• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • City:Charlotte
  • State:North Carolina
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

After 4 years of seller's remorse, I am about to buy my second 968 cab and get back into the fold. I'm heading down to Florida this week to view and hopefully purchase the car.

My first 968 was a 94 cab red exterior, tan interior. While I loved the car, I had other priorities at the time (new baby), and I was thinking red was a bit to bright for me.

My 'hopefull' next 968 is a 92 cab, black exterior, grey interior with a few modifications. The pictures I have been given are good, but pictures never really tell the story. So I'm taking a flight down there this week for a first hand look. I'm not expecting perfection, but hopfully nothing that I can't sort out with a little time and elbow grease. If all checks out, I'll be driving her back on Wednesday.

I do have a question on purchasing a vehicle from Florida (I am in NC). The seller has a clear title with his signature. What will I need to take to the Flordida DMV to obtain a temporary tag which would allow me to drive it back to North Carolina? It is just the signed title and something from my insurance company indicating that I have insurance to cover the vehicle? I know in NC, you also need a separate odometer validation sheet, but I'm not sure exactly how it works in FL to get a temporary tag. Anyone that can provide some insight?

The FL DMV sight was not very helpful, I plan on giving them a call directly tomorrow when they open.

Thanks
Chris

#2 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:43 AM

Hey Chris, good luck. You may want to get the temp plate in your state and take it with you??? Now that your family is growing you may want to consider the 968 cab rear seat conversion. I had done this with my car but took it another step further recently when i purchased a rear seat from a 944 cab. It fit perfect, has a cleaner look then the open carpets, and even the seat pattern matches my seats. The lap belts install easy enough.

Hey, is the car you are going to look at on eBay? If so, that is a nice one. One of only 7 with that paint/interior/top combo and it has LSD!!!
Jeff

Edited by jeff968, 04 October 2010 - 05:02 AM.

#3 968Z

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • City:Cumming....No Joke!
  • State:GA
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

If the car is already tagged, you can drive it back to NC with that tag on it, and turn it in when you get your new tag. Just be sure to have a copy of the title and the bill of sale with you.

#4 chudson

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • City:Mount Pleasant
  • State:South Carolina
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Let me give you the best advice anyone can. I am a licensed SC car dealer. In SC the tag is assigned to the individual and CAN BE transfered to any vehicle that person purchases. There are other states where the tag is assigned to the vehicle and IS NEVER transfered to another vehicle. If Flordia is like SC the present owner of this car CANNOT let you drive off on his tag unless he is willing for the car to stay in his name (and under his insurance) until you get it transfered in NC. Then the tag will have to be returned to him as the Fla DMV is going to demand the tag back as soon as insurance is cancelled. State to state purchases between individuals are difficult to pull off "legally". The suggestion someone made of a temp tag issued by NC DMV is correct, but in SC you cannot be issued one without title and transfer papers in hand AND PRESENTED to the DMV. My advise is to visit your local DMV (don't call), ask for the supervisor (I have actually had to correct DMV clerks before because I knew more than them) and let supervisor tell you what to do. Record their name and position in case they screw you over. Get caught with improper registration / tags / proof of insurance and a highway trooper WILL have your new love TOWED to an impound lot and possibly leave you standing beside the road. It happened to the husband of a former employee who was "smarter" than me and didn't heed my advice (which comes from 40 years of experience). It cost them hundreds of dollars to clean up and get the car back.

#5 968gene

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • City:Mooresville
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

What he said....

#6 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.

Drove the car back from Florida this morning without incident (600miles smile.gif). It was a much easier process than expected to get a temporary tag. All I needed was the FL title, proof of insurance, and some cash to pay sales tax. Very good experiece, and the seller was fantastic, lots of books, records, and extras that I didn't expect.

My next few weeks will be getting a better feel for the car and doing some cleanup and minor cosmetics. I'll be browsing the boards heavily again, as this 968 has some of the same minor quirks as my last one. Easy stuff to work out, just takes a little time.

#7 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:21 AM

Jeff,
Yes, it was for sale on eBay. I figured I would circumvent the whole bidding process and work direclty with the seller. It was the color combo I wanted, and I really like the custom seat coverings. It worked out well for both of us.

Car info is below. Any other tid bits you have in your database would be appreciated. I haven't looked for the option codes yet, can the option codes be deciphered from the VIN, or are they totally independant?

Thanks

Year: 1992
Make: Porsche
Model: 968
VIN#: WP0CA2960NS840188

#8 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:46 AM

Chris,
Congrats!!!

I thought you were getting this black cab in Florida:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Strange there were 2 of them for sale. As for yours:

128th 968 cab produced for North American market (of 2,008).
1 of 14 cabs with A1 black paint, a V9 black top, and a TS black and light gray partial leather interior.
Options include partial leather and a full power driver's seat (code 437).

Your car is so early with an October 1991 build that it should have the recessed hood badge and the larger squared off rear emblems. Are they still there?

Post some pics.

Jeff

#9 Ceenit

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info. Yes it does have the recessed badge.

I'll have to take note of the squared off rear emplems you referred to, I didn't pay attention to that (where exacly would this one be?). I dont' recall emblems on that back of any '92 cabs I have seen, but maybe I am not thinking of the correct emblem. .

#10 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

"Thanks for the info. Yes it does have the recessed badge.

I'll have to take note of the squared off rear emplems you referred to, I didn't pay attention to that (where exacly would this one be?). I dont' recall emblems on that back of any '92 cabs I have seen, but maybe I am not thinking of the correct emblem. .
"

Here is a good shot of the rear emblem. Porsche went to the standard emblem by Novenber of 1991 so only the first hundred or so have them.
Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.