968 Forums Newbie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • City:Azzano Decimo
  • State:Italy
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:21 PM

Just want to say hello and i look forward to getting great information from this forum. I am currently stationed in Italy and purchased a 1992 968 cab, red/black top/black interior. It is a great looking car and i look forward to owning it for awhile. The question i have, my car is euro spec'd and eventually I must come back to the US, I want to bring this car with me. I was wondering what needs to be done to make this car US spec'd and can i start working on those items now. I have read the paperwork from the gov. but it does not give a clear answer. I know some car manufactures keep a lot of parts the same and do not use them in Europe because safety is tougher in the US. If anyone has any information that would be helpfull please post. If I have to sell my car I want to do it soon. I will be disappointed but laws are laws. Thanks for everyones assitance.

V/R

Kevin Goulet

#2 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Not sure about the US but as we follow most of the Calif standards up here (Canada) this one might count.... We have to have day light running lights wired up on an import. Not sure if the Euro spec has these, I doubt it as Europe is more relaxed on these things. You also have more horsepower and possibly more particulate matter so air care certification might be an issue?

#3 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

no horsepower change on these cars - there are some emissions items not found on ROW cars though (the big red warning light for one) - the chip is different too - also, US spec cars are not allowed to have the back seat in place for import - running it afterward is a state by state thing

i'm sure there are other things too - may not be as bad as importing a club sport, but probably almost

#4 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

Windshield may be different
Instrument cluster is different (check engine light and obd 1)
Front and rear bumpersttes
Depending what country it was originally sold in, may or may not have an O2 sensor

#5 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • City:Canning, NS, Canada
  • State:Nova Scotia
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

installing daytime running lights is a simple plug in of a relay. takes 10 seconds and costs about $50. car is already wired for it - you just need to add the relay.

#6 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

lol - now if i could only figure out how to disable them on the denali

#7 SILVY968

Silvy968

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • City:Sammamish
  • State:WA
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

installing daytime running lights is a simple plug in of a relay. takes 10 seconds and costs about $50. car is already wired for it - you just need to add the relay.

Kim,

If you search this site you will find a post the tells which pins to jump on the relay socket so that the running light switch on without the $50 relay. A short piece of wire with a spade lug on each end will do what the relay does for pennies and never wear out.
The relay simply connects two pins together!
Brian

#8 madridcab

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • City:Madrid
  • State:Spain
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

Gien the price differential (cheaper in the US - right now importing to Europe from the states is big business), and the much better choice you have in the states, I can not see any reason why you would not sell before you go back , and buy a good one in the states once you are back. I suspect trying to bring the car back will not be economically a wise thing to do, never mind the hassle with getting it homologated..

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

agreed - unless you are really wedded to that particular car, there should be little trouble finding a really nice one here for likely nearly the same as the shipping and import costs alone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.