• You cannot reply to this topic
76 replies to this topic

#1 odb812

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

is there any word on whether there will be another 968 celebration during the hershey swap meet again this coming year? i know it's early, but i just saw the date for the swap meet is april 26th and i'm considering changing my mid-tour leave to come home for the swap meet, but i'd like to know if there's going to be a celebration before i change any paperwork. thanks again don for putting it on last year.

#2 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

I think the celebration will be held in New Mexico next year with Bob Blackwell.

#3 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

that's the last i heard

#4 968crazy

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:57 PM

why not hershey every year? There is so much stuff to look at and buy all porsche owners should come there if they can every year!

#5 bob blackwell

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

Yes, the 968 Celebration for 2008 will be held in New Mexico toward the end of September. This will be in conjunction with the PCA Escape for 2008. We have a planning meeting scheduled for 3 October and there should be some more specifics after that. I am pushing hard to hold the event in Taos, which is in Northern New Mexico and is like Santa Fe used to be. My good friend and 968 enthusiast Chris Lennon will be participating in the planning of this event and he is well known for the quality of his Drive-Outs. More details soon, Bob Blackwell.

#6 RPM

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • City:Apex
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

I think the major event alternating locations each year is a good idea.

However, a less formal gathering and dedicated parking area is something we should try to do every year at Hershey.

Maybe I can even make it next year. Have not been since 2002.

#7 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

i don't know what all the hub bub is about hershey - i went last year, and found it dismally small, compared to some of the events here, even as a swap meet

i thought even the german autofest (here in ventura) was small, but compared to hershey, it is giant, which i suppose is why it is billed as "the largest porsche event in the country"

maybe last year was weird, but based on everybody's subjective descriptions, and comparing it to the german autofest, assuming hershey to be larger, i expected at least 200 booths, food vendors, major sponsorship, and at least 1000 cars - maybe it's just porsche apathy

bob - please do not hesitate to let me know how i can help - i will definitely be coming

#8 odb812

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:33 PM

september, hell, i'll be out of the army by then. that works, but new mexico is a hike. i already changed my midtour leave dates anyway, but i can still go up to hershey in the new 951 and get some goodies for that. good luck with that bob. maybe i'll make it out if school doesn't get in the way.

#9 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • City:Hershey
  • State:PA

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hello 968 fans,

Sorry for the long delay in communication since the 968 Celebration in April but there have been lots of family and health issues. Everything seems to be back on track now (well, Katrina - 2 - and Lance - 4 - will continue to live with us - any retirees on the forum that have grandkids living with them know that your life changes radically - lol! It seems funny to be looking forward to the kids going to school - we did this many years ago with our own 3 kids - oh well, we love them and will do anything for them). ;)

As Chris indicated, I fully support the 2008 Celebration being held in Albuquerque, New Mexico next September and am planning to attend - one way or another. We drove to Las Vegas from Hershey last November (our new Prius Hybrid) to attend a USAF Reunion and I remember passing thru Albuquerque and being quite impressed with the landscape. I recommend that all 968 owners attend this event hosted by Chris and Bob, who are both well qualified to host an event like this. It will be nice to be a participant again (Reston in 2005 and New Hope in 2006)! :P

For those that are planning to attend the Hershey Swap Meet on Saturday, April 26, 2008, drop me a line (dhassenbein@comcast.net) and I will see how many 968 owners are planning to come. If we have a sufficient amount (e.g. 25 plus) I will try to get a discount rate at the Holiday Inn in Grantville again for Friday night and arrange for private parking again at the Swap Meet. Not an official PCA 968 Register Celebration but depending on number of cars, we could caravan over to the Swap Meet, since everyone seems to enjoy doing it.

redbaron :D
PCA 968 Register Advocate

p.s. If you want to join the PCA 968 Register (we have about 225 members presently) check out our website at www.968register.org or let me know and I will send you an application. A valid PCA membership is the only thing required - no additional charges.

#10 RS Barn

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

I will be at Hershey as a participant / vendor if my health allows it.
Pete

#11 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • City:Hershey
  • State:PA

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

Pete,

Congratulations, you are the first taker for possible discount rate hotel room! :(

Anyone else, who is planning to drive their 968 to the Hershey Swap Meet in April? They have a new Sales Mgt at the Holiday Inn who just called and introduced herself but I will need to have a name list before the end of this year in order to get a shot at discount rates.

Don :D

#12 happysails2you

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

Put me on that list, Don, and count me in for Hershey next year. I had so much fun meeting everyone and would really enjoy getting as many of us together as possible again. (And I'll even do a tailgate party again this year!)

While I agree with Flash that the swap meet itself was disappointing, we still had a fun day hanging out together. I liked having our special parking area (right next to the judging area). It would be REALLY great if we could find a way to do a fun run that weekend too! Jay did a great job on the fun run we did in Bucks County the next day, and it wasn't too far from Hershey. Plus we can all converge on Pete's Barn! Or we could do the swap meet in the morning and a fun run in afternoon somewhere around Hershey.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,
Kathy

#13 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

hmmm - do i see another cross-country run coming?

#14 RPM

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • City:Apex
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:15 PM

Let me once again announce my intention to attend.

Unfortunately, as with both last year's Celebration and the Hershey Parade, this virtually guarantees that my job will send me somewhere at the last minute and I won't be able to attend.

#15 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

I'm IN!

It has been a very busy year, but I will definately find the time to see you all again.

Regards,

Jay

#16 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

this virtually guarantees that my job will send me somewhere at the last minute and I won't be able to attend.

I would say I'll be there but that virtually guarantees that my car will break. :(

#17 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:34 PM

Oh, all right...I'll be there. I never could resist getting close to chocolate.

#18 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

Count me in for Hershey...that's a no brainer. It was great to see so many 968s in one place and the same time. Does anyone know if that was the most?

I am, however, still trying to talk the wife into New Mexico!

- Darryl

#19 csc71

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

I'm in for Hershey!
Steve

#20 cosimo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • City:reston
  • State:va
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (2011)
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

I'm in also. Still considering New Mexico. Haven't missed a Celebration yet. Must keep the string alive. I think Don and I are the only ones from the original get together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.