• Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:20 AM

just an update on attendance

currently we have 9 968s coming and 3 rentals, with a total of 16 people

5 are from norcal and 4 from socal

4 are supercharged

sure would love to see a couple more, but this is a good sized group and pretty easy to manage, so there is some advantage to that too

fun either way, and we have some special tasting in store for you this year

#42 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Chris - I'm ok with the interim meeting point in Gilroy if that still makes sense, or without it.. either way, just let me know.
I'm on the mid-Peninsula, right off 280.

On another note, this weather better friggin' change in the next couple of weeks ! :angry: With very few exceptions it has rained almost every day for a month now, and the entire next week's forecast is for more of the same. I'll be at the meet rain or shine, but if there's heavy rain, I'm showing up for the wine tasting in my daily driver (the MBZ ), not willing to take the 968 on the road and risk some imbecile running into me or on 101 on the way to or from Paso <_<

#43 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

I thought it never rained there...

#44 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

well, either way it's going to be a great trip

the wineries are all lined up now - i enlisted the help of pauli this year - he hooked us up with the middle two wineries

so, we start off at tobin james for lunch and testing - then we are off to j lohr - after that we will head over to niner - then to wrap up we go to justin - we have very special tours arranged so you can be assured that we will be treated to some really great wines

i have no idea what car i am driving yet, as i am still wrestling with something stupid on mine, but again either way, i'm going to have fun

#45 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • City:Santa Rosa
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

NorCal group, according to Flash there are 5 of us making the trip. Last year I was the only car from the East Bay so I drove over to the peninsula met up with Dan and Ernie and we drove to Paso together from Portola Valley. However, this year, because we have cars coming from the East Bay and West Bay and Napa, I think that we should rendezvous in Gilroy at our usual gathering place. So let's plan to meet at the Starbucks at the Gilroy Outlet shopping complex. Take the Leavesley Rd. exit. At the light turn left and the Starbucks will be on your right. We should plan to depart Gilroy no later than 9:00 AM as we need to be in Paso by 11:30 AM. I have been working on a project in Morro Bay for the past 3 years and I have made trip this numerous times, but not since last fall. I think if we give ourselves 2.5 hours we'll be OK. The last time I made the trip the CHP were as thick as flies San Jose to Salinas and south of King City, so we'll plan on cruising at the posted limit. If you have electronics countermeasures gear, bring it.

We have talked about taking Hwy. 25 as an alternative in the past. We would have to cut over to Hollister from the 101 and cut back over to the 101 further south. It is a beautiful run through the Chalone wine grape growing district, but it would add at least an hour to the trip. Might be worth considering for the trip home when the time pressure isn't as great.

#46 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

oddly, i haven't heard from ernie yet this year, but yes, counting you chris i show 5, 2 of which are supercharged - one coming from sonoma, one from alameda via fresno, you, one from the city, and one from san carlos - not sure yet about one from sacramento

#47 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

NorCAl contingent. For some reason I thought that Pauli was coming from Napa Co. Since he is coming from Sonoma it might be easier for him to come through San Francisco and down 101. If that is the case, then I am the only car leaving from the east bay. I can easily come across the Bay to link up with the rest of you and he can head down from there. If we do that we should plan on leaving San Carlos no later than 8:15 or thereabouts. What do you all want to do?

Edited by Chris Vais, 24 March 2011 - 07:33 AM.

#48 lbpesq

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • City:Oakland
  • State:California
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

I'm planning on taking 25 on the way back if the weather is good (fingers crossed). If anyone hasn't driven this road before, it is well worth the extra time as it is one of the most beautiful and fun driver's roads in the country. In fact, I found it about 25 years ago when there was a story in Car and Driver in which it was included as one of the top ten driver's roads in America.

Bill

#49 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

don't quote me on that - i'm not sure where he is leaving from - i'm sure the two of you will coordinate though - i know you guys have been playing tag

#50 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'll see if I can call Ernest, see what the latest story is on his situation ..

#51 Pauli

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • City:Rutherford

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

For some reason I was thinking the NorCal contingent was heading down on Friday instead of early Sat. I was actually planning on heading down on Friday - So, I will just plan on meeting everyone in Paso on Saturday at the Holiday Inn Express at around 11:00. I think Bob said 11:00 - I'll check the post to confirm.

#52 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:28 PM

i just realized i had a boobo in the first page info (it was a copy from text from last year)

the rendezvous is NOT at La Quinta, but rather at Holiday Inn Express 2455 Riverside Dr. - it is at 11:45

#53 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

Erni will join in. :) He was also thinking about taking 25 on the way to Paso, but given the rather tight schedule on Sat, I'd rather opt for that route on the way back instead - looks like there are at least three of us who might consdier a caravan via the Pinnacles on the return trip, so that'd be my vote anyway..

