• City:Wallingford
  • State:Connecticut
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

Saw this on craigslist a couple days ago. Only a couple hrs from me so i sent him an offer of 3k. I did not get a response. Looks like a theft recovery to me?

Edited by link517, 09 November 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#5 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Good job on the 3K offer...that'd be about right IMHO. I paid 3500 for my parts car and I'd have to say it was in a lot better shape than this one.

As Flash said, "poor car".

- Darryl

#6 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

If that car is worth $5500, mine is worth $30K!

#7 steve g

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • City:Aurora
  • State:IL
  • What year is your 968?:1994

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

someone please check this car out in person !

#8 benspeeder

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • City:Rockaway
  • State:NJ

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

I also spotted this on Craigs list and offered $4K for parts. I did get a reply that he'd also received an offer of $4.5 from somebody in Germany - good luck with that.

I am tempted to go look at it but then I'd buy it just to save the poor thing.

#9 link517

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • City:Wallingford
  • State:Connecticut
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:10 PM

LOL, from germany huh?

#10 steve g

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:34 PM

I thought this car looked familiar and was for sale a month earlier for $4500 and now it is for sale for $6500 so here is how what my exchange went with the seller:

Seller:
Here is the short version of the story - bought it about a month ago as a project from the second owner who had it since it had 20k miles in 2000. We are a p-car family and always wanted a late 94-95 6 speed coupe (owned numerous 911's and one 951). Car was not exactly what I was looking for (bought it anyway) realized that its not worth it for me and decided to sell. This is a great project/track car (as advertised) and if you are not looking for one of the two you should look for something else. I took care of numerous little things including the what is listed in the add (balance shaft belt/alternator/radiator) to make it a running and driving piece. Engine/drivetrain/suspension are in great shape, body is solid and straight (no rust/was garaged) interior with the exception of the two seats is in very good restorable condition (no radio). The short originated from the aftermarket alarm which was wired into the factory alarm. Everything with the exception of the power windows, rear wiper and factory alarm is now working. Would like to sell the car to an enthusiast that will enjoy it on the street or track - I think it is worth saving. If you have other questions let me know - if you are looking for one of the two mentioned above and have serious interest best thing is to see the car.

Me:
Did you buy the car from Norman Feurtado ?

Seller:
Yes I did buy a car from Norman... the car that I am selling has very little in common with it.

Me:
So you are saying that the car you are selling is not the same car ?

Seller:
If you are investigating the matter I can give you all the details of what has been done since it was towed out of Norman's garage - if your interest is in the car you can see it and formulate your own opinion. I have no interest in wasting anyones time especially my own.

Me:
My Question - Did you buy the car from Norman Feurtado ?
Your Answers - Yes I did buy a car from Norman... the car that I am selling has very little in common with it. If you are investigating the matter I can give you all the details of what has been done since it was towed out of Norman's garage - if your interest is in the car you can see it and formulate your own opinion.
The simple answer from you should have been - yes it is the same car.
The simple answer from me is - no I wont waste your time or mine anymore.

#11 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:43 AM

while clearly a case of semantics, i understand your point

as i read it, his point was that, while it is the same VIN number, the car he is selling is not the same car as he bought, just as the car i drive today, while the same VIN is not the same car as i bought - basically the guy feels that he went through and fixed everything that was messed up, making it a very different car than what he bought

if you weren't interested in the car, you probably would have gotten a straight answer if you had said so right away - this is exactly why i don't sell cars privately - i get too many people wasting my time by asking questions and such, when they really aren't serious about buying it - this only results in me getting cranky

people don't seem to realize that the last thing somebody selling a car wants to do is to talk about it - they either want to divorce themselves from it, or are forced into selling it, neither of which lend themselves to a warm fuzzy when talking about it

just goes to show varying perspectives

whether buying or selling, this is also why i don't do that kind of thing in writing, and instead i insist on doing it by phone after the first exchange - you get a lot better information, and a better sense of the other guy

#12 steve g

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:13 AM

Flash, I do see your point - it is hard being a long distance buyer these days.

The car is located in NJ and I am in IL but this weekend I am visiting family in NJ. I was hoping a fellow 968er would have seen it in person. Based on my inspection and another knowledgeable RLer's or 968er's impression, I would have strongly considered buying the car this weekend.

When buying a car in this condition - with stories, missing, door handle, soft dents on the body, trashed interior that looks (to me) like it was in a flood, maybe, no definately, it may be a stretch to think that I could reliably drive the car home to IL after buying it this weekend.

I got the impression from his reponse that he was trying to be tricky about whether this was the same car that I had looked at a month earlier when the previous owner was selling it for $4K. I was hoping to hear from him exactly what he did to the car albeit to warrant the $2K price change. Simply removing an aftermarket alarm wouldnt justify a $2K price change, in my opinion.

In the end, we are all car crazy.

Edited by steve g, 27 November 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#13 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

i completely agree that being vague or cagey was not in his best interests, as it could easily be misunderstood as hiding something - perhaps he is - who knows?

like i said, best way to find out is to ring him up

#14 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Steve,
Yeah, the guy who has it now is a flipper. The car was for sale on LI NY about a month ago from a different seller at $4K.
Jeff

#15 rl968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • City:Allentown
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

I don't know this car or the seller. If the engine and tranny are in good condition, the car should easily be worth 5k regardless of what the story is...yes?. There are a ton of parts in a car like this. I'm told these engines go for $5k and 121k on the odometer is nothing, assuming it's accurate (DMV and carfax can help with this.) A PPI with a compression test would tell you if the engine was still in good shape. If you want it as a daily driver, that might be a different story, but for a project or parts car, seems like a decent price.

#16 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • City:New York City
  • State:New York
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:13 AM

RL, this was my thinking...which is why i posted it. Would be a good parts car if someone picks it up for under 5K.

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:30 AM

lol - i've been seriously contemplating getting a warehouse, buying up all the wreck and dilapidated cars, and parting them out - i figure for about $100k i could set up a nice little business

as a sideline i could also restore those that could be made whole again, and sell them after they had been fully gone through - i even have a line on financing for the customers

now if only the 968 customer base had any money...................

#18 Fox944

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • City:New York City
  • State:New York

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

with 100K spent on parts cars, you could bring more then a few of those back to life with spare parts from others.

Edited by Fox944, 29 November 2010 - 11:37 AM.

#19 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

keep in mind this is all hypothetical

merely bringing them back to life isn't the idea - i would sell the used parts, other than the ones needed to rebuild something, but only using them when new ones weren't available - i'm not a fan of using used parts, but i recognize that others are fine with it, so why not provide that service?

the cars restored and sold would be fully restored - new interiors, new paint, new suspension - new brakes, new engine, yada yada - there would be no "add this - add that" to a used car and call it a day - the price tag would be high, and probably about $35k, but as i said, i have also hooked up financing so somebody could essentially buy a new 968

i still haven't made up my mind if i even want to get into this, as i had a shop before and swore not to do it again - this would be a bit different though, as i would not be doing any repair work

this is what happens when i have too much time on my hands

#20 T-Bone

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • City:Orange County
  • State:Ca

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

Not doing any repair work? Surely you are delusional... Much easier said than done for you! I admire your idealism but there is simply no way you could do that and not be talked into repair work. You simply want to help mankind too much...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.