• City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

It's getting time to start planning the event for this year. Once again we will descend upon Paso Robles for some great wine tasting and 968 "what-not".

I think the 2 day idea was a huge success. It really opened up the day. I'll make similar arrangements for the hotel again this year. That seemed to work out very well (except for those who got separated from the group and got lost). I plan to add more features to the event, and really round it out too. We will be going to some different wineries than before, just to mix things up and keep it fresh.

I am also going to be setting a small fee so that we can take care of the arrangements and expenses at the wineries ahead of time and not have to deal with it that day. Everybody will go home with something special though. I'll fill everybody in on that later.

This is a wine event. While we certainly welcome anybody, please be clear that the reason we are going to this partcular location is to taste wine. The wineries will make special arrangements for us, well above and beyond what they normally do, but they do expect a certain amount of resultant sales. There is no specific requirement that anybody buy anything, but just keep in mind that it spreads good will to buy a bottle or two here or there (assuming you find something you like).

Hopefully this year we won't get stuck in the parking lot trying to break into a car, thereby costing us the opportunity for a Sunday morning Fun Run.

I am looking at early April this year. I want to beat the heat. Also, we need to avoid the graduations and festivals. I'd do it in March, but I have too much on my plate, and we could hit rain at that early point. Post Easter sounds good. I'll let everybody know what the date is as soon as I confirm it, but right now I am looking at April 10/11. It might be the following weekend, but that makes it pretty dicey with my Hershey prep, so probably not.

I am putting this up this early so as to give people a chance to get their cars together. We saw too many problems last year due to ignored or delayed maintenance. Don't let that happen. Get it done now.

More details to follow.

#2 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,728 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Paso Robles wine is getting pretty expensive, last year the trip cost me about $ 6,000... dry.gif

So folks, make sure at least your timing & balance belts are not too old - aged rubber does not seem to do very well going from 105 daytime temps to 30s nightime and back again to 100s the next day... mad.gif

#3 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hey, I said I was sorry wink.gif And it gave you a chance to show off your, ehem, skills.

I ended up spending a boat load at Bevmo on 23 Dec to spread some cheer at work. As I was checking out I thought - next year everyone gets Tobin James.

#4 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

lol - no worries - had we have gone on the run, i think we might have had much more serious problems - remember that i too had popped a belt - nursing that along on a fun run would have sucked

#5 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

i won't be able to confirm the date until after feb 7th - no problems seen yet, and no conflicts with local events, but waiting on confirmation anyway

#6 josephsc

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Crap -- my wife bought ballet tickets!
Double crap -- it's on that weekend!

I'll see what I can do about avoiding men in tights and women in tutu's....

#7 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

lol - yeah - that seems like a moral imperative

#8 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

heck, if i knew you guys were trying to avoid tights and tutus I would not have gone to the trouble of ordering all of us sports-inspired coordinated outfits for the event..

Attached File  blades_of_glory_movie.jpg   28.4KB   0 downloads

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

confirmed - it will be april 10/11

more details to follow

#10 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

penciled in. smile.gif

#11 Lord_Galva

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • City:SoCal
  • State:California
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

Its been awhile, so I'll heavily consider going this year.

#12 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:22 AM

i'm scouting hotels later today, and making the arrangements at all the wineries over the next few days

i'll post the costs and such VERY soon - as i said earlier, there will be a small fee this year for everyone, so as to keep the wineries happy (sometimes they can get a little up tight when our unruly group shows up)- we're gong to different wineries this year too, so that plays into it as well

this year will be a bit different - we will be more focused on the wine on saturday, and other than a single group shot at the first stop, we won't be hanging around the cars during the day - we'll move from winery to winery, and then off to dinner - off to the hotel after that - sunday will bring about the fun run

we're only 5 weeks away, so look for details in the next few days

#13 bva

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • City:Santa Barbara
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

i'd be happy to host the saturday nightcap reception again with another single malt tasting (and a cazadores bottle for dan)

count me in.

