• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • City:Atlanta
  • State:GA
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

3k for a clutch replacement? That's seems a little steep. Book time on the 968 for replacing the clutch is only around 6 hrs compared to the 10+ for the 944. Just to give you a reference point, I recently did mine with the aid of a lift and had around 10hrs in it by the time I was done. I also did the flywheel and the rear main seal at the same time. I did have a second pair of hands helping out during dissassembly and when putting the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate back in which helped speed things up.

#22 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

i have done a clutch in as little as 3.5 hours. it definitely is not a long job. parts can be about $2k though, depending on the flywheel, pivot fork, release bearing, yada yada.

#23 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • City:Santa Rosa
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I just had the clutch, pilot bearing, etc., done on the 968 and it came in at about $1500. Three grand sounds way high.

#24 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Just to clarify a bit on the pressure plate, I believe the 964 and the 968 plates actually have the same spring pressure, but the aforementioned difference in the cars' clutch pedal pivot points ends up making the 964 plate significantly harder to depress, even though the actual spring pressure is no greater. So, it forces your leg to work harder, for no benefit in terms of actual clamping force.

Funny observation about the lift. My hesitation about getting one, other than the cost, is that I'm doing so much work to my car, plus have done a ton to other cars in the family recently (new outer CV boots on the X5, new struts, front springs, and hardware on the 325i, etc.), that if I get one when I get my car off its jacks, it may be awhile before I get to use it.

#25 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

the cost gets significantly higher if your DMF is failing, like so many of them are. same thing if you have to do all the little bits (fork bearings, guide sleeve, yada yada). $1500 is pretty typical though.

#26 bva

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • City:Santa Barbara
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

just did my clutch also; $3k total. $2k for parts included new DMF and sport clutch kit with seals, bolts and bearings.

#27 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

yup - there ya go

#28 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

So a thousand bucks for labor. At $85/hour, that's nearly 12 hours. Does it really take that long, including the flywheel? I'm going to put my flywheel and clutch back on before I install the engine, so I won't have the pleasure of experiencing a "real" clutch/flywheel install.

#29 hk968

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • City:Corning
  • State:NY

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi all,

I see that the thread shifted its focus a little bit, which is just fine.

Still I promised to give an update: So I looked at the car today and test drove it - it in really nice condition and I am quite excited! The seller agreed to do a PPI, and if that comes out OK, I will buy the car.

Once I get the car, I am sure people will ask me why I look so happy all the time - and my answer will be "I just bought a Posche ..." :)

#30 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yes that sh-teating grin is tough to get off your face!

#31 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

Clutch replacement I quoted at $3K includes the DMF and all the bearings and bits "while you're in there".

#32 wmuldowney

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • City:Fort Worth
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

I mean no disrespect to those who, for usually very good reasons I'm sure, take their cars to mechanics to get them worked on, but to me, when you buy a nearly 20-year-old Eurpoean GT, you're not buying a car, you're buying a hobby, and again, this is just my opinion, but part of the hobby involves working on it yourself.

Cloud, I tend to agree with you on this, I too am in the 5% Class (bottom thats is lol). My dad was Air Force, enlisted, with 4 kids. I think I was around 20 something before I knew there where people for hire to do things like mechanic, plumbing, electrician, landscape, etc. You get my point. Starting at around age 8 I knew the proper name of tools, had assisted in everything from brakes to full engine overhaul. I am by definition a true "jack of all trades, master of none" and it saves me money on all the basic stuff around the cars / home.

Point is when I do go to professional with non Porsche cars, I at least have a clue and know when I being worked. I enjoy working on my 968 and it is a true blessing having a 25+ Porsche mechanic in the family who allows me to use shop and lets me do the work while he watches making sure I don't mess up too bad. I have learned a lot and saved huge money.

#33 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Yes, and again, I mean no disrespect whatsoever to those who choose to have their work done by professionals. I'm just trying to point out that,

a) Learning to work on your car yourself is not as daunting as it might appear, if you start with small projects and work up, and utilize the collective experience of this site
B) Doing so will save you a TON of money, along with giving you a lot of satisfaction
c) If you buy one of these cars and don't plan to do your own maintenance and repairs, make sure you have a very large sum of cash on reserve at all times, because many of the things that will need fixing are extremely labor intensive

I think a lot of people fall in love with an older car like a 968, underestimate the financial investment involved with keeping it running properly, and the whole thing ends badly.

Edit: Hmmm... I see that a small letter "b", followed by a closed parentheses, gives a sunglass smiley. Oh well, it's kind of appropriate, anyway.

Edited by Cloud9...68, 10 March 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#34 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Cloud I agree with everything you said except daunting. Yes perhaps one can learn and enjoy it, I hope too, but boy it sure looks like Mt. everest to me!

#35 link517

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • City:Wallingford
  • State:Connecticut
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Just had my clutch/flywheel replaced. About 2800 for new parts, 800 labor.

#36 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

Cloud I agree with everything you said except daunting. Yes perhaps one can learn and enjoy it, I hope too, but boy it sure looks like Mt. everest to me!

But even Mt. Everest is climbed one step at a time :D

Believe me, the sight of boxes full of parts I took off my engine months ago has been very daunting to me as well, but taking it bit by bit, it seems to be coming together. If a dummy like me can rebuild an engine, surely the average member of this board can tackle stick their toe in the water in terms of some basic maintenance on their cars!

#37 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

I've got a couple of stories that would likely convince you to not let me work on your car - unless I agreed to sign a personal-injury waiver and insure your car for far more than it's worth.

As such I play with things that I can not break (like trunk carpeting and stereos and stuff like that) and leave the things that make the car go and or stop to the pros.

Anyway, time to head out to the garage ;)

#38 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,545 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Well said. Working on cars isn't for everybody. It's important to know ones limitations. Although, it doesn't hurt to step outside the comfort zone every now and then, either, though I wouldn't recommend yanking out your engine and tearing it down to the bare block as a first project, either (especially when, like me, you neglect to take enough pictures along the way!)

#39 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Agreed to each his own. I would be dead before scaling everest one step at a time!!! My toe is in the water. Damn it's cold! Lol

#40 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

:drama: Good luck on the purchase of your 968, I know if u liked the test drive you will love the car when u own it. I found the car of my dreams BUT it looks like the owner won't sell it now :whine: I don't kwow about repairs but if u can do some of the work it shouldn't be to bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.