• City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:34 AM

i've learned a lot over the years about how these things work, what fits in, and what doesn't. car talk is the absolute last thing that belongs in this event. it was only when we started cutting that out that we started getting the women involved, which is what makes it work.

lol - the badges were there to "introduce" everyone. you were supposed to circulate, like at any party, and meet people. that's why it was called a "meet and greet". i understand that not everybody was there friday, but we didn't miss many. 2/3 of the group was there. the rest were there at lunch.

1 - i deliberately wanted to avoid the typical stuffy stuff like that. that's for those pca guys. that's why i don't go to those events. this event is not about the cars. this event is about the wine. what i should have had was a round table of sorts about the wines we tasted.

2 - absolutely not. this entire trip was about the wine. it was not about the cars. the cars were just how we met.

3 - again, it's not about the cars. we talk about that stuff plenty on the site. we sure don't need to spoil a good weekend by boring the women with car talk. they just check out and get all cranky when the guys start doing that.

sunday was the chance to do any of the car stuff. i left it open for that reason. perhaps i should have organized something, but i anticipated people being tired and wanting to get on the road. as it turns out, i was right.

if this event were longer, things like this would fit in. it's really hard though when you only have a couple of days.

#442 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

I definitely see where Langley is coming from and some of us Northerners could have missed the explicit "wine" intentions. We get so little interation our 968 ilk that we may crave a little more ;) I know it may be boring for the ladies but I would have liked a walk around everyones car and listened to a 5 minute spiel; my wife expects a bit of this "behavior" and I think most parteners would tolerate just a bit of car talk.
I can tell you I will remember BanditSc and Tama until we meet again because we interacted technically on a one to one basis - it only takes 5 minutes. As always - IMHO.

#443 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

i completely understand that. i could stand there and talk cars all day (just ask my wife). the problem is that the event does better when it is not about the cars. there just isn't any way to start something like that, without it lasting for hours. heck, it takes nearly 30 minutes just to get you guys to stop gabbing and get into your car to go.

as i said, i've been doing this one for 10 years now. i've learned what makes it work and what makes it fail. the worst years were when i let it get out of control and let the guys spend too much time talking cars. nothing but complaints from the women. the best years are when that didn't happen at all. from what i gather, the reviews from the women were great. this is because they were included, and were not subjected to endless car talk. we all know that the key to happiness is keeping them happy. we get to go to events like this when we can assure them that they too will have a good time.

again, if there were another day, it would be a no brainer. it would be easy too, in that the guys could do the car thing, and the women could spend the whole day at the spa, or shopping, or whatever, rather than just a couple of hours. the problem is getting people to commit to that length of a trip. it was hard enough stretching it to 3 days. as it was, 1/3 of the group couldn't make it on friday, and another few didn't show up until lunch. those were largely the ones with cool cars and stories. how do you work that out?

we have plenty of other car focused events. i put together a few throughout the year myself. there is nothing but car talk during those. we could certainly have more. this has been the only wine event.

feel free to put together a car focused event. odds are i'll come up for it.

in the meantime, i'll be thinking about this event. who knows what will happen?

#444 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

I can see both sides of the coin. I would have *loved* to ride in someone else's car that has the supercharger, just to compare notes. Is mine working 100%? Does it sound "right"? Am I missing some cool gadget everyone else has?

Yet, you're absolutely right about the women. My wife thought it was the best weekend ever, and now she wants to buy a Cayman, a car she *hated* when we first howled up Route 5 with it. God help me. She was even interested when I told her our rest stop was Blackwell Corners, and why that was James Dean's last stop. And I did hear some muttering from the ladies about "car talk", but only in terms like "I hope they don't get talking about friggin' cars. I hate that."

Shamefully, and I admit this is a personal weakness, I have difficulty putting faces to names. I remember the folks I talked with the most, of course, but I'd appreciate a gallery of faces with screen names. Is anyone else up for that? Or maybe there's one already...

#445 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

Here, I will start it off.. Who can match the screen name to the face... :P

Posted Image

#446 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

Dr Evil???

Attached Files

Edited by 94SilverCab, 20 April 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#447 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Shamefully, and I admit this is a personal weakness, I have difficulty putting faces to names. I remember the folks I talked with the most, of course, but I'd appreciate a gallery of faces with screen names. Is anyone else up for that? Or maybe there's one already...

I think that would be a good idea.

