• City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

NOTE: THERE HAVE BEEN SOME CHANGES IN THE SCHEDULE. LUNCH IS NOW AT TOBIN JAMES AND DINNER IS IN THE CAVES AT EBERLE.

I am very happy to announce the 10th Annual Paso Robles NorCal / SoCal Rendezvous and Wine Tour/Fun Run. I am all but certain that this is the last one of these that I will be hosting. So, I am going to try to pull out all the stops on this one, and make it as great as I can.

I know this is a LONG way off, but time tends to fly, and we often forget to plan for things that we really regret missing when we do forget.

The event has really developed over the years. We started with just a few cars, expanding each year, swelling to over 20 cars, and then 4 years ago we expanded the event to 2 days. That change saw a few cars fall off, but the group was more dedicated, and we had more fun. A hidden added bonus of doing this was that we saw people flying in from the East Coast. This year I think we will not only have that happening, but also people driving down from Canada and other distant points.

Historically, scheduling the event has presented challenges. Picking the right weekend has been tough due to considerations of other events, and the weather. It also has always been a huge strain to get up early enough to make it to Paso Robles in time for the event. There have been those who have missed out on the event, just because it meant having to get up so early. Then, after a full day of eating and tasting, when we get back to the hotel, we are generally all pretty tired. I've missed the Scotch Tasting every year because of it.

While the event is very couples friendly, incorporating a Fun Run has always been hard, as the passengers generally don't have a lot of fun being sloshed around. Consequently the rest of us don't have as much fun as we'd like to either.

To resolve these things, this event will be a bit different format than the previous ones, and is expanding a bit more. I am also changing the hotel this time. While the Holiday Inn Express was "ok", and the staff tried really hard to make it work for us, it left a lot to be desired, and really didn't lend itself well to our group. This time we will be at the Courtyard Marriott. I have already negotiated a great rate. We will also have a dedicated area in the parking lot for us, and not just a few spaces that we constantly had to fight for. The Marriott has a nice lobby, a wine and beer lounge, a patio right off of that, as well as nicer accommodations all around.

To take the load and pressure off of the long drive, this year we will let people arrive at their own convenience on Friday instead of Saturday. If they want to caravan, that's fine, but they don't have to. They can take a day off, or a half day, or not at all, and get there when they get there. This will really make it a lot easier for those coming in from out of town. It will also make the event a lot more enjoyable for everyone, as the stress of packing, getting into the car, and making rendezvous times and such becomes much less of an issue. Being able to wake up Saturday morning much more rested will also make the day's events a lot easier to survive.

For those that don't go on the Saturday Morning Fun Run, and choose to stay behind, we will be putting together a "Spa Day" at the River Oaks Hot Springs Spa. Robin (Brian's better half) will be heading that up. She can be contacted at rbreck@amgen.com for more information. Reservations for what you want must be made in advance, no later than Friday March 29, and must be made directly with the spa. The spa can be contacted at the number on the information sheet below for reservations or more information. I have rented a van for the day, which Ayn will drive, so round trip transportation to the spa will be provided at $10 per person.

I hope to see a bunch of new faces, as well as some who have attended in the past, but not made it recently. I think this package really sets itself up to be a "mini vacation" and will attract some who would otherwise found excuses not to attend.

The WHEN:
The dates will be Friday April 12 Through Sunday April 14th.

The HOTEL:
The hotel has changed to the Courtyard Marriott. I have negotiated a phenomenal rate of $159 per night, down from over $200, which is for a king sized bed, and also includes breakfast for 2. You need to make your own reservation. Please tell them you are in the "968 Forums" group. That will get you the discount rate. The deadline for getting this rate is Tuesday March 12.

Courtyard Marriott Paso Robles
120 S. Vine St
Paso Robles, CA 93446
805-239-5511

HOW MUCH?:
Pretty much all of the wineries are charging $10 tasting fees now. Catering costs went up a bit too. We tend to drink quite a bit of wine at lunch, and will definitely be doing that at dinner, and all of that really adds up. Tickets for this event used to be $40, but you bought your own dinner and breakfast, and I bought the wine at lunch. Dealing with the restaurants has always been a pain. In anticipation of a much larger event, with a lot more people, this time it will be more of an "all inclusive" deal, and I'm taking care of everything. To make things simpler, pretty much everything is included this time around, and there is a whole lot more of it. So, I have to raise the ticket price to cover all of that. Tickets for this event are $100 per person. As always this is to be paid to 968Forums.com, and can be done by check in the mail. Contact me via email (no PMs please) if you don't already have the address to send it to. Included in your ticket prices is:

Friday night Meet and Greet wine and hors d'ouevres
Saturday Lunch complete
Tasting Fees for all wineries
Saturday dinner and wine
Special gift

Here is the schedule:
Friday:
Friday evening, we will have a "Meet and Greet" in the lobby, with wine and hors d'ouevres. From there people can go to dinner at their own convenience, and be able to get to bed whenever they see fit. A list of local restaurants will be provided at the Meet and Greet.

Saturday:
Saturday morning we will get up at a more reasonable hour than we traditionally have, and have breakfast at the hotel (which is included in our room package). This can be done at your own pace, keeping in mind the day's schedule.

