• PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • City:Alameda
  • State:CA
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Greetings everyone,

I am new to these forums, and I am hoping that you folks could supply me with some buying advise. I am looking at purchasing a Porsche. Currently I've got my eye on two cars:

Car A: Black ext/Grey int 1988 944 Turbo S. A very rare car that looks to be lovingly maintained by its current owner. Very few of this model were made and fewer of this color cominbation.

Car B: Black/Black 1995 968 coupe. Front bumper and hood have some chipping from pebbles on the freeway otherwise a clean well maintained vehicle. I don't have to say much for you folks to understand the rarity and value of this vehicle.

Both vehicles have comparable mileage and price. As for personal preference I'd rather not have a black interior, but I certainly could live with it provided the AC functions. I do like the slightly more curvy lines and look for the 968, but I'd probably still be grinning ear to ear driving in either one. I realize this is a 968 group, but I'm sure many of you know a thing or two about 944s as well.

What are your thoughts on these two cars? Which would have longer term value from a collectors viewpoint? Which would be easier/cheaper to maintain? Any suggestions for what I should check as I go view these cars in person? My main reference for Porsches (my father) has owned many 911s and 356s, but he self admittedly knows nothing about the 924/928/944/968 lines.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

-J

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

lots to consider - planning on selling it? tracking it? what options do they have? what suspensions?

age of rubber plays in heavily here - every bushing, hose, and belt is in question - how well has that been maintained?

wheels could be an issue - i'd listen to rattles and squeaks - look at the interior of each and see if you're happy with the condition

they are very different cars, and the power band is completely different - consequently you drive them differently - the turbo will have the option of more power, albeit in a spikier curve, whereas the 968 will be torquier and more civilized

6 spd vs 5

even stereo options are different

lots to consider

#3 xrad

968 Forums Fanatic

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • City:NE
  • State:Ohio
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

Get the turbo if you want easy upgrade for more power. Also, many suppliers of parts 951 engine.

However, 968 has a few worthy mechanical upgrades like timing belt tensioner, transaxle.

I like the look of the 951 front end and the 968 rear end.

Best would be to buy both and mix and match to make the best car.... :)

#4 unknown4u

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • City:Utrecht
  • State:Utrecht

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

I prefer the more modern looks a 968 instead of the "outdated looks " of a 944............

#5 DaveN

968 Forums Addict

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • City:Campbell River
  • State:British Columbia
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Greetings everyone,

I am new to these forums, and I am hoping that you folks could supply me with some buying advise. I am looking at purchasing a Porsche. Currently I've got my eye on two cars:

Car A: Black ext/Grey int 1988 944 Turbo S. A very rare car that looks to be lovingly maintained by its current owner. Very few of this model were made and fewer of this color cominbation.

Car B: Black/Black 1995 968 coupe. Front bumper and hood have some chipping from pebbles on the freeway otherwise a clean well maintained vehicle. I don't have to say much for you folks to understand the rarity and value of this vehicle.

Both vehicles have comparable mileage and price. As for personal preference I'd rather not have a black interior, but I certainly could live with it provided the AC functions. I do like the slightly more curvy lines and look for the 968, but I'd probably still be grinning ear to ear driving in either one. I realize this is a 968 group, but I'm sure many of you know a thing or two about 944s as well.

What are your thoughts on these two cars? Which would have longer term value from a collectors viewpoint? Which would be easier/cheaper to maintain? Any suggestions for what I should check as I go view these cars in person? My main reference for Porsches (my father) has owned many 911s and 356s, but he self admittedly knows nothing about the 924/928/944/968 lines.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

-J

From a strictly empirical point of view I would choose the 968. I have owned an 87' 944 and currently drive a 89' 944 S2 and a 93' 968. They are light night and day with respect to driving experience. The 968 is hands down a better drive IMHO. I do agree that the parts supply and mods are very limited with the 968 but I do take comfort in knowing Porsche did almost everything they could to squeeze out the horsies and it was included in the purchase price. I, for one, would not look forward to turbo problems either as they (951's) are more finicky.

I fell in love with the 951 front end so that is why I have an S2. I have the looks and I'm turbo free. Never did like the 968 front end with it's bug eyes but now that I have one it has grown all over me - what was I thinking!

Longer term I think the 968 is a better bet. Only 12,500+ so made and it's components and build quality are much improved. You can even say yo have a real Porsche as it was made in ZF unlike the 944 series :~)

#6 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • City:around
  • State:Md.

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

I have both, the turbo requires lots more attention.

#7 josephsc

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

Get one of each... and a 968 cab to round out your fleet.

Personally, if rarity and maintenance are primary concerns, I'd go with the 968 -- but shop around for the color combo you'll enjoy, The 951S might be rare -- but doesn't FEEL rare because all '89 951 are really 951S, and earlier 951 can easily be modded to be of comparable or greater performance. And they are visually identical to the S2 as well (and visually identical to 944na to the untrained eye).

The 951S also has heck of a lot pipe and things that can break -- especially under boost...

But the there's the appeal of the boost....

Edited by josephsc, 27 October 2008 - 04:59 PM.

#8 RaisedOnPorsches

968 Forums Rookie

• Rookie
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:10 PM

Well thanks everyone for your feedback thus far. It sounds like there are some good reasons why even the rarer 944s stay so cheap relative to other Porsches. At this point I am reconsidering my options.

My spending cap is $15k. Of those two cars that I mentioned Car A is $8500 obo and Car B is $8995. Currently there are only two or three 968s in my area for sale with 5-speed transmissions. I am sure if I'm patient enough more will surface. If my father has his way he'll have me buying a 80's 911 Carrera.

