• State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Hello Gents,

I am most likely moving to switzerland in the near future which puts me in a bit of a dilemma. I would import my car and switch what I need and what not but I cant help but realize that there are Club Sports all over Europe that would be much more appealing mainly for the rolly windows, lack of sound deadening and lack of moonroof. All of those things would be a real hassle to change on a u.s model. So I did some searching and not surprisingly the Germans love their lightweight porsches and the price supports this (couldnt really find one for under 20,000 euros) But I searched in England and found several clubsports between the prices of 10 and 15 thousand pounds which is about 15-23k us. That seems like a deal and personally I think iit would be entertaining to drive a right hand drive car. Does anyone know why these would be less expensive in England? Here is a link to a few cars there is a black one with no decals and 105k miles that I am looking at with a cocked eyebrow and a smile on my face. Let me know your thoughts and opinions and hopefully a few people can throw in some knowledge if possible! Thanks for your time! - Max

http://www.porsche96...rs-for-sale.htm

http://www.pistonhea...e=968 clubsport

#2 judge

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • City:Port Fairy
  • State:Australia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hmmmm....The only things i can think of to explain the apparently lower UK prices would be..

1. The 968 is a very under appreciated car in the UK so smaller market.
2. A more aggressive use of salt on the roads in the UK in winter may lead to a higher risk of tin-worm, even though the steel is galvanised.
3. Simply a smaller native market for "boutique" RHD cars. UK, Australia/New Zealand, and Hong Kong are the only markets of any size for higher end/price vehicles, so again simple market forces.

A RHD car in Europe may not be as much fun as you think though,. Of course it's do-able, but as a cost-benefit equation you might want to try before you commit.

#3 craigawoodman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • City:No longer a Member
  • State:No Longer a Member
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

UK cars definately have issues with rust. It is not just the body, but everything underneath the car (brake lines, springs, fuel lines, etc). I looked at a couple if imported cars here in Australia and walked away.

The other issue will be driving a RH drive car on LH drive roads. Visibility will be an issue (corners, overtaking), plus you may have to change the headlights.

#4 MWG968@optimum.net

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • City:Colts Neck
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

I figured it was maybe the fact that they had more of them because they also sold the Sport model so perhaps they are not such a big thing over there. As far as Right hand drive is concerned I have driven a few land rovers with right hand drive and Its not been an issue for me infact it could become quite natural as I am left handed which would be good for shifting.

So Rust is the big issue then. Too bad I guess I will need to adjust my search to southern spain haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.