• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • City:Fleming Island
  • State:FL
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

I'm looking at buying my first Porsche and 968. I know it is all about maintenance, but I am seeing ads for vehicles over 100K miles.

At the end of the day, it is a 4 cylinder and at what point do I really have to say "I'll pass"? I'm just trying to prepare myself for how long a 968 drive train will last. If the car has been well cared for, I'm sure there is a point where the engine and/or tranny will require a rebuild or replacement. If the car has not been well cared for - I'm sure it will show all over.

Can anyone help give me a ball park mileage? I just do not want to waste time looking at cars that are going to cost me some serious bucks and headaches. I will only use the car a few times a month, as it will not be my primary vehicle.

#2 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

Your first premise is correct, it depends on maintenance. Many 968 are seeing close to 200k at this point. With that kind of mileage you want to be aware of suspension parts being tired and make sure that items like rod bearings have been changed (no more than 120k). No matter how little you will need to spend, replacement parts rise with the cost of living. In general, I would say buy the best one you can afford, rather than a fixer-upper (unless that's your thing).

JMHO,

Jay

#3 TonyBray

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

I'm with Jay, my car is right at 195k miles. I have had this discussion before on here about continuing to run the car or replace it. Part of what I love about this car is what might be an issue for you, it's very exclusive and rare and they are not getting any younger. When I bought mine years ago, it was one of two within 500 miles of my house. If you just have to have one, keep in mind that almost everything on these cars is available or replaceable for the moment.

#4 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,574 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but as I have mentioned before, I am not mechanically inclined. So I was patient, two years, before I bought my 968. I paid a premium for a mint car in great mechanical shape. I have put money into it, my choice for mods, and have had one repair. So if your mechanically inclined and have the money and patience get a decent car and fix it up. If not pay a premium and drive and have fun!

#5 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

Swin, welcome and kindly accept the following as my humble opinion with some tongue in cheek as well, and I wish you all the best of luck in your upcoming search. You will absolutely love your car, and I'd be glad to help you out if necessary. :)

Someone said - "There are no cheap Porsches", and within reason that's a true statement. A great example of the 968 (and you may adjust your definition of "great" up or down from mine as you see fit) will cost about $20,000, and at least a few thousand dollars per year in maintenance. My definition of "great" for this purpose means there's nothing wrong with it. Everything works and there's a minimum of spooky new noises to make your hair stand on end when you drive it.

Let's say for the purpose of my example that you can buy a spankin' example of the 968 for about $20,000 and not have to do much to it (I'll never say "nothing to it", that's sacrilege), or you can buy one for $15,000 and put $5,000 into it, or you can maybe go as low as $12,000 and put $8,000 into it. Any lower than that and you're probably stretching credibility about whether or not the balance to make it this definition of "great" would really not exceed the $20,000 ceiling... Or, you can buy one for $15,000 (or less) and live with a little bit of stuff, some "beauty marks" and some clunks. As with women, once they're over a certain age they start to show some age and accidentally fart in public once in a while, no?

Why is that stretching it? Because sadly, the 968 is old enough to be well into the "danger zone". The "danger zone" is defined as that area, most recently passed through by the 944 (and S and Turbo (S)), that is affordable to the "Thunder Chicken" crowd who are bound and determined to own a Porsh, but who do not possess the means to maintain the car with any semblance of propriety. There will be lots of epoxy, Loc-Tite, touch-up paint, and VW/Audi parts on a Porsh. Thankfully it might be easy to spot because it won't be the pristine example you saw in the CraigsList ad when you get there - it will smell funny and the grill will be broken, there will be lots of bad respray on the front and back bumpers, the interior will be challenged, and the seller will tell you it's a good idea to put it in neutral when you pull up to a red light...

Well, you probably know the drill. Anyway, I do wish you the best of luck in your search, and I know that there are fantastic examples of the 968 out there in the $15,000 range, that need very little done to them, unless you catch the bug.

#6 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

agreed. all too often you hear people say that they can get one for less that is in "great" shape. then we talk to them 2 years later and they have come to the same realization that we all have, and spent the same amount as we all have. these cars are old and suffer the same ills as any other car. the rubber in the car is shot, the hydraulics are toast, the head gasket is corroded, yada yada. basically you can figure that any car, unless it was done in the last 2 years, will need about $3k right off the bat. it will be a lot more if things haven't been done.

spend it now or spend it later. the total is the same.

is that a "doom and gloom" story? not at all. go out and try to find any car that can do what the 968 can do for the kind of money that a 968 costs. you won't find it.

