attend the event, definitely the farthest driving distance. He will try to meet up with the 3 other fellows from Canada and Caravan down from Canada. Kim is looking forward to seeing all the 968 owners that he met at the 2006 Celebration in Newtown, PA, hosted by Jay and Pete.

Don

#46 stewhatch

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • City:Luzerne County
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ Mar 18 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't following this before but I am thinking now that perhaps I might come down to to this. Always good to re-aquaint with persons of like mind. Hope to bring the white coupe this time if the harness thing gets resolved. So, are there spaces still available? And is there an agenda posted somewhere?

You guys from Canada - where are you? I would likely drive first to Toronto and then south from there.

I'm there Saturday - count one Canuck. From Canada (Montreal) but now residing in PA. If you are driving from the east, it's far easier / nicer a drive if you cross at 1000 Islands and take 81 all the way down to Hershey. A bientot Kim!

#47 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

Current status 35 968 Coupes and Cabriolets signed up, everyone who signed up with me and was on the hotel roster has a confirmed, reserved room at the Holiday Inn. If you did not sign up with me and called their National 800 line, you do not have a confirmed reservation and need to start checking other hotels.

If you find a room Friday night and still want to join us for the 968 Dinner, let me know. If you can only make it for the Saturday Swap Meet, let me know and I will provide you with a Gathering window decal and 968 Parking Pass.

We will have quite a few surprises at the event.

Don
dhassenbein@comcast.net

#48 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

968 Fans,

Update: 36 + 1 968s have signed up, 38 will attend the 968 Dinner, 28 968s will be in the Saturday Caravan, 2 attendees will park in the Concours area, 33 in the 968 Parking area (each will receive a Parking Pass) and 40 individuals will attend the Tech Session at my house.

The sign-up period for the 2009 968 Gathering is officially over. If you did not sign up for the 968 Gathering but are still thinking about coming to the Hershey Swap Meet, I highly recommend attending the Swap Meet, check out www.cpa-pca.org/swap Please stop by the 968 Parking area on Saturday and say hello to all of us.

Don

P.S. I will also advise our 240 PCA 968 Register members about the sign-up period ending yesterday. Whew, now I can concentrate on all the details rather than trying to convince people to come (yeah Kim, I really appreciate you driving the 2,500 km to come to the event and look forward to seeing you again).

#49 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • City:Plumsteadville
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

I've got good news and bad news....

First the good news: I've decided to get Lasik. After 26-27 years of dealing with wearing glasses or contacts non-stop, I feel the technology is far enough along that I am 100% comfortable getting the procedure.

Now the bad news: First available surgery (they only do Fridays) is April 24th.

Now the really bad news: The manditory follow-up is the day after - Saturday April 25th. No can do Hershey this year.

So... I'll see y'all in 2010 wearing cool.gif !!!!!

As much as I was looking forward to seeing everyone, I've waited a long time for this procedure to get to where it is and I'm ready! Wish me luck (good thing they give you a Valium before) and I hope everyone has a good time!

Take lots of pictures for me and if anyone finds a good, cheap set of Ruf 17" or 18" 5-spokers, buy 'em for me!

#50 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

At least next year, you really will be able to see us!

Best of luck with the surgery.

#51 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (PorscheDude @ Apr 2 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least next year, you really will be able to see us!

Best of luck with the surgery.

1. Not sure if that's a good thing or not!!!! laugh.gif
2. Thanks. I'm nervous but overly excited nonetheless!

#52 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

I was just thinking about asking you if we should meet early on that Friday so that we can jointly fix our door locks (I'm having different difficulties with each of the doors). I guess I'll have to tackle the doors alone, as I can't let them stay the way they are for another year.

Both of my kids had Lasik and were absolutely thrilled with the result. Best of luck, I'm sure it'll go well.

As you sure you can't postpone for one week?

#53 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

Good luck, I was really hoping to see your new ride up close. Let's try to meet when you recover.

Jay

#54 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing you and your car and if you came to the Friday night presentation you would have "heard" how many SY 968 cabs they made!!! Oh well, it will be on the web in a few weeks. best of luck with the surgery. I timed my heart value issue around the 968 event smile.gif

#55 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • City:New York City
  • State:New York

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:46 AM

good luck with the surgery Jim. I would have loved to see your SY cab.