#14 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

i'm making the arrangements and wanted to query those interested about hotels

last year we stayed at the cambria castle inn - nothing to write home about, but it was a good location - it was nice to wake up to the waves, and had we have gone on the fun run, we would have had a good launching point - the breakfast spot was great too - the drive saturday night was a bit rough though, and i'm not sure that's such a good idea again

we can stay in town, but it will be very hard to put everybody in one place, and if we did, it certainly will cost more

thoughts?

this year we will be operating differently - there will be a fee - this fee will include lunch, as well as the tasting fees and such - i'm working on the numbers now and will have them in the next day or two

we will start off at Robert Hall at noon where we will rendezvous, have lunch, and begin our tasting (they have an amazing meritage)

we will then move on to 2 other wineries i am still working on

we will end up at Tobin James for our final tasting, and then it's off to dinner

sunday will start with breakfast, and then off to a fun run through the hills

i need to get a real head count now though, as this is only 4 weeks away (can you believe it?)

#15 Chris Vais

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • City:Santa Rosa
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

I'm in for sure.

When you say "staying in town" are you refering to Paso? I would tend to agree that the run out to Cambria, from Paso after an afternoon of wine tasting and wine with dinner might be a bit too much. The last time I was down at my job site in Morro Bay, I stayed at the La Quinta Inn that is on the east side of 101 just off of Hwy 46. I think the rate was very good about a $100/night.

#16 bva

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • City:Santa Barbara
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

castle inn was quaint and adequate. i dont mind the driving, but either way (cambria or paso) is cool with me.

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

the more i think about it, the more i'm inclined to find something in paso robles or very near, just to simplify things and take some stress off the end of the evening - i'll see what i can find - likely though it will mean people scattered about a bit, as i doubt i can find anything in town with both enough rooms, and rates that work for everybody

more info this weekend

#18 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,728 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

I'll send out some emails ( to those NorCal folks who have not posted here yet ) and try to get a headcount.

I'd prefer a hotel in or very near town, and frankly if that costs $ 175 instead of the $ 100 twenty miles away, I'd rather
pay more than having to trek even further away from where most of our "action" will be..

#19 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

We did not partake in the tastings and so the run down teh hill after dinner was not too much for me. Actually enjoyed it imensly - the lights were great and the cool air in the cab was very nice.

The breakfast near the inn was outstanding - don't underestimate that.

I'm cool either way though.

Unfortunately I won't be able to commit until very close the date. The 10th looks like it's in the middle of the migraine zone, and that did not work out so well last year. Hoping to make it, obviously.

#20 mrmister

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • City:San Francisco
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

Man, 2 cracks at me in that first post tongue.gif . I was the guy that got lost, and the guy with the keys locked in the car. I don't think this was a coincidence. Dan saw my nice new belts at the first winery and told Bob to make U-turn after U-turn to try and lose me. After I clearly demonstrated superior driving skills and kept up with the group, a call was made to a truck driver to cut me off and block my view while everyone quickly drove down a side road. I almost died out there in the heat but my survival instinct kicked in and I was able to follow the trail of ATF to the restaurant. Bob and Dan being the determined type of guys they are came up with another scheme the next morning. With everyone around they asked to hear my exhaust with the fancy RSBarn setup. Then out of nowhere someone hits the locks and slams the driver door. I saw Bob out of the corner of my eye giving some sort of signal and mouthing "GO GO GO!". Luckily the lulling grumble of the exhaust kept the masses milling about the parking lot. Bob decided the only way to get himself out of this mess was to engineer another product. The Design 1 hatch popper was born saving multiple pounds off the stock mechanism. Only a 1 off because of the 14 people who said they were for sure on the group buy, only 4 ponied up the cash.

biggrin.gif Just messing around. I might be out of town for work, but I wouldn't mind popping down again to see what you guys schemed up this year.

P.S. My air bag light is still on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.