#7 bombfactory

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • City:Huntington Beach
  • State:CA
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

Tamathumper said it all. I bought 'low-ish' and if I ever get done going through everything that needs to be done I'll be at $20k easy. Don't let that scare you off though. I'm at 122k miles and the engine runs smooth, pulls great and I'm not anticipating any issues as long as I keep after the timing/balance belts at their recommended intervals.

#8 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

My first Porsche was a 968 and you can add another owner to the list of the "it'll end up costing about 20K when you're satisfied" crowd here....I've got just over that in my Cab (some fix its, some cosmetic mods) and only because I got my Coupe insanely cheap due to circumstances, it'll be 15K when I'm "done" but it'll have the D1R Supercharger on it included in that price!! :rock:

Now that being said, your original questions was about high mileage scaring you off of a potential buy. I had 244K on my 944 when I sold it...nothing wrong with it as a pretty decent daily driver. It had had a complete engine overhaul, power steering rack, and other major maintenance items done and was a very reliable car. The timing belt broke, so I sold it cheap since it needed a head job and valves and I wasn't interested in spending real money on it since I had moved on to my 968 Coupe as a "fix it while I drive it" project. I just saw my old 944 come up for sale so it got put back together and is still going strong! I almost e-mailed the guy to go look at it just to tell the story.

So, if you have some maintenance history, even if it's not complete, but recent, high mileage doesn't necessarily have to be a concern. Overall condition will tell you a lot about the cars previous owners and it was rode hard and pt away wet. These cars are built fairly well and with proper care, can and will last a long time. Take your time and fine one that fits your needs, but as previous posters have mentioned, you will spend some money on a car like this as opposed to a Japanese econobox that you can just drive into the ground. A Porsche will not respond well to that sort of treatment.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

- Darryl

#9 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Because sadly, the 968 is old enough to be well into the "danger zone". The "danger zone" is defined as that area, most recently passed through by the 944 (and S and Turbo (S)), that is affordable to the "Thunder Chicken" crowd who are bound and determined to own a Porsh,

I don't know. I'm thinking that crowd may pass right over the 968 and go for a 996 or a Boxster which can be had for the same money or less and those same guys would consider those vehicles to be a "real" Porchs :) .

As for the original poster, I think you can get a 70-90K mile 968 for not that much more then the 100K+ cars so if mileage bothers you keep looking. For reference, I sold a very nice 94 coupe, 6 spd, partial leather, Limited slip, 17s, and up to date maintenance for $13K a year ago.

#10 Swin

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • City:Fleming Island
  • State:FL

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for all the honest advice! My ultimate goal is to get a 968 I can enjoy from day one! It does not have to be mint, but I can work on the ashetics (small items) and any non-critical mechanical repairs at my own pace. Upgrades will come after that. I've always admired Porsche, but I was not in a position to support it. Now I'm ready to take the plunge!

It sounds like the maintenance record for any vehicle I consider will be essential. I just did not want to buy a 968 and during my first 100 miles the bottom falls out... Large drive train repairs I'll have to leave to the experts, and I know those can get expensive quickly.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Looks like my patience will test me. Particularly since most 968 ads means >300 miles for me.

#11 Monstrous4Banger

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • City:Ukiah
  • State:CA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

I bought mine for 8k. Its not a daily driver, and I do most of my own work. I cant say how reliable its been. There is 125k on the clock. It shows wear in some places. The drivers seat bolster is starting to crack, the drivers footwell carpet shows sign of wear. A few paint imperfections here, and there. Mechanically all it need when I bought it was wheel bearings. The pinion bearing in the transmission started making the infamous whirring sound right after I bought it. These things didnt matter much to me, because Im going completely through the car mechanically any way. I actually just started on the project the other day, and pulled it out of storage and into my garage. Its going to be a turbo s conversion. Its a clean platform in all the right places for me. The suspension, powertrain, braking, are all getting ripped out, and rebuilt, or replaced. Im the second owner. Its an AZ car that was driven, but very well maintained, and kept in a cooled garage. All the belts had just been done, by a shop I know. As well as a full inspection. Its never been hit, and the tub is perfect. The devil is in the details. Look under the rear hatch area carpet. Look on the seem of the tub, where the quarter panel is welded to. Things like that. Signs of accident repair. it really is all about maintenance. Lower mileage cars can have just as many issues. These cars dont like to sit, and not be driven. Make sure a low mileage car has been serviced regardless of miles.

#12 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

I drove several times for 6 hours to look at cars that were real "rats", towing a rented trailer the whole way... Then I flew from Upstate NY to Virginia to meet up with Darryl (who posted a few posts back), and had the chance to look at three very nice examples for sale all at the same time.

Patience definitely pays off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.