30 replies to this topic

#1 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

Hi gang -

Looked at an aventurine green coupe here in California today with 36K miles. Condition in between good and excellent, no leather, 16" wheels, no LSD, coupe, 6 speed. Can someone tell me the Excellence numbers for this? I can't seem to find out which relatively recent issue has the 924/944/968 Market update in it. Was it March?

Thanks,
Mirror

#2 GuardsRedCoupe

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:39 AM

Well, I don't know what the Excellence value would be (didn't even know they published such a thing) but my off the cuff guess would be that you'd have to pay in the mid twenties for that mileage in that color.

#3 Clem

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:53 AM

Can't remember exactly - but the most recent update had excellent, 1995 coupes under 20k for the first time I believe.

#4 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

welcome welcome

california?? whereabouts are you?

on the excellence thing, it was a few months ago, but a quick search should turn it up - not sure if that car would fit in though - no leather? cloth seats then? what year?

#5 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

welcome welcome

california??  whereabouts are you?

on the excellence thing, it was a few months ago, but a quick search should turn it up - not sure if that car would fit in though - no leather?  cloth seats then?  what year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sacratomato. What year? Sorry...duh....1995. Cloth seats indeed. A couple of dings, the typical rear hatch seal (the interior one painted on) needs a re-do, no records but a local car from the Bay Area that was traded into a Porsche dealer for a new car and subsequently sold at auction. Book has stamps, so service history might be traceable to some extent. Pretty sure none of the "gonna fail" items have been replaced, such as motor mounts, steering rack, etc. Word is that the timing belt was done, but not sure if that included a new water pump when they were in there.
I looked on the excellence mag site but couldn't turn up which issue it might have been lately.

Cheers,
-Mirror

#6 Clem

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

For a 10yr old car with no records - the low mileage is meaningless.
I would not pay much for this car.
If you find a well maintained higher mileage example with complete records you will be much better off IMO.

#7 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:55 PM

search here - i think there was a thread here recently about that issue

if the price is right, nothing is out of whack, and you like the cosmetics, then go for it

records are only as good as the mechanic, and the honesty of the person who owned it, and while they tend to give you a better comfort zone than without, it isn't the end of the world

you can pretty much assume, that unless shocks, struts, etc have been recently changed, that you will need to do them, regardless of other records - mounts will be evident, as will the rack

don't sweat the pinion - russian roulette with that one - no point in worrying

get a PPI for sure

the cloth seats are incredibly rare

#8 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

search here - i think there was a thread here recently about that issue

if the price is right, nothing is out of whack, and you like the cosmetics, then go for it

records are only as good as the mechanic, and the honesty of the person who owned it, and while they tend to give you a better comfort zone than without, it isn't the end of the world

you can pretty much assume, that unless shocks, struts, etc have been recently changed, that you will need to do them, regardless of other records - mounts will be evident, as will the rack

don't sweat the pinion - russian roulette with that one - no point in worrying

get a PPI for sure

the cloth seats are incredibly rare

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Asking price is just shy of $23K.....

My initial long term view is that I would be paying top dollar for a car that I would have the privledge of replacing a ton of parts on in the next 5 years.

That low mileage is attractive though in regards to residuals.

Well see.....

cheers,
-Mirror

#9 Clem

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

In 5 years, this will be a 15 YO car. You will have spent a ton on maintenance and it will have depreciated by 1/2.

#10 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:31 PM

In 5 years, this will be a 15 YO car. You will have spent a ton on maintenance and it will have depreciated by 1/2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know, that's the problem I'm having. I just may not be the target audience for this vehicle. Hmmmmmmmm..........

#11 Clem

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:36 PM

I don't mean to sound surly, but them's the facts. It's a maintenance intensive car. That's why I think having records and seeing that the car has been properly cared for is much more important than mileage. There are very good examples out there and as long as you have your eyes open I think you'll find it's a very rewarding car to own/drive.

Good luck.

#12 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:02 PM

I don't mean to sound surly, but them's the facts. It's a maintenance intensive car. That's why I think having records and seeing that the car has been properly cared for is much more important than mileage. There are very good examples out there and as long as you have your eyes open I think you'll find it's a very rewarding car to own/drive.

Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah no, not surly at all. I've been studying a 944/968 purchase for over 10 years now and finally taking the plunge. Very much aware of what needs to be replaced over time, and I think my ideal car is exactly what you say. A higher mile example that has had the original maintenence stuff done already.

Cheers,
-M

#13 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

that is quite a high price - i would have expected no more than 19k

ups - low mileage, rare color - rare seats

downs - top end initial price - likely 3-4k expense in next 2 years - no options - 16" wheels - no LSD

it's really all about how much you like THAT car

#14 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

that is quite a high price - i would have expected no more than 19k

ups - low mileage, rare color - rare seats

downs - top end initial price - likely 3-4k expense in next 2 years - no options - 16" wheels - no LSD

it's really all about how much you like THAT car

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My take EXACTLY. The aventure green isn't my favorite color either.

I'm going to call and politely defer. It is really nice, drives well and is in very good shape, but I'm just not the target audience. They'll have no trouble selling it.

Cheers,
-Mirror

#15 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

is this your second 968 or first? other porsches?

feel like a road trip on the 1st?

see the paso robles thread in the events section

#16 Mark

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

There is a 29K mile coupe on ebay right now ith a buyitnow of 19K

#17 bob blackwell

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

The April issue of Excellence Magazine has the 924,944,968 Market Report every year. the most recent issue, April 2006, has the following values for a 1995 968 Coupe: Excellent - $19,438; Good - $14,520; Poor - $16,606. Good luck, Bob Blackwell.

#18 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

There is a 29K mile coupe on ebay right now ith a buyitnow of 19K

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome! Perfect!
Except, its Black!

Arrghh!!!

I've had 3 black cars and can't do another. Rats.

Thanks for pointing out ebay, I had forgotten that it can be a great place to buy cars.

Cheers,
Mirror

#19 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

The April issue of Excellence Magazine has the 924,944,968 Market Report every year.  the most recent issue, April 2006,  has the following values for a 1995 968 Coupe: Excellent - $19,438;  Good - $14,520; Poor - $16,606.  Good luck, Bob Blackwell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Bob, I should probably ditch down to Borders right now and get that issue.

Best,

-Mirror

#20 TheMirror

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

is this your second 968 or first?  other porsches?

feel like a road trip on the 1st?

see the paso robles thread in the events section

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Originally fell in love with 944s in the early nineties, then the S2, then 968s. Never owned one, a good buddy in the UK has a cherry German spec Club Sport.
I ain't gettin' any younger (37), and as I now have the wherewithall, its time to take the plunge.
I have researched these cars up and down for so long I feel like I own one already.

Love to make it down to Paso, but gettin' away on the weekends is tough these days. Rest assured, once I secure a good example I'll be doing all kinds of events.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.