Need your thoughts on a potential buy......

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

#21 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

it is a bit high in today's market, but not too far, if it is truly well maintained (which means belts are changed every 3 years, etc) depending on just how bad the paint is.  i would expect that car to go for between $13kCAN and $14kCAN

#22 tominizer

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • City:Toronto
  • State:Canada
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:10 AM

Yeah.  I think the guy is high as well although in looking around through Ad Huntr, I really am not sure it's as low as you say.  I really like the car but can't see any time soon him dropping that price $7-8K down to $13-14K CAN dollars either.  It's unfortunate. I think the car is a $15-$17K CAN car ($11.5 to $13K USD).

Owner also just did the CV joints, power steering rack and brakes front and rear.  The owner takes very good care of his cars from what I saw and from talking to him.  But it would still need to have a PPI to be sure.

Edited by tominizer, 25 April 2016 - 05:25 AM.

#23 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • City:Prescott
  • State:AZ
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:33 AM

There is a PPI on this site that you can use. Search will lead you there.

Good luck with your hunt for the right car.

#24 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

when i said not too far, i made a mistake when converting canadian to us dollars.  my bad.  $20k canadian is way too high.  i was thinking it was $16k canadian.

bad repaints can be costly to fix, and can really annoy you over time

high mileage cars (118k is pretty darned high) can start to cost money.  things like variocam, valve job, head gasket, suspension bushing, clutch, will almost certainly all need to be done if they haven't been

75k is pretty much the tipping point on these.  cars below that point are worth on average $5k more than cars over that point.  i know it should be a graduated slide, but history shows that it isn't

other than a couple of really well sorted cars, i cannot remember the last time i saw a 100k plus car go for more than $14kUSD

i think my estimate of value of that car is right though at 13-14k canadian

also, realize that unless the list of things above is handled, you can expect to spend a fair amount of dough in the first 2 years, as you sort things out.  keep that in mind when setting your budget.

take your time shopping for the car.  it will be worth it in the end.

#25 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

+ 1 on Flash's comments

#26 tominizer

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

Guys, 

I keep coming back to this car I first posted.  I haven't seen anything near the pricing you are talking about (in April/May 2016) anywhere in North America for a worn 1995 Cab with 62,000 miles.  There are three similar cars available in Canada right now with the same mileage except in really good shape and they are all asking between $30k-$40K Canadian.  This "lipstick pig" I should be able to acquire for $16,500 Canadian I think which is around $12,750 USD.  Even at $18K Canadian, that leaves a possible $10K on the table for repairs before it may start getting beyond it's value up here.

Any chance these cars have turned the corner over the winter and are fetching more money now then you think !??!!?

#27 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

it is very common for people to "ask" for big numbers.  there is a fair amount of press right now claiming that values are going up, that they are becoming more collectible, and all that.  many people read that stuff, and think they can get big numbers for their car.  the reality is that maybe that will be true.  maybe it won't.  the actual sales prices are not bearing that out just yet.

#28 tominizer

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

I stopped in to see this car again tonight. I "feel" a real connection to the car this time. It's more so after driving the red coupe recently. I know one shouldn't be buying cars based on feelings, but hey, I'm a guy and it's a sexy car!!!

Just put in a conditional offer on it for $15,000 Canadian. Conditional on inspection. So we'll see what happens. The guy didn't seem to offended by the offer and seems to think he may be able to pull it off. Apparently would be a steal he says......... sure. Whatever you say buddy. Just make it happen. :)

Edited by tominizer, 06 May 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#29 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

This form could save you thousands of $$$...

You're welcome,

Jay

Attached Files

Edited by 94SilverCab, 06 May 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#30 Kaj Hallstrom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • City:Novato
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

After looking for, and driving potential 968's for sale in three years, I finally found one last year that I "felt" for. Just don't let your emotions get in the way of your mechanical heart. Unfortunately there are many mediocre ones out there and just a few with "happy" owners who cared. Those are the one you focus on.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. They either start cheap and end up expensive, or they start expensive and still end up expensive.

The PPI form is great to bring with you in the hunt........Good Luck in your hunt!!!

#31 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:32 AM

Patience. Feeling a connection with the car is an easy way to overpay!

#32 tominizer

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for that form!!

I'm coming from an 1989 e30 M3 restoration. Money pits are no stranger to me. Ever priced out factory BMW Motorsport e30 m3 headers... oh and I bought one of the very last black e30 M3 carpets in stock from the factory in Germany and had it shipped here to Canada. Yeah, emotional stuff. I suffer from the disease.....

But I have two buddies that are fantastic mechanics. They put me straight. One is an ex-Porsche mech who keeps reminding me NOT to buy any Porsche, but if I have to get it out of my system, go ahead. He needs money for a new cottage. LOL!!

#33 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

IMO , the " there's no such thing as a cheap Porsche " statement is true mostly by reason of Porsches breaking down a lot quicker and a lot more frequently than other cars such as BMWs, MBZs, etc. ( Ferraris excluded , LOL ) But the replacement parts you buy for. Porsche are really not necessarily expensive than the same part for a BMW, or and MBZ, or even parts for makers which one would think should be a lot cheaper than Porsche , like Nissan , Lexus , Audi , Jeep , and so on . Porsche however does have a tendency to charge absurdly higher prices for some trim components like sunvisors , weatherstripping and such., but try pricing a MAF, or an alternator, or motor mounts , or other key parts for any of the above mentioned car makers and compare it to its Porsche counterpart ; I think you'll find them to be rather close in cost . However, as I said , and at least in my experience and my mechanic's 30 years in the business of repairing Porsches , BMWs , MBZs and Audis experience tne breakdown factor of Porsches is 3 X - 5 X more frequent than the other brands. I won't even bring up Japanese cars .. So like everyone else here advised : be prepared to spend a good chunk of money on bringing the car up to standard and then more money maintaining it . Not cheap !

Edited by ds968, 07 May 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#34 tominizer

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

My buddy who owns a body shop came with me and within seconds said "no" and pulled me out. So, that's the end of that. Car is a body shop disaster

Edited by tominizer, 07 May 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#35 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

Wow, good friend to have!  Keep looking, good ones are out there.  Print the PPI Jay posted and use that to help check out the next one.

#36 wildcat

968 Forums Enthusiast

• On a Time Out
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • City:San Diego
  • State:California
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

A few additional points; and there are a few;  the fuse box - pull the relays and fuses for fit, in mine one of the connectors was loose and it was a pain to fix it,  the switches on the seats ($100 a switch), and if its got cruise control check it out thoroughly... the bolt mount for the generator can shear easily if not adjusted properly, that's a pain to replace, the vacuum lines which requires taking off the vanity covers..  And find out whatever you can about regularly scheduled maintenance like when the cam belt was replaced, and if any additional pulleys etc were done as well. The radiator fans, vibration indicates a problem with the bearings... and check that both low and high speed work at the proper temperature, the more you know as the saying goes and each point is a potential bargaining position. Happy Hunting!

#37 Kaj Hallstrom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • City:Novato
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Check if timing belt has been changed twice. All belts incl. water pump, rollers should have been done around 90000 miles (for the second time). What maintenance did they do?

A super paint job is always expensive. Good price reduction argument!!....Since the miles are so high you would want to be extra careful....Transmission check!!

If it checks out make an offer...take off at least $3000 for the paint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.