Bob (Flash) - thanks to the good explanation of the past history of these events and the primary focus. I understand it better now and because I had no prior experience, I had some expectations that did not happen. That does not mean it was bad, it just means that my expectation was somewhat mis-focussed. For an upcoming event. my expectation will be more in line with what will happen.
I have to admit that Darlene FULLY enjoyed herself. That is in no small part to the fact that the event was focused on THE PEOPLE and NOT the cars. The cars are what brings this VERY diverse group of people together. Truth be told, many of use would probably never interact with each other, if it were not for the fact that we happen to have 968's. That in itself is a very interesting phenomenon.

So... I washed the 968 today of all the road grime it accumulated in the past 8 days of our travels. I guess the heavy down pour we drove through from Seattle to Langley washed of the bulk, because the car was amazingly clean. I am gald to report that there are very few additional stone chip marks on the car.
NOW... as I was drying the car I tried pushing the door handle inward while pulling the lever... and voila! The door opened! Poor Darlene! Climbed in and out throught he driver side... for nothing! Boy will I be in trouble when she gets back from work and tell her!

#448 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Um, tell her you fixed it instead, and you'll be a hero! ;)

#449 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Don't tell her at all. Just act surprised! This would entail not speaking so as you don't lie. Facial and body expressions work well!

#450 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Speaking of cars...my friend arranged a private tour of the Mullin Automotive Museum in Oxnard on Tuesday after the Paso event...if you ever have the chance to see this collection you owe it to yourself.

http://www.mullinaut....com/index.html

Jay

Attached Files

• Attached File  099.jpg   162.86KB   0 downloads

#451 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Bandit - that's the picture they use on RL for Bob right? :lol:

#452 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

So where is the collection of all photos ? ( including Tama's -I can't access his site for some reason ) Is it in tne forum's gallery section ?

#453 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

http://www.968forums...aso-robles-run/

#454 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I put all mine in the gallery, and on the FTP site as well for those who want the full size ones.

The site is still running - ftp.tamathumper.com, user: ftp13151708-0 Pass: PasoRobles

#455 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Still waiting for my son to upload the videos of the fun run, kids!

#456 ryker

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Dave, speaking of videos, I have video of your hatch randomly opening, as well as your disdain for squirrels! Where would you like me to upload those to? Probably too big for the site?

I'm excited to see the video of us coming down the mountain. My GoPro died at the nasty outhouse stop that we made (I made a trip to Best Buy this week and picked up an extra battery for $20, too bad I didn't think to do this sooner).

#457 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Ryker, I'm fooling around with my go pro now. How come your battery died? I thought it lasted some time.

#458 ryker

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Rap, no, these batteries do not last very long. Cold weather and it gets noticeably worse. It is actually a big about these cameras: http://gopro.com/cam...ery/read-review

They really should have a stand-alone battery charger. I just picked up the GoPro3 Black but if you note below, the Silver and White get much better battery life. I wanted to buy the BacPac battery as well but Best Buy does not carry that one, so I'll order it online (although $50 is steep for a battery). Below is from GoPro's site. Seems the BacPac would give you more life than just one additional hour since it is a bigger battery (although I don't know the . Elsewhere on the site it states "double your battery life". The standard battery is 1050 mAH but I can't find the rating on the BacPac battery.

Two cameras would have been ideal on the Paso trip. The suction cup holds like it is glued down, so would be great to see the line of cars behind as well as in front. I had it on my windshield and that worked well but sound was just wind noise. I should have angled it down a bit for less glare. I'm excited about the iPhone link so you can now frame your shot before taking off. I would like to have one near the exhaust to get that sound.

Avg. time for camera only Avg. time for lowest power consumption setting Avg. time for highest power consumption setting Avg. time for Camera + LCD Touch BacPac Avg. time for Camera + Battery BacPac2 Black Edition 1.5 hrs 1.5 hrs (1080-30) 1 hr (WVGA-240) 1 hr 2.5 hrs Silver Edition 2 hrs 2 hrs (720-30) 1.5 hrs (WVGA-120) 1.5 hrs 3 hrs White Edition 2.5 hrs 3 hrs (WVGA-60 and 720-30) 2 hrs (1080-30) 1.5 hrs 3.5 hrs

#459 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Wow, everything you wanted to know about batteries but were afraid to ask.. Reminds me of the old joke : what's the difference between a battery and a woman ? A battery has a positive side. Burrrrump-pum. Actually, bad joke, women have a very positive side, but that's not a topic we can discuss on the forum. Furthermore, don't want the ladies here to start comparing the pros and cons of batteries vs. men, lol, we might lose .. Ok, back to my glass of wine now.

#460 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Furthermore, don't want the ladies here to start comparing the pros and cons of batteries vs. men, lol, we might lose .. Ok, back to my glass of wine now.

Smart man! :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.