• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,544 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

I don't know if this is feasible or not, but is there any possibility of having an "off-topic" button, possibly within the "More Reply Options" menu, that members could select before going off-topic within a given thread? Ideally, posts within this off-topic sub-category would be hidden when doing a search. I'm not a software guy, so I have no idea how much coding would be involved to make something like this happen, but it seems like it would go a long way toward striking a balance between useful information sharing and retention, and the enjoyabe social aspects of this site.

My impression is that most "off-topic" discussions aren't 100% off topic. I know in my own case, I often see something within a post of a particular thread that reminds me of another problem I'm having, so I usually say something like, "Sorry for taking this off-topic, but so-and-so's comment in thread #27 about the shear strength of the bolt that holds the rear shocks to the chassis reminds me of a concern I'm having about the rusty threads of my water pump studs, and was wondering if...".

#22 bombfactory

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • City:Huntington Beach
  • State:CA
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

To those who may take offense by Flash's characterizations of their posts as 'vomiting on the page', please remember this is Flash we're dealing with here, a self-confessed insensitive elitist snob and part-time arrogant SOB not inclined to use delicate language to get a point across (Don't change, Flash. You know we all love you man!). This isn't the third reich coming down on us here and no one is taking their ball and going home. We are all very very fortunate this forum exists - I honestly don't know how I would manage my car without it - so let's take a deep breath and keep the best interests of all of us, and the site, in mind when posting. No worries!

#23 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

again, we are only talking about a few threads here. in no case was it ever a situation of editing or censoring anyone's opinion. no infringement of free speech was ever even close to happening. what happened were entire blocks of off topic conversation were removed. they were inane irrelevant conversations that had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic, and detracted from the point of the thread. no individual was singled out. no opinion was withheld or curtailed.

we encourage the expression of anyone ON THE TOPIC AT HAND. we discourage diverting that topic, and request that you instead start a new thread in the appropriate area.

what's the big deal?

as for on "off topic" button, not with this software. perhaps in another software package, but we are not yet ready to make that change.

#24 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • State:Florida
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I understand Flash's intent and will do my best to comply, however if things get too serious, I think it becomes too technical and rigid that takes away something I think many enjoy. I know I do.

I hope it all works out.

#25 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

I understand Flash's intent and will do my best to comply, however if things get too serious, I think it becomes too technical and rigid that takes away something I think many enjoy. I know I do.

I hope it all works out.

It will work out...you should have been around in the old .net days...made the wild west look like P#$$ies...

Jay

#26 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Thinking ahead five years from now with focus on the new (and/or the existing) members searching for a technical answer and running into too much "vomit" is very considerate, but if one reads all the recent technical threads you can't help but think these cars are rapidly falling apart, the NLA parts will be the norm, and the cost to maintain them is so prohibitive that the 2018 forum technical library will be of little relevance; by then not one single 968 might be left to grace the roads of our fine planet. :whine: DS prediction : the forum outlives our cars and serves as a social media site for this fine group, with the technical section merely there for nostalgia reasons. :icon_lol1:

#27 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Funny. Actually I am here because my request to join at .net was never accepted. I eventually sent them an email describing why I was withdrawing my request and it too was never acknowledged.

I understand the compromise that needs to come about. I do enjoy the silliness that ensues here though. There is more than enough to go around and hope that things don't get too stiff around here. We can't afford to take ourselves too seriously.

If we can't have fun with something we enjoy, what's the point.

Ciao!

Well DS, your car might not be around, but I take care of my stuff - lol and mine will be...

A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better vanished time
I fire up the willing engine
Responding with a roar
Tires spitting gravel
I commit my weekly crime

Lol

#28 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • City:No longer a Member
  • State:No Longer a Member
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

As quoted above, if the aim is to have a purely technical library, change the name of the site and only allow "How to" or "Repair of" posts. If this is a Forum, observe the rules as stated, or change them.

You quote rising membership, but if we cannot remove our membership, how do you really know if there are people using the Forum, or they have left in disgust.

If new "members" cannot post a message to ask a question, why are we responding to emails? A Forum exists to promote discussion and talk. If there is no talk and only trawling through old posts, then it is a library. If there is no social interaction, then I don't need to be a member, or like many others, I will simply go away. Is it better to just switch off or actually express a differing point of view.

As for the logic that you wouldn't change a conversation face to face, this is ridiculous if you are in a group talking, the conversation flows into directions you would have never thought of (particularly if there is alcohol).

I find the double standards applied appalling. In a post about a pulley failing we get moderated and censored like Nazi Germany, but in another post (my 928 Supercharger experiences) there is 8 pages of social banter without any moderation at all. Consistency I can understand, hypocrisy I despise and will not idly sit by and watch it happen.

#29 Lear35A

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • City:Covington
  • State:GA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

This Advocate believes this off topic warning and the unilateral removal of non offensive posts was unnecessary. In the forum world when posts go off topic the thread quickly dies of its own weight. No harm done. I don't see how these hurt the ability to search for technical points in any way. If it's just a few threads as Flash has said above, then don't worry about it.

This is a type A and very individualistic group. We don't like others controlling us especially if we don't see the point. That's just a fact that needs to be accepted. Makes no sense to drive this type away for the sake of a few frivolous (hardly vomit) posts.

If someone starts intentionally hijacking threads just to cause trouble then deal privately with that member. Throw him out if necessary. But to me the "solution" that has been instituted is much worse than the problem it is supposed to solve.

