24 replies to this topic

#1 dfowkes

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Looking at this car http://www.autotrade...ar_id=352938793
seller is a little difficult getting info from. I've been missing my 968 since I had to part with it after my divorce 2 years ago. Any help in finding a replacement for me would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer a 6 spd coupe other than guards red. Thank you

#2 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

wish I could help but you need to get the vin# to learn the things the car came with. There is a red 968 for sale under cars for sale in this forum.

#3 dfowkes

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

WPOAA296XNS820456

#4 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

The "lowest miles" is a bit of hyperbole, and the price is high (unless it is truly perfect). You need to find out what the recent services were and when they were done. The car looks pretty nice. Find out condition of the seats, none of the pics showed the bolsters.

Jay

#5 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Probably not "all required maintenance" has been done, but hopefully the big stuff. It says RS Barn did at least some of the recent work, perhaps they could help you get an idea of the maintenance level for the vehicle?

#6 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

well, it only says he got the cat-back and chip from there, and since they have been closed for about 2 years, that would put maintenance back a bit.

i'd be looking for a recent belt change and hydraulic flush, as well as the aforementioned interior shots. it's also a 92, which means looking into the AC.

still, could be a great car.

#7 dfowkes

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Below is the owners response to my questions.
"Answers if this is on 968: timing belt changed at 30k miles. Has 56 on it now. Had it inspected when I bought it a year ago and it was fine it was a one owner. No problems with the DME relay ( that was more of a 944 problem). I have had starter replaced and AC charged (it uses new refrigerant). Have 16 inch original wheels but it has 18's on it now. It comes with either set but not both. Replaced exhaust with an RS barn but have old one and it works fine. Everything works great. Updates stereo with a boxster unit and all speakers were replaced if aged. Looks original but added a subwoofer built into fenders (all original looking and stealth). Garages always with cover and never seen snow or rain."

Thanks again for the help from the forum. If you see anything out there please let me know. If the car is right no distance is too far.

#8 JTP

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • City:Baltimore
  • State:MD
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

That is a beautiful color. Looks really clean too.

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

it's not about mileage on the belts as much as it is time. 3 years is the mark. regardless of how few miles on them, if they are more than 3 years old, they need replacing. i'd find out the date when they were done.

re: AC - you can't just change to r-134 from r-12 by merely charging it with r-134. if they didn't change he seals in the system, charging with 134 won't hold. the conversion is usually about $1000. i'd make sure they did that right.

being a dark color, i'd look carefully at the paint, as they said it was always covered. that often means a lot of tiny scratches, which would really show on a dark color.

#10 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

I always chuckle when I see no rain or snow. I wish that I could live in that perfect of a world!

#11 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Sorry, but I bought a "low mileage" car - 44,001 - car sat for five years. Have done everything right to get it back on the road and have easily come near the 12K mark in addition to the purchase price. You will put more into it than you think you will so budget accordingly! Assume nothing has been done and everything needs to be. I got hit with the dreaded pinion bearing so that was 3K, but even if you take that out of the equation, it will be a lot to do..

PM me if you want a list of what I just did to my '94 Cab and I will be happy to share. My car is near perfect, but it took a lot to get everything up to snuff. Next week is throttle and cruise control cables. Also the rubber gaskets behind the door handles as well as cabin air filters.

If the car has been sitting, once you start driving it, and there is once again heat under the hood, all the little plastic bits and pieces that have dried out start cracking and breaking off. There is a pre purchase inspection sheet in the forums - download it and read it...lots of great info on what to look out for.

But since you have had one, I assume you know all this nonsense...lol

#12 rl968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • City:Allentown
  • State:NJ

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

I always am wary of ads that start off talking about the stereo. That car is way overpriced unless the seller can show a lot of work has been done and at 60k, just about anything could need to be done...and likely will.

#13 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

I always am wary of ads that start off talking about the stereo.

Me too!

#14 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

I dunno, for someone who has purchased two 968's that both have non working stereos, I find it kinda refreshing!

#15 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

My stereo works, but the amps don't so I only have the two rear speakers, but we digress.

#16 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

i find it interesting that no matter what car is up for sale, if the price is anywhere on the high side, it seems the tendency is to dogpile on it. the seller mentioned the stereo because it is better than stock. he did the same thing with the wheels and exhaust and chip. it's a selling point. a lack of information does not necessarily translate to somebody hiding something either. it may be a strategy to get more people to call him up.

#17 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Dogpile - lol

#18 JTP

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • City:Baltimore
  • State:MD

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

When I bought my 94 coupe I thought I paid on the high side but it is the cleanest 968 I have seen to date and after replacing belts/rollers/tensioners/pump and some other bits I'm still under 18,000 total with purchase price. Everyone says expect to be around 20,000 after buying and getting the car sorted. If the car the OP is looking at is well sorted and owned by an enthusiast itight be a good deal for 19,000.

#19 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

It's a good deal if the buyer wants to buy it. If the buyer doesn't want to buy it, then it's not a good deal. I got a good deal on my red one. Yet most of you would have looked at it and said hmm, not a good deal. Again it's what the individual perceives and what his expectations are. Mind you, I had people more knowledgeable than myself listen to me describe the car and ask questions about it. A PPI was done.
While the advice here to the new folks coming on board is fantastic and point on, I sometimes wonder if in our zeal to inform and pass on our experiences and technical knowledge we don't scare potential 968 owners off.

#20 rl968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • City:Allentown
  • State:NJ

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

In my experience, being harsh or just honest on a for sale ad should be a service we provide here. There is a lot of wisdom and experience on the board. I wish I new of this board before I bought my car. I now know a lot of things about the car, and that ad says to me to be very careful. Says all required maintenance done...does that mean oil change? Or does it mean timing belt? It's a lazy ad for such a high price. How much life is on the brakes and tires, do you have all receipts, what maintenance exactly has been done, etc. a 20 year old car with 57k has only been driven an average of about 2850 miles per year, that's not much and suggests its sat a lot, not good. I'd be worried about the pinion bearing, clutch, compressor and alternator for starters.

Btw: new stereo to me is the same as saying its very shiny. That said, my stereo works, but speakers are pretty shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.