• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

lol - i sure wish people would read the stuff at the top of the classifieds - it's right there in each ad

it is a classified ad, and not a thread - you must reply to the seller directly - replies are not allowed in the ad itself

Whoops - sorry about that. Should have been paying closer attention...

#22 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

it happens - you wouldn't believe how many new members sign up without reading the BIG RED LETTERS that say that validation is a manual process and could take up to 48 hours - i get a LOT of emails 10 minutes after they sign up asking why they can't get on

#23 jlm968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • City:Ann Arbor
  • State:MI

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

I spoke with the owner last night, and I'm going to see the car this afternoon. I have a friend with me interested in buying it.

#24 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

Good luck!

Have you seen this. It may be a tip, but it sure is cheap!
http://www.autotrade...mp;cardist=2512

#25 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

Good luck!
Have you seen this. It may be a tip, but it sure is cheap!
http://www.autotrade...mp;cardist=2512

have to be pretty desperate to let go of a 968 , tip or not, even running or not :P , for $ 5 k.. this is surely the last warning sign of the apocalypse, can locusts, fire and brimstone ( whatever TF that is.. ) be far behind ?! :P

last year I spent $ 5k to buy my son a 2000 Nissan Altima with 140k miles on it .. ohh, the regrets I now have ; if only this 968 would have been available then..

on the other hand, I never have to worry about anything whatsoever breaking on that Nissan, or needing any preventive maintenance to avoid things failing.. as we all know, the 968 is another story alltogether, but still !!

#26 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

$5K is only asking, the car is a money maker in parts.

#27 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

Somthing odd about that ad. I thought the car looked similar. Its also on cars.com for $9K in phoenix.

http://www.cars.com/...leadExists=true

#28 doggonit

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

Nice catch.........usually you see someone hijacking listings on Craigslist.

#29 jlm968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:15 AM

I liked the car in Dallas. A few issues with it, most prominent in my mind being that it had to have expensive work done because the timing belt job wasn't performed on schedule. I think the kbb.com value is pretty accurate for t his car at $10,670 (good) - 11,370 (excellent), considering the condition of the car (somewhere in betwen). The owner nixed any discussion of a $10k purchase.

#30 rob76turbo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • City:DFW
  • State:TX
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

There was another black 968 from Dallas on the boards a few months back. If I rembember correctly, it was on it's way to RUF and rolled down the ramp of the tow truck, still in gear and had some expensive damage done to the head. I remember seeing photos of the timing belt being posted and it looked like the belt was shot. Not sure if this is the same car, but one of them had a lot of expensive work done to the vavle train.

#31 jlm968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Now that the auction has ended without the reserve met, I feel more at liberty to comment on the car (VIN WP0AA2963RS820398).

The owner, Luke, whom I never personally met, was very accomodating for me to come see and drive the car, and his nephew was waiting when I arrived. Luke had advised me the previous night that he purchased the car for $22k and was now asking $15k (hence, the only auction bid for $13k did not meet his reserve).

Exterior:

* The car looks in to be in good shape. The car was dusty, so I couldn't discern other flaws in the black paint, but it seemed consistent with a 14-year-old car having only 47k miles. It was sitting outside with a cover on it when I arrived, and Luke had told me it was previously always garaged when he purchased it in Florida, that it had been sitting outside only since moving to Texas.

* The front engine cover, spare tire, and interior cargo-area cover were missing. Perhaps he has them, but they weren't with the car when I was there.

* There was a slight dent on the passenger-side door, that looked like a door ding but hadn't chipped the paint.

* The front nosepan was hanging a bit on the passenger-side, something that would be concealed easily with a bra if it's not just as easily repaired.

* The lower body valence on the driver-side had a gap where it curves upward at the rear, and the gasket was loose.

* The 17" wheels had a few scuffs. (At which purists might scoff!)

* Michelin Pilot A/S 255's in the rear, 225's in the front, with plenty of tread, perhaps fairly new.

* Brakes appeared to be original, not worn, though there was minor surface rust on the rotors that I had to ease off with a few gentle applications of the brakes when I started driving.

* Motor oil looked a tad dirty, and was about half-way down the fill mark on the dipstick. Didn't the oil get changed when they rebuilt the head?!

Interior:

* The interior was in very nice condition overall, almost flawless save for a slight bit of wear on the driver-seat piping.

* The passenger-side sun visor clip was broken.

* The Kenwood Excelon head unit worked well, but it was improperly connected such that the memory was lost when the keyswitch was shut off.

Driving impression:

* Aside from the noted brake rotor corrosion, the car drove flawlessly. I had opportunity to accelerate fairly hard into a 2nd-to-3rd-gear corner, and my impression was that it was not equipped with LSD; also, that it had stock struts/shocks and was no M030 equipment. However, it shifted perfectly, with plenty of pedal feel in the clutch, and revved happily to redline. I took occasion to brake hard, from approximatley 45 mph to 10 mph with my hands off the steeing wheel, and it was as perfect as a 968's supposed to be.

Is it worth $15k? Well, I think the market has spoken at least once, perhaps twice in light of rob76turbo's comment above. And, in light of a contemporaneous auction involving a 70k-mile LSD car in Minnesota, where the bidding is presently up to $17.9k or a $19,995 "buy-it-now" price, I think anyone would be a bit gun-shy about a car that's already had a timing belt failure.

Regards,
Janke

Edited by jlm968, 20 January 2009 - 12:26 PM.

#32 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

Completely off topic, sorry.

rob76turbo we need more pictures of your 968 in your gallery. Many of us are agog over the slate grey, so more pics please.

Thanks

Joe

#33 jlm968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:45 PM

Interesting that this car is again on eBay, this time with a starting price of $16k.

#34 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

Interesting that this car is again on eBay, this time with a starting price of $16k.

Thanks to the new fee's at Ebays no doubt. If he gets no bids he has nothing to loose.

Great write up Janke

#35 jlm968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

And again:
eBay Item 230351371250

#36 jlm968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

And again...zzz:

eBay 320414181210

#37 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

Black on black on black. I love it. That car is all business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.