Here is what they typically have:
Chilled Orange, Cranberry, Apple & Passion Guava
Fresh Breakfast Breads to include Blueberry & Apple Cinnamon Muffins, Petite Danish Pastries
Coffee Crumb Cake
Assorted Yoplait & Activia Yogurt
Fluffy Scrambled Eggs
Crisp Bacon
Sausage
Breakfast Potatoes
Biscuits & Gravy
Made to Order Omelets
Hot & Cold Cereal
Make your own Waffles
Fruit Salad
Whole Seasonal Fruit
Fresh Brewed Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee & Assorted Teas

Then, those who want to go on the Fun Run we will have a Driver's meeting in the parking lot at 9:15 and depart the hotel at 9:30am.

For those going to the spa, Ayn will be driving the van, and will leave the hotel at 9:15 sharp. That will give everybody almost 3 hours at the spa.

We will then all rendezvous back at the hotel for a catered lunch at 12:30.

From there we will head on out at 1:30 for the afternoon of tasting. I am planning some pretty special stuff for us this time too, but that's going to remain a surprise.

We will end up at Tobin James about 5 or so for some tasting and shopping.

Dinner will be at Tobin James, where they will kick the public out at 6, fire up the pizza ovens after they close up, and make us some of those gourmet pizzas we had a few years ago that everybody loved so much. We'll sit under the stars, eat pizza, drink wine, and listen to some of the members playing guitar, singing, and generally having a great time.

Sunday:
Sunday will be pretty loose. I will have another Fun Run course lain out for those who want to take a nice cruise, but at more "normal" speeds than Saturday's run. I will also have prepared a list of other wineries that we recommend people go to if they are so inclined. There are 2 nice golf courses in town too. You are, of course, free to go out on your own, or go home.

Here is an information sheet on the spa:
Attached File  5.31_ROHSS_PriceList.jpg   202.34KB   24 downloads

#2 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Nah, I don't think I'll make this one...besides, it sure does not look like you put enough thought or effort into pulling it all together that well ( particularly when you have so much other free time on your hands.. )
Aw, alright , fine, if I really must.....count me in. :-) :-)

#3 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

lol - i'm REALLY looking forward to this one. it looks like i'll have D1R closed down by then, and actually be able to enjoy the mini-vacation. i'm going to throw everything i can at this to make sure it's a great event for everybody. it has always been a great event, with diverse people coming together for a bunch of fun. it never ceases to amaze me at how different everybody can be, and how alike, all at the same time. i love that.

#4 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Jeez if DS has to go I guess we will have to also!

#5 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

This is bound to be epic ! Does not even matter if it rains ( did I just hear myself say that. ?! ) and I am really looking forward to it ! I also informed Alena that she will be joining this final event if I have to drag her in kicking and screaming all the way...into tne spa which she will undoubtedly enjoy, lol !

#6 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

DaveN already had contacted me a few weeks back about driving down from Canada for this event. Since Darlene has mentioned a few times that we should drive to CA in the 968, I think this is the event to make it happen!
The planning so far seems to be TOP notch!
I will book the time off on the "Holiday Schedule" at work tomorrow already! :EmoticonCar:

#7 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

DS perhaps if you just told your better half that she doesn't have to drive with you on Saturday that would work. Seems to be working on my end!

#8 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

DS perhaps if you just told your better half that she doesn't have to drive with you on Saturday that would work. Seems to be working on my end!

Yup, exactly what I told her . Worked.

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

lol - i sure wish i had thought of this sooner. we have always had those who had to drop out of the fun run, which was always on sunday, either to get home, or because there was nothing to do with the other half while they were out. it was always a logistical problem. it wasn't until robin went to the spa last year that it came to mind as a great idea. she gets all the credit for that epiphany.

#10 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

How many Yellow Corvettes are available on the West Coast?

Jay

#11 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

How many Yellow Corvettes are available on the West Coast?

Jay

Might be able to find you a yellow Chevette.....

#12 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

Jay, don't want to drive a porsche?

#13 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • City:Santa Rosa
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

I'm in for sure.

As this is to be the final event, some of you east coasters should consider driving out for it. I know it is a long haul but there are some pretty amazing things to see along the way.

#14 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

To re-iterate the conversation Langley and I have had - my wife and I are in and the vacation booking will commence forthwith. I will email for the address to send the monies too.

#15 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

What's the travel time for you guys Dave?

#16 sbdrivingdotcom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

Courtyard is a great choice. I've stayed there the last two years for a basketball tournament and the staff is amazing.

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

yeah - we were going to stay there a few years ago for this, but i just couldn't work the deal. this year i could.

#18 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

What's the travel time for you guys Dave?

It is about 1800 Km from my place to Paso Robles. About 19 hours of driving time, if we drove straight there!
For Dave that would be more like 2060 Km plus a 2 hour ferry ride to get off Vancouver Island!

#19 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Boy that's impressive. Certainly well worth the trip as its a fun affair!

#20 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Certainly well worth the trip as its a fun affair!

wait, "affair ?! forget what I said earlier about my wife joining me . :P btw, is ashleymadison.com a forums sponsor ? :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.