• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,730 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

NorCaL group - how about a change of scenery / route for this year's drive to Paso ? Hwy 1 should be a great choice, IMO .. it'll add an hour or so to the drive, but given the beauty of the coast line in this region, not to mention that it'll be further enhanced by a caravan of 968s ... 1) why not ?! and 2) the SoCal group won't be there until around 1 pm this time around, so we can wake up later than we did in the last few years, meet up at a point that works well for everyone and then head out toward Santa Cruz, and the PCH awaits us smile.gif

#22 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • City:Santa Rosa
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Sounds good to me. It has been along time since I've gone south of Monterey on the PCH. The last time there were road closures for construction that added hours to the travel time.

#23 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

for those coming up from san diego for this, i am very aware of the long trek - to that point, let me shorten the journey

i hereby extend the facilities i have here so that you can come up friday night, rather than having to get up at 3am - i can sleep quite a few, so don't be bashful - ring me up and we can work it out

#24 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Well, we got all our 'rangments made...so we're a comin'!!!

Attached Files

#25 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

just a couple of details left - hotel worked out - route worked out - lunch and dinner left to go, and then i'll publish everything

#26 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (94SilverCab @ Mar 18 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, we got all our 'rangments made...so we're a comin'!!!

laugh.gif

looking forward to meeting you, Jed ! I mean.. Jay.

Edited by ds968, 19 March 2009 - 07:03 AM.

#27 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (ds968 @ Mar 19 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

looking forward to meeting you, Jed ! I mean.. Jay.

I'm looking forward to meeting Elli Mae wink.gif

#28 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

...and she is looking forward to meeting you...(This is her pic from 2007)

Melva is way hotter (<3 you honey)

Jay

Attached Files

#29 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

Ouch

#30 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

YIKES ! MILF takes on an entirely new meaning.. the F stands for Forget !

#31 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

back on topic:

edited to show changes - see post #35 below

#32 tom968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • City:Los Angeles
  • State:California
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

Sounds good. I'll meet up with you on route like last
year. I'll let you know about the room at a later date.

Tom

#33 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:53 AM

very cool - route maps and rendezvous times and places will be posted in the next few days - just working out the last details now

#34 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

updates and changes - this is a repost showing updates and changes

We're getting close to the date now for the 6th Annual Paso Robles Run. It's time to firm up all of the plans and get a head count. This is going to be the best run yet. We have lots of new stuff planned, and it is sure to be a great time for all.

I'm still shaking out a few details, but I wanted to get as much out there as i could now, particularly due to hotel issues.

Both Dan and I will have updates, course maps and all of that on the day of event too, but here is the plan as it stands now:

The courses to Paso Robles are now lain out, all fun routes, with lots of new stuff.

This year those of us coming from Southern California will take a more circuitous route, traveling up some very cool segments of back roads. We will depart my house at 6:00am. As always, we will be making scheduled stops along the way to pick people up en route. The way this works is we plan to be at each designated rendezvous spot by a specific time, however, if we have everyone we expect, we will only stay 5 of the allotted 15 minutes after the scheduled arrival time. If you are a last minute "drop in" and you haven't contacted me to let me know you are coming, then plan to be there BEFORE the scheduled time, or you will be on your own. This will be a "spirited" ride. If you are running with the group, and can't keep up with the pace, you will have a route sheet, which will include my cell number to let me know, so that you can get to the destination, including some options to cut time from the route and get you caught up.

I will issue final times and such, as well as any changes, but currently stops are planned as follows:
7:45 - 8:00 Starbucks Malibu (3900 Cross Creek Rd Malibu 90265)
9:20 - 9:45 HWY 154 Off Ramp (Calle Real) from HWY 101 (parking lot - corner of Calle Real Rd and Wye Rd)
11:45 - 12:00 Motel 6 parking lot - SW corner of HWY 1 (Cabrillo Hwy) and HWY 41 (Atascadero / Morro Rd)

Those from the San Diego area are welcome to come up Friday night and stay at our place. We have a lot of room, so don't be bashful. Ring me up.

The NorCal group will be led by Dan Sandru along the coastal route. That is sure to bring excellent photo opportunities. Contact him for the specifics of his group, including route instructions, times, etc. Dan will also be posting the NorCal information after contacting those participants.

We will all rendezvous at the Motel 6 in Morro Bay at 11:45 - from there we will head up HWY 41 to HWY 101 and on up to Paso Robles

We will arrive at Paso Robles for a late lunch at about 1:00 at Tobin James, where we will be enjoy their fire baked pizza fresh from the outdoor log burning pizza oven.

After lunch will then be off to do some wine tasting (duh) - this is the weekend of the big wine festival, so you can plan on tasting some amazing stuff.

Here is a link to the Wine Festival info:
http://www.pasowine....ress.php?id=370

We will then head off for a 6:00 dinner at AJ Spurs Saloon in Templeton.

After dinner, roughly 8:00, we will take a nice drive to the coast to where we will stay for the night in Cambria at the Cambria Castle Inn. I have arranged for a rate of $150 for the night plus 9% tax (total $163.50). It is a very quaint older hotel, right on the ocean, with spectacular ocean views and all that. You can see the place at www.cambriacastleinn.com

Here's the small "snag" on that though: The hotels in the area always demand a 2 night minimum, however, I have worked around this, and arranged for an exemption from that policy. To do this though, I have to guarantee and pre-pay the rooms. They want me to pay for the whole batch, and not take individual payments themselves. They were VERY clear about not allowing individuals to call and make their own arrangements. I also need to do this by check, as there will be no cancellations allowed.

