• City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:01 AM

lol - sorry i was late to this.  i was busy cleaning up the coffee i spit out all over my keyboard when i saw that ad

#22 type968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • City:Boston
  • State:MA
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:43 AM

i'm very familiar with the special order process, as well as color to sample.  i used it quite a bit on my new targa gts.  i've just never seen that acronym before.  in 11 years of doing this, it's the first time.

the CS (club sport) was never sold here in the states, and frankly would be questionable as to having higher value, as it would be difficult to get it legalized here.

as for the amethyst metallic, i've seen a few, including a 94 cab with black crested seats.  i've even worked on that car.

attachicon.gif104_0459.JPG

Is that you working on the car Flash? :)

#23 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:01 AM

lol - funny stuff guys

back on topic

selling these cars is complicated at best.  we all tend to think better about our car than the market does.  we get attached to them, and consequently attach a cash value to that sentiment.  it was very hard for me to sell mine, knowing what i put into it, and how much time i spent with it.  intellectually i knew that i would never get back what i spent, and that nobody else was really going to value the car as i did, but still, when it came down to the reality, it was a tough pill to swallow.

similarly, the black car that is here now is worth more than the market will bear, and it will require the right buyer to appreciate it.  it's a great car, and very well set up, way better in almost every respect to stock, and has that uber rare full leather interior, but still, it's a tough translation to the buyer, when they keep looking at $12k cars.

#24 Ernie

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • City:Sewell
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 928 (1984)
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:28 AM

Flash, didn't the black car sell on e-bay? I was watching it and wishing I didn't already have a black cab! Anyway, like you said, we all value our cars for more than they are worth. That being said... there are people that make offers all the time. I think most of them are trying to guage the value of the car without researching them. JMHO

#25 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

yeah - buyer fell out.  i think he went and bought a 993 or something

#26 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

well, if he HAD to buy another Porsche, not much to argue about the 993 choice.. on top of it all, those things are going bonkers in market appreciation..  

#27 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

Well I am curious were all the cars are coming from that show up almost daily in the introduce yourself forum.

I have listed my car here twice, 90 days each pop and only ever had one person actually email me about it.

I would think that even though my price is towards the high end, If someone was really interested in owning one of these things, they would email and ask why I am charging what I am and what have I done to it.

My price may be a bit higher than many, but it basically breaks me out even on what I put into the car and I think the sub 50K mileage number is huge!

All I can think about when these folks show up to the forum with a $10K and under car is "DANGER! Sharp learning curve ahead."

The old commercial stands, "Pay me now, or pay me later." At $100 bucks an hour for a good mechanic, not to mention parts, it adds up fast!

I looked at a 944 last summer and knew immediately what I would take to get it road worthy again. At least $25K to do it right. (I put nearly $15K into mine!) Someone paid three grand for it and took it to my mechanic. He looked at it for 5 minutes and told the guy to sell it -lol. Once he told him 1/3rd of what it would need and cost, the car was on craigslist that night. I don't know if her ever sold it or not. It was basically a parts mobile.

#28 Kaj Hallstrom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • City:Novato
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

And that should be enough for this topic. Hope you get good money for your 968 up in Canada. I wish you well.

Next good topic would be " what is my 968 worth?" ...or "what makes my 968 special?"

.....one more last note. The picture of the lady cleaning the rim of a 968 raises some questions. Is this a true 94 or is it a 718 94. ( re-VIN'ed 93's) ?. The mystery lays in the top and the rim. The Magenta top was not available on the 94 model and the rim the 17" cup was standard on the true 94. So without the VIN number we are stuck, it could go either way.

Edited by Kaj Hallstrom, 07 April 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#29 tim944s

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • City:Okotoks
  • State:Canada

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

Thanks to all who commented. Car is now sold at my asking price. May have been available to fetch more if I brought this US car back to the US, however a Porsche mechanic bought it on the spot. A lot of rotten cars out there. I would say mine was a great example going to a good home.

#30 Kaj Hallstrom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

Just for the records. I just changed my insurance value to $21000.

1994 6-speed Cabriolet 64000 miles

Congratulations on your sale, and you got what you asked for..

Edited by Kaj Hallstrom, 05 May 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#31 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

I have mine at $25,000 which I consider to be minimal. The insurance company considers damage in excess or 80% of the value to be a total. It is very easy to get to $20,000 in damage, even in a very survivable crash.

Thinking of raising to $30,000

JMHO,

Jay

#32 Big Carl

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • City:Norwich
  • State:New York
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

I just set my policy at $25,000 for my '94 M030 with 70,000miles.

You guys have me thinking I should go higher...

I neglected to tell them about my Ruf Speedline rims which I'm thinking is a huge mistake, and I'll have to correct before driving season starts. (Still very salty roads in upstate NY)

#33 Kaj Hallstrom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

Well, maybe I have mine too low already. Might have to re-evaluate shortly. Recently we have seen a lot of reviews and articles about the water cooled original Porsche's. Excellence have one in current issue and more coming this year. The special exhibition in Stuttgart and the "Water-cooled Revolution" feature in Carmel CA this August will add to the promotion.

This beauty has been at sleep for too many years.....she is finally waking up and beginning to smell the roses.

#34 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Assigning an agreed amount insurance value on the 968 should be based on what you feel you would need to spend ( if your car might be totaled ) on buying another one , and then bringing everything to at least the same level of mechanical and exterior / interior condition in which yours is currently. Or, how much money you would need to buy a different make and model car which is closely comparable to the 968. A number of years ago I had estimated that cost to be about $ 50 K and that's the amount I insured it for. I'm going to raise that to $ 75 K , just because there is not a single car out there of which I can think that matches the 968 which can be bought for less than $ 75 K . The premium difference between $ 50 k and $ 75 K is negligible . Of course, if the market for these cars goes wild, and they start selling for a lot more, then insure them according to that guideline.

#35 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • City:Prescott
  • State:AZ
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

Good advice, I'm thinking the $18k on mine is too low, esp after I recently added the D1R short shift kit.....

No seriously, maybe we are seeing the start of a promising value curve for the better examples of these cars. I know how much has gone,and is now going, into mine to make it better, and still more "I'd like to add" on the list. And there aren't many better looking cars out there in this price range.

#36 Kaj Hallstrom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche 968. You might find a cheap one that ends up costing you "big time" in repairs. It's a common mistake made by people who wants to own a Porsche but really can't afford the aftermath of repair expenses. Any Porsche is a high maintenance machine. As the market is right now for 968's, we are on the right track, however as we get 3 steps forward (value)we always managed to fall 2 steps back (repairs). My focus is to stay on that one step a head. I know some of you guys out there laughed when I told you that this was part of my retirement investment (yes, even my wife thinks I am crazy)......but I still have faith in the good old 968 and so far so good.

#37 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

lol - well, as long as you plan to retire to a cardboard box, i guess that's ok.  even if the 968 booms like the 993 (which it almost certainly will not), after factoring in the comparative initial prices, it still won't get near $100k on its best day.  after factoring in purchase, maintenance, insurance, fuel, and all other operating expenses that you will have to pay for over the 20 years it will take for the car to appreciate, it's not a great investment plan.  probably have enough enough to buy a vacation though.

as for stated insurance values, anything below $25k is a waste of money.  you have to consider the time it would take to replace the car, and not just the costs.  also, you need to factor in repairs that will most likely be needed.  also, you should consider the stated value policy as a supplement, not a replacement.  they generally have prohibitive restrictions that limit claims.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.