All in MHO of course.

#30 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

If the majority of the members of the forum are "lurkers" who never contribute, and worse who just want to come in and make an easy search and pick off our hard work, then I say let them at least have to look through some vomit. ;) That way I won't feel so bad about my busted knuckles, the grease I got on my camera from taking pictures, and all the time spent uploading and trying to actually be helpful to others.

#31 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Not to stir the pot, but on other sites there is a way to delete your profile if the member wishes to leave. I have looked and found no such device here. Should there be one?

As far as the thread hijacking goes - Is this an issue that could be dealt with using the warn system bars that are under our profile. I am not sure I wouldn't get defensive if I got warned for something I felt was small, but I suppose it is method of dealing with such things letting the individual set the response to their own offenses.

If the majority of the members of the forum are "lurkers" who never contribute, and worse who just want to come in and make an easy search and pick off our hard work, then I say let them at least have to look through some vomit. ;) That way I won't feel so bad about my busted knuckles, the grease I got on my camera from taking pictures, and all the time spent uploading and trying to actually be helpful to others.

I don't disagree with Tama. I know being new and not really wrenching on my own car I can't add much here, but at least I did put some cash in the "kitty"

#32 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

while i would love to be that petty, the reality is that most members just watch. the purpose of this site is to provide information for owners and enthusiasts. it is not to be a chat room. while we would wish that everybody would join in, it just isn't going to happen.

as for any perceived double standard or hypocrisy, i suppose i could go in and clean out the 100,000 or so threads. so far, i have only had to do it to a few. i'd like to keep it that way.

#33 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • City:No longer a Member
  • State:No Longer a Member
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Flash,

Given the responses, at what point do you admit you are wrong? Or are you going to take you bat and ball and go home?

Good luck with a forum of one!

#34 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Flash,

I think everyone needs to calm down. I am trying to be supportive to everyone, but reading your last post, replying to Craig - what I took away from it is, "This is my site. I own it and it's my way or the highway" I hope that is not the case.

I appreciate your knowledge, and your expertise. I also appreciate your dry and quick wit. I am sure many do or they would not have paid you hundreds and thousands for your products at D1R and also contributions to this site, bit I think your reaction to this today is a bit heavy handed. Just my opinion.

I enjoy hanging out here, but if it is just going to be an encyclopedia, then I will only check in when I have a problem.

I think if someone wants their personal info removed, you should find a way to do it. I am sure they would appreciate it. They may come back, they may not.
Then I think everyone needs to take a step back and let a day or so go by and see how everyone feels.

Maybe one of your famous polls - Let the people decide which way the site should go.

My last comment on the issue.
Good luck and thanks,

Ed

#35 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

i am not interested in a poll. i know which way i want the site to go. i always have. there are plenty of social sites out there. this isn't going to be one of them. come, stay, leave. it's up to the individual.

what i do know though is that i will not tolerate unruly behavior. you don't get to come into my house and piss on the floor and kick my dog.

i am perfectly happy to shut the site down. it takes up way too much of my time anyway. i am way too old to have a bunch of kids i have to monitor. that being said, i really don't care. the site can continue or not. it makes no difference to me. i am perfectly happy to have it be a "read only" site.

until recently there was no problem, and everybody largely took care of things on their own. 3 or 4 threads had their off topic junk removed. i am frankly quite surprised at the response.

#36 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Point taken - thank you.
Funny at 48 I hadn't considered myself a kid - lol

Edited by Inkedupfatboy, 12 September 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#37 Paul W

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • City:Chicago
  • State:IL
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have to laugh at this thread. Recently I posted pictures and technical items about fuel smells in the cabin, which is a very common problem with these cars, but nobody has seemed to figured out the common failure mode as of yet based on my search of this forum and "other" unmentionable forums on the internet.

Then I post technical troubleshooting ideas with pictures, and then people start talking about taco bell. I don't care that they are there, but if you want a technical library and not off topic posts, shouldn't you remove those posts also?

Who cares? There should be a technical FAQ section IMO. There shouldn't be so many sub forums so you get moderated when you post in the wrong place and it gets moved.

The software, by design, by having every post go back to the top, causes off topic discussions to happen and get embedded in posts.

I'm a newbie here, but I can tell you, that I have a lot to contribute, including documenting things with pictures, which most people do not do here. In the end, when I find a problem, I would most likely make a new thread to capture it in one place. However, I don't know if I would actually spend the time to do that if it's going to get moderated or discussions like this one happen. It's just not worth the effort, I'll keep the solution to myself or maybe post it on my own webpage, or another forum.

#38 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

i did not see the "taco bell" stuff. i'll go look at that. some off topic stuff is hard to manage. if there is relevant stuff in that same post, the entire post stays. the 3 or 4 threads i worked on had entire conversations that were off topic. no individual post was altered. it was pretty cut and dried.

"back to the top"? i don't understand. please explain. each new post goes to the end of that thread.

again, nothing relevant was removed. we don't do that.

#39 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

It was my joke. Due to gas smell in the car, I suggested not eating the burritos at taco bell. It thought it was funny and innocuous. I guess not all the jokes hit the mark or are appreciated.

#40 Eric_Oz_S2

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • City:Gone from this forum
  • State:Forever

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

i am not interested in a poll. i know which way i want the site to go. i always have. there are plenty of social sites out there. this isn't going to be one of them.

That kind of sums it all up then doesn't it? The 968forum community's opinion doesn't matter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.