Therefore, I will need to collect this BEFORE April 15 from anyone who wants to stay there. There will be no refunds for cancellation. There are limited rooms available, so contact me to make arrangements for the hotel. I can take credit cards via paypal (for an additional 3% fee). Contact me about that too.

For those who prefer to stay in town, book now, as availability is scarce, due to the festival - here is a list:
Attached File  Paso_Robles_Hotels.pdf   34.34KB   3 downloads

Sunday we will get up and gather for a phenomenal breakfast at 8:00am at one of our favorite spots in Cambria, the Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill (wow do they have good bacon). It's also right on the ocean, with ample parking. An excellent way to start the day.

From there we will head out at about 9:30 for our fun run across some truly fabulous roads in the Paso Robles area. This will show you what your car is all about, and remind you why we all love them.

After that, we will part and go our own separate ways. Some of us will go off to do some more wine tasting., Others will head off to the Wine Festival (highly recommended). Some will go home. Rest assured though that all will feel it was one of the greatest weekends of their lives.

If we get the crowd I think we will, there will also be a gimmick quiz, with a prize to the winner, as well as some other giveaway stuff and awards. I haven't decided if I will do that at dinner or breakfast or both yet. There are well over 30 cars that could attend this, so this could easily be one of the largest 968 events ever held.

Watch for updates and more information.

Please contact me asap so I can get a head count and make the appropriate arrangements.

#35 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:54 AM

I'll post later on this evening or tomorrow with some additional details for us northerners, and will also send out emails to our group with my phone #, etc.. but thinking we should meet at the usual spot ( Starbucks in Gilroy ) and from there take 101, cross over to Monterey peninsula and then on Hwy 1 down to Moro bay for the rendezvous with the southern hemispehre caravan.

Open to any other suggestions though..

btw, if you know other 968-ers in the area who might not follow this forum and have a way of contacting them, please extend the invitation -

Can you just imagine the phenom of having some thirty + 968s taking all the attention away from one of the largest wine festivals in the country, and in the process also enhancing the beauty of what are already some of the most scenic California coastal highways and canyon passes , while having an absolute blast doing it ? smile.gif

Forget about rockin' the casbah, let's ROCK the Paso !!

#36 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

ok, email sent to NorCal group with meeting details ( also noted below ), my cell phone #, and with a headcount request .. in the meantime, the suggested plan is as follows:

7:45 - 8:00 am - meet at the Starbucks shack in the Gilroy Outlets center ( Leavesley Road exit off Highway 101 )

8:00 departure ( or 8:15 if some of you may be running late.. )

Take 101 to 156 to 1 ( drive time approx 45 min. )

Take 1 to Morro Bay ( drive time approx 2hrs, 45 min )

11:30 – 11:45 Meet with the SoCal 968 group

Noon – leave for Paso Robles ( arrival at Tobin James winery for lunch 12:45 – 1:00 )

#37 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:29 AM

calls and emails are starting to trickle in, and the list is building - we're up to about a dozen confirmed cars so far

please don't delay on this though - time is flying by, and hotel deadlines are very real - i have had a small change in my schedule, so i will be finalizing the hotel at noon on april 13 - all payments will need to be here before then, so plan ahead - you only have a few days left - after that, you are on your own for hotel plans

i need a real head count for lunch, as they will be preparing the food in advance of our arrival so that it is ready when we get there - that way we can save time waiting for lunch, which has been a problem where we had gone in the past - but it does mean i need an accurate head count so we don't waste anything or come up short

for the purposes of reservations and table set up, i need dinner and breakfast head counts too

so please let either dan or myself know if you are coming

this one has been fun planning - we have a lot of cool stuff in store this year

#38 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (flash @ Mar 25 2009, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i need a real head count for lunch, as they will be preparing the food in advance of our arrival so that it is ready when we get there -

I'm in ONLY if they make us those same pizzas we had last time - damn, those were the best gourmet pizzas on the face of the earth ( and I am including N.Y., Rome, Naples and Palermo in that statement ). Otherwise me and my 968 are going to the nearby IN-N-OUT and then rejoining the goup for the wine tasting wink.gif

p.s. check will be in tomorrow's mail on it's way to Flashington Mutual Bank ( for the Cambria hotel )

#39 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

lol - that is EXACTLY what they are doing - that's why i need the head count - this is a big deal, and something they just flat don't do for just anybody - i'm not looking to spin their wheels

#40 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • City:Santa Rosa
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

Had a project meeting in Morro Bay today. Am spending the evening in Paso tonight and I will hit a couple of wineries on a slow slog north tomorrow. Took an interesting little road over from Hwy 46 that drops out on the PCH just at the southern end of Cayucas. It is called Old Oak Rd. I believe. Hard to drive fast with too many blind and just to make it interesting, negative camber curves with large oak tress for crash barriers. But the scenery was about as good as it gets. I was able to really blast over from Paso on Hwy 46 this AM. No traffic, no cops. That said, Hwy 101 south to San Miquel was packed with CHP in unmarked, except for the shield on the door, cars. Some didn't even have a light bar on the roof and they weren't Gov't black in color either.

Maybe it is time to invest in an electronic countermeasures device. As some of you know, I have an aversion to placing my trust in ECM devices.

Looking forward to the meet.

Flash, PM me your address and I'll send off a check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.