Ultimately I want a Porsche that will be fun to drive around town, on weekends, and on short getaways. Maintenance costs are a significant issue because I plan to return to the graduate school in the nearer future and I know my finances will be tighter then. I don't expect to put a lot of miles on the car per year (~3000/yr max). I also don't expect to get too carried away with modifying and upgrading my car, but who knows if I stick around this forum for very long that might change.

Believe it or not, I don't need a concourse winner or a barely street legal rocket ship. I would like a car that will maintain if not increase in value over the next six or seven years. With that said I am buying the car to enjoy and to have fun with, not with the intent of "investing" in it for early retirement.

Thanks again for your advice.

-J

#9 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:27 AM

Get the 968, you will not regret it. Very relieable once the sorted.
Make sure to have a PPI done.
A car that has been unmaintained will kill all the enjoyment, regardless of which you choose.

#10 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:53 AM

now is definitely a good time to buy - prices are low - however, beware of a price that is too low - be on the lookout for old rubber, hinky cooling systems, spongy suspensions, and leaks - those things can cost money

with 15k in the budget, at 8k plus, it leaves you a lot for repair though - i would think you could get a 968 sorted out for that - no telling with a turbocharged car that is that much older, but maybe

#11 biotechee

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • City:Plumsteadville
  • State:PA
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:02 AM

968 all the way. My opinion would be for a late 94 or 95 just to get the updated 993 seats in lieu of the standard 911/944 seats (stitching pattern is different).

I'm on my second 968 and I had 2 944's before my first 968 (1995 M030). 1988 944S and 1991 944S2. Neither was a turbo though, so I can't comment about having a "boost addiction". All things being equal, the 968 should be a more robust car. Certainly a better daily driver too. The design of the 944 was always one that I liked. The updated design of the 968 is one I love. Still looks current to this day. It is a damn good looking car and performs very well given its age.

No matter what, buy the best maintained example you can- your wallet will be the better for it.

#12 mikeo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • City:Longwood
  • State:FL

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:03 AM

Get the 968. I've had a cab, the coupe (now turbocharged), and an '88 turbo S. For the street and touring the stock 968 is the best. The caveat is that the car must be up to date maintenance wise.

#13 Lord_Galva

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • City:SoCal
  • State:California
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:04 AM

I just noticed that you are in the SF area. :rolleyes:

There are a hand full of us either near by or living in the city.

If you are planning on going for a test drive or want a second opinion before shelling out $100 for a PPI. Just ask.

I'm sure someone will have the availibility to help out.

And if I have time I'll drive out from Vacaville to lend a hand. :)

#14 matti

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • City:Espoo
  • State:Finland

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:58 AM

Get one of each... and a 968 cab to round out your fleet.

Personally, if rarity and maintenance are primary concerns, I'd go with the 968 -- but shop around for the color combo you'll enjoy, The 951S might be rare -- but doesn't FEEL rare because all '89 951 are really 951S, and earlier 951 can easily be modded to be of comparable or greater performance. And they are visually identical to the S2 as well (and visually identical to 944na to the untrained eye).

The 951S also has heck of a lot pipe and things that can break -- especially under boost...

But the there's the appeal of the boost....

IMHO, if you think of the porsche value, 951S stands for more valuable in Porsche collection than stock 968.
Production nbr's for these cars were low, which increases it's price later on. don't have any experience of maintentenace and driveability of 951s's though, and like the handling and characteristics of bot chassis, steering, and engine of 968.

#15 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:36 AM

use the PPI forms here on the site, and take it to somebody who knows these cars - do not assume that the dealership does - they likely have not seen one in a long time

#16 PorscheDude

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:52 AM

These cars (951S 968) are years from going up in value.

IMHO, Do not look at it as an "investment" reality is more like "uninvestment"
Buy one and drive it.

IMHO the 968 will be far easier to maintain.

#17 RaisedOnPorsches

968 Forums Rookie

• Rookie
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:40 AM

I just noticed that you are in the SF area. :rolleyes:

There are a hand full of us either near by or living in the city.

If you are planning on going for a test drive or want a second opinion before shelling out $100 for a PPI. Just ask.

I'm sure someone will have the availibility to help out.

And if I have time I'll drive out from Vacaville to lend a hand. :)

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, and thank you Rich for the kind offer of assistance.

As of right now I am thinking I want to stick with a newer lower maintenance vehicle because realistically I buying a low use primary car and not a secondary collectors car (I already have one of those). I have decided against the 944. My current considerations are more along the lines of these:

Porsche 968 vs. Porsche Boxster ('99-'01) vs. BMW 330Ci ('01-'03).

As I mentioned earlier I have a limit of $15k (really $13.5 after factoring in sales tax) on the car. I am going to take a look at and drive one of each of these cars this weekend to get a better feeling for it. Right now I am used to driving a rear-engine car so all three of these options will be "different" for me.

If anyone could point me to a decent "true cost to own calculator" for these sorts of vehicles I'd appreciate it!

-J

#18 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

given those limitations, i think i would go with the bimmer - not nearly as fun, but a whole lot more practical

#19 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

Currently there are only two or three 968s in my area for sale with 5-speed transmissions. I

Remember, all manual transmission 968s are 6 speeds. I do think that the 968 will be a future collectible. It has all the attributes for a collectible. We'll have to wait an see.

#20 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

yeah - maybe - a long way off though - it takes about 30 years for a car to become "collectable" to the point of significant appreciation - probably won't even have gas available by then - definitely not a consideration if you want to drive the car

i bought it because it was an inexpensive toy to play with - i never had intentions of it ever appreciating - lol - i have not been disapponted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.