#56 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Jim- No can reschedule. I either take the 24th of April or I wait until late June. As much as I would like to be at the swapper, my desire to be without glasses is overpowering. I don't want to wait anymore- my midlife crisis is in full swing. What time are you going to Hershey? I'll be off on Friday and I don't have to leave for surgery until 12:45-1pm. If you are heading there in the morning, you are more than welcome to stop by my house and I can give you a run down of all the fun things you have to look forward to with your doors...!!! I'd be happy to pull my door panel and show you all the goodies/take pics. Doing so would be 1.5 hours max. Let me know- it would be my pleasure and would take my mind off the impending smell of burning eyeball flesh!!! The only caveat is timing for the Valium. Not sure when I would have to take it...

Jay- Absolutely. I'm thinking a little get-together is in order sometime in June. Perhaps we can convince Pete to let us use his shop as a home base for a day and go for lunch from there.... I also wouldn't mind heading a little farther south to make it easier for Pat, Mark, and the other Southerners. Longwood Gardens perhaps? Delware- maybe catch a minor league ball game- what are they called- the Blue Rocks or something?

Jeff- You, sir, are a man! Lemme see- heart valve issue or Hershey?! For the number of SY cabs in NA, I've heard talk of 12 or so. I know of 5. Three of which are within a 1.5 hour radius here on the lovely east coast! What I really want to know is the number of SY coupes. While my wife would surely kill me, I would be hard pressed to turn down getting a coupe to match the cab.

Dino- Thanks! Let me know the next time you're at Pete's during the week. I am literally 15 minutes from his shop and would glady stop by to meet and say hello!

Edited by biotechee, 02 April 2009 - 05:58 AM.

#57 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

Jim,

Good luck with your operation, I agree that you are making the right decision. Look forward to "seeing you" at the 2010 Swap Meet.

Don

#58 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:36 AM

Thanks, Jim. I've been into the door interiors numerous times, so the dismantling, etc., is all too familiar. It was the comradeship I would be seeking - but I don't think that early on Friday will work for me. So - some other time, and best of luck seeing clearly.

#59 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

OK, guys and gals, what would you do? I just received this invitation:

Meet Halifax VIRginia Itinerary
Saturday April 25, 2009

10:00 am Arrive at Hospitality Suite
The Pagoda
Bar Service and Snacks thru end of event
Water, Assorted Soft Drinks
Premium and Domestic Beers
Wines and Premium Liquors

10:00 am Skip Barbour Race Series
10:30 am BMW Race Series
11:10 am VW JETTA TDI Race Series
11:15 am Driver Autograph Session
NOON Luncheon Buffet from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm:
The Oak Tree Garden Salad Basket with Mesclun Greens and Goat Cheese, Croutons and Two Dressings
Basket of Assorted Breads and Butter
Sliced Smoked Brisket of Beef
Honey Soy Ginger Grilled Salmon Fillet
Oven Roasted Red Skin Potatoes
Asparagus Spears with Pancetta and Sun Dried Tomatoes
Platter of Grilled and Roasted Vegetables
Seasonal Fruit Platter
Hot Fruit Cobblers
Assorted Chocolates and Mints
Hot Teas, Cocoa, Regular and Decaf Coffees

NOON Special Events

1:00 pm VEDP Commonwealth Cup Challenge
Plantation Valley Kart Track
2:00 pm Afternoon Snacks at 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm:
Fresh Whole Fruit Bowl
Assorted Individual Sweet and Savory Snacks
Ice Tea, Lemonade, Ice Water
Coffee Service
2:30 pm Rolex Grand Am Race

#60 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

Anchorman,

My totally unbiased opintion would be to blow this off in favor of that 968 Gathering at the Swap Meet. Hey, you probably will get another invitation like this next year, but you will never get another invitation to attend a 968 event hosted by the redbaron. mellow.gif

In Hershey you will see lots of familiar faces from previous Celebrations and Gatherings and get to show off all those modifications you have made. This is a no brainer, IMHO. biggrin.gif

But, hey, what do I know, I am just the local host! laugh.gif

redbaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.