• State:Florida
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

??
Did I say something wrong (cough Volvo) Cough....

#23 AJG

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • City:ABERDEEN
  • State:SCOTLAND
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • What model is your 968?:Sport (UK)

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

No its not that, what I meant was that behind all our collective enthusing about the car there can be a lot of tears and frustration, especially for guys who couldn't get their hands on a Slate Grey metallic colour car!

#24 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

No its not that, what I meant was that behind all our collective enthusing about the car there can be a lot of tears and frustration, especially for guys who couldn't get their hands on a Slate Grey metallic colour car!

Hey , HEEEY ! That touched a nerve...I left a forums calling card earlier this year on a stunning, mint condition, low mileage (in the 40s, IIRC) metallic slate grey parked at a condo complex no more than five minutes walk from my house and a note offerig to buy it at a " generous premium " over market value if they'd ever be interested in selling it. But it was there only for a few days, and never saw it again . Probably just a guest of of someone who lives in one of those condos. SIGH..
Maybe when the fog dissipates, it'll reappear, kind'a like Brigadoon. :-) :-).

Edited by ds968, 10 August 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#25 AJG

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

Honestly, you can't believe just how good that colour is, who was it that had their car re sprayed in 2012 or 2011 it was gorgeous. What you need to do is import a Sport in that colour. Now that would be something different in the States, of course its right hand drive but that would just add to the cache. I doubt there were any Club Sports in that colour as it is not in your face enough.

#26 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • City:Mims
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

Hi Yo (Polar) Silver!!!!! Away!!!!

#27 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

Having seen our cars in various colors ( " coloUrs " for you guys on the other side of the pond ) I can say that with possibly very few exceptions all of them work well with the body style of the 968 ( proof of just how classic and timeless this car's lines are ) And although like everyone else I have my personal preferences, my impression about slate grey is this: even much more so than black I think it's a color that makes the 968 appear to be bigger , beefer , more menacing or intimidating or aggressive. And still retains a very elegant appearance to it. Not sure what it is , but makes it look as it has a V8 in it.

#28 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

it is odd how some colors make the car look very different though, and even between cab and hardtop. for example, while i don't like the color, rivvi blue looks better on a hardtop than on a cab. so does red (which really bummed me out when i first saw it in person).

#29 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Everyone here knows that, fundamentally, I'm not a fan of the cab but will freely admit that 1) it has a sleeker, less dated look than the coupe, and 2) most colors look better on the cab than they do on the coupe. Perhaps it's because 1 has a significant impact on 2 .

#30 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Cabs rule that's why...lol

I have never been a silver car fan..I bought the car' cause the price was right and I figured I may never get another crack at a reasonable Porsche....that being said, the color combo (Silver/Red) is growing on me..Maybe it is because I can actually drive the car after being in and out of various shop episodes and sitting in between for the last four months.. - lol

#31 Ian A McLaren

968 Forums Rookie

• Rookie
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • City:Calgary
  • State:Canada
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Ok kind of a change in plans , wife would prefer an automatic , found one 400 yards from the first one (and you guys say the're rare :) go figure . Any way it has half the mileage and is $2500.00 cheaper, but (always a but) the tops in fairly good condition but does have a tear in it and it needs a windshield , the interior is in very good shape as is the dashpad , all the belts are less than 10,000 kms old and about 4 years , brake pads and rotors done at the same time , as was the A/C . What are the costs involved with the top and windshield . At 30 MPH there is a noticable vibration the the steering I guessing tire balance it goes away at any other speed and it doesn't have the feel of a separated tire It's a couple of shades of yellow but no signs of major impact (I own a body shop so the paint is a non issue) The only major possible stumbling block is that the car was imported from Japan in 2008 by a local dealer , and has been registered here ever since . My main question is, is it the same car, parts wise as what would have been purchased in North America or could there be issues getting important bits. This looks like a good solid used vehicle am I am going to make him an offer tomorrow unless there is something I shoud steer clear of due to its place of origin. Thanks for all of your help so far and I'm sure this is the car for us

#32 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

I did, balance belts, timing belt, dme relay, h2o pump, flush all fluids and some other maintenance and it was $2900 plus tires to get it running after sitting 5 years...At four years old, I would suspect it is time to change everything...
From what I have read here, the windshield will set you back about $600 bucks or so plus install and they can not be done by mobile unit...I don't know if tops are still available, you would have to have yours re-covered and that could be prohibitively expensive...

I think you will spend more than you are saving to "swap cars" to the tip.
I hope some of the other guys will chime in here as my experience is only the last 4 months of getting my car up and running after sitting 5 years...total tab so far, $10K and counting....

You may want to spend the bucks on a PPI by some one you trust...there is a link to one here on the forums...

Edited by Inkedupfatboy, 11 August 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#33 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

belts are still due. it's a function of time as much as mileage. 3 years is the new accepted "norm". 4 is the max.

if they imported it correctly, then it should be federalized, and have the same parts as a US car (emissions, tail lights, speedo in mph, etc).

vibration is likely balance (or old tires), but look carefully at the caster blocks.

#34 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

When you buy the belts ask the dealer to give you the ones with the most recent production date on them and check the year ( they're all coded - at least Gates belts are ). Gates recommends a max. shelf life of 6 years but there is nothing that compels dealers to observe that rule so you could end with a new belt that's a lot of years older than the 4 year old one in your car. Not saying that the one in the car will be better than a new one because mileage does take a much bigger toll on it than years do but still.. I would not take my chances buying a "new" belt that maybe sat on some dealer's shelf for a decade or even longer..

#35 Inkedupfatboy

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

Same thing with new tires...check date codes and get recent ones...My neighbor taught me that with his RV...the tires age out way faster than the wear out. Get four tires with similar manufacturing dates...

#36 AJG

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

If its been for sale for a while go in with a low bid, have dollars ready, he might bite your hand off! And by the way DS968 its my language so spelling colours to me is not necessary, you should work on your pronunciation of aluminium and titanium etc. It will help in getting to know English a bit more! Ha Ha.

#37 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

True, not to mention schedule, garage, jaguar, tomato , and sooo many others. But having said that, Americans ( whatever that means ) kicked your arses out of this country so we can butcher your language as much as we please. So take that ! , LOL

#38 AJG

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

And you do!

#39 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Don't even get near JAGUAR, that's a whole days argument with Jeremy C. I still haven't forgiven the south for what they did to Aluminium, they just call it "Tin Foil" now - there is NO Tin either! :lol:
Ian - yea, belts need doing anyway and time for a full PPI. My mechanic worked at the P dealer in Calgary for 20 years before retiring just south of me so if you need a mechanic recommendation in that area let me know.

PS If your looking at a tip then ask about the "hard to get" (read $$$) rubber doughnut in the trans linkage and whether it has been replaced.

Edited by DaveN, 12 August 2013 - 09:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.