#54 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

I'd be interested in that. I do have to make one stop for sure on Sunday to pick up a shipment of wine at Tablas Creek and I may need to pick up some Petit Sirah samples. We need some Petit Sirah from Paso to buck up some Paso Zin that we produced in 2009. It just a tad to light bodied for my taste and a little Petit Sirah blended in will make a difference.

Pauli is going down on Friday, IBPESQ is coming over from Fresno on Saturday, so I am the only east bay car. So why don't we rendezvous on the peninsula somewhere and drive down as a group. Who is coming from San Francisco?

#55 lbpesq

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • City:Oakland

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

A 25/Pinnacles caravan on the return trip on Sunday sounds great! Senior Management (wife) and I will be driving from Fresno Friday afternoon. Anyone have any suggestions for an interesting Fresno>Paso Robles route? By the way, in caps it's "LBPESQ".

Bill

#56 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

Well, I think Trevor is driving over to my place first ( I'm 1 min off Hwy 280 ), then we'll probably drive over to Erni's place ( about 3 exits down, and also a few minutes off Hwy 280 ), so for those on the east side of the bay if you don't mind crossing 92 over to 280, maybe we can designate a spot off the Portola Road exit ( there is a small "village" shop center area which surely must have a coffee shop.. technically it's the town of Ladera,I believe.. :unsure: ) just about 1/8 mile westbound once you take the exit. Perhaps we could all meet up there ? Thoughts ?

BTW, fingers crossed, looks like the weather should be turning to sunny skies starting next week - hope it lasts. B)

Edited by ds968, 26 March 2011 - 10:03 AM.

#57 red2erni

968 Forums Member

• Advocate
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • City:Portol Valley
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hi Gents

Dan bugged me awhile back and I responded with ten or fifteen Paso-s in a row. He replied, I left out Paso! SO ... I'm ready. But since Flash keeps picking Melissa's birthday weekend, it is not all in my capable hands as everyone knows by now. Two weather forecasts show a sunny last week of March - out to April 7 but increasing clouds April 8 and mostly cloudy April 9 which is the last day of the 15 day forecast. There is no rain in any of it, so we'll see if that front is held up or not.

Ever since M&I came back up Hwy. 25 last year (stopped at the Pinnacles National Monument) I'm entranced by 25 and particularly by the southern routes into Paso south of Nacimiento and the Big Sandy Wildlife Area. From Gilroy, you can see it is more nearly straight south on 25 through Hollster than going west on the 156 exchange to 101 and through Salinas. After Tres Pinos it is 968 country like no where else I know, grand slalom curves you can often see dozen stretching out up ahead, great road surface, very open farm country, almost no traffic in sither direction, almost no speed zones, constantly new mountain and valley vistas, every farm house and side road a millisecond day dream interrupted by the next set of S curves. The guy that said it was one of the 10 best couldn't have been far off, particularly in a 968 with the lovely 3-4 spacing on the Getrag at 90 mph in 3rd and three gears to go. From there down to Bitterwater it just gets faster and better, couple of rises probably good to be under the speed limit, but mostly many mile visibility for the long stretches and sweepers. At Bitterwater you can head back west to 101 at King City or continue south down through Vallerton and San Miguel, a stretch I missed last year going home. It looks like you can parallel 101 on the east side of the river all the way into Paso to 46 east and the hotel. WOW.

So I think you light the cigar in Gilroy and throw it out the window (just a phrase! just a phrase!!) after Tres Pinos when it is time to get serious. Dam it's good!

If I can, I'm going to tell my bummer of a boss I'm taking Friday off. I'd like to drive down on a week day, particularly if it's still sunny. I'll send him a post card! Might even be fun to spend the night at the Pinnicles. Sooooo... still in the planning stage, but me and Meliss are in. Gotta get the brakes done and a road check at Dave Modderman's shop in Mountain View.

Just for fun, you might like to look at;

<http://forums.vwvort...16-years-later>

Cheers all,
Erni

#58 PorscheG96

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • City:$F bay area

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

Erni, your description of 25 has me salivating and now I can't wait for the return trip on Sunday. Or the whisky on Saturday night. Or the wine tasting on Saturday. Or...oh man oh man oh man oh man. :)

#59 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

weather permitting, i am driving the blue car - i just got it back together yesterday, and there is plenty of time for the rest of the thing i am getting done to it

#60 ebarone968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • City:boonton
  • State:new jersey
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:50 AM

If anyone has a recommended route heading south from San Francisco that would be great. I will be hopefully on the road by 1PM Friday. Obviously trying to avoid some traffic......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.