17 replies to this topic

#1 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

In an effort to determine if there is indeed a serious interest in keeping the Forum alive some of us would like to see if individual(s) would like to keep this going. This means you would be willing to put money up to purchase a %. Specifics are unknown as we are gauging interest. Legal, tax and financial issues can be determined if there is a serious interest. I post this as someone who would be interested in doing this. Are you?

#2 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:52 PM

I forgot to say message Dan or I so we keep this civilized!

#3 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • City:Prescott
  • State:AZ
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:56 PM

I would be interested.

#4 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

I think for now contacting Bob ( RAP ) and I via PMs, or posting on this thread is fine, but I expect once the level of interest is determined and we all start assessing the feasibility and details of this undertaking , it might be easier to set up an email list / groupIng for the continuing communications ?

#5 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

Man you should be in charge!

#6 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

Nah, I'm too lazy. Always looking for the path of least resistance ...ergo, the email suggestion.

#7 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:01 AM

There's an email list now set up to discuss this off-line.  If you are interested in being added to the list, PM me your email address and I'll add you. But, please, only people really interested in exploring this and being part of the conversation, not the time or place for "looky-lous".

#8 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

Bob, interest means putting money up.

#9 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

Yes, agree. Should have been more clear.

#10 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

Do I need to sign up for this list partners?

#11 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

Nope, you are already targeted :D

#12 MCL968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • City:Reno
  • State:Nevada
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:37 PM

Sign me up (if I'm not already on the list).

#13 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

Ds and I have spoken and what we see as a major impediment is the need for a managing operator. This would include operating the site with all that this includes, selling ads for the site, taking care of filing of yearly taxes and what ever other operating issues there might be. There may be other needs we don't yet know about.
There still is the question regarding the financial piece. It is our opinion that a large group of small investors would be difficult to manage. We could sell small amounts of shares to accommodate this but they probably wouldn't allow for any voting rights because of the small percentage. If we could monetize the site successfully perhaps dividends or disbursements could happen.
The real value in the site is the info that has been accumulated. Perhaps the secondary value is in the social media aspect of the site. There is no financial value to this. Each has to determine what that value is to them. The traffic on the sit seems to show just a real handful of regulars who visit the site.
These are the primary issues that Ds and I have discussed. We have also had conversations with Bob and Jay. If anyone has any comments or thoughts they are welcome.

#14 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:17 PM

Since RAP-Bob, succinctly encapsulated all they key points of our discussion, there isn"t much I can add to the dialogue, other than to echo his post . Hopefully this can be worked out, IF a managing partner / operator rises up to the occasion of taking on that role. See AZ-Bob 's post re the email list .

#15 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:26 AM

selling the ads isn't all that tough.  a few phone calls and emails, and you are up and running.  there is a list of prospective advertisers already, and it wouldn't be that hard to garner more.

taxes are a snap.  it takes me less than an hour a year for that.  the contributions come in via paypal.  ads come in via check.  both go into the same bank account.  expenses come out of it.  pretty simple, if you have already set things up.

my suggestion regarding multiple participants is to set up a fixed number of shares (for the sake of argument, say 20).  then, have a "board of directors" of the major shareholders, and designate one of them the CEO, who would handle the day to day issues, even if by delegation.  the other directors would handle any other issues by vote.  how many votes anybody gets would be based on their percentage of ownership.  then, once a year, have a "meeting" of the shareholders and if there is anything to decide, put it out to a full vote.

this doesn't have to be that complicated guys.  i've been doing most of it myself since 2007, and running 3 other businesses at the same time, as well as remodeling the house 3 times, tending to the house, building my car, and taking care of the 3 huge dogs. 

#16 type968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • City:Boston
  • State:MA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

There's an email list now set up to discuss this off-line.  If you are interested in being added to the list, PM me your email address and I'll add you. But, please, only people really interested in exploring this and being part of the conversation, not the time or place for "looky-lous".

PM Sent with my email.

#17 Ab54666

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • City:London
  • State:UK
  • What model is your 968?:Sport (UK)
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Sport (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

Would be a shame to see the forum go, a lot of good info and history, but what actually is for sale? Website address and a zillion and 1 posts? I'd be happy to chip in but unless I missed it can't see the price?

#18 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

it is definitely not obvious what the benefits of ownership would be.  however, here are a few reasons:

it is the largest and most active 968 website in the world, and you like owning something special

you like meeting new friends, with common interests and diverse backgrounds

you own a business that you wanted to promote through the site

you are the industrious type, and are willing to sell advertising.  this is not as hard as it sounds, and conservative estimates are $10k per year

you like leading others, enjoy the 968 crowd, and want to put together events, and would use this as the vehicle for that

i have enjoyed all of the above, to varying degrees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.