• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • City:Hershey
  • State:PA
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

I am pleased to invite all PCA members, and their guests, to join us at the PCA 968 Celebration in Hershey, Pa on Friday, April 27 and Saturday, April 28, 2007.

All details, and pictures from previous Celebrations, can be found at our new PCA 968 Register website at:

www.968register.org

We are anticipating 100 968s this year (we had 60 cars at both 2003 and 2004 events) and will cap the event at 125 cars (whether you need a room or not). So, check out the new website, sign up to be a PCA 968 Register member (we currently have 171 owner members and 181 cars - there is no charge to join because you are a PCA member) and mail in your Registration form. If you are not a PCA member yet, you can join at www.pca.org and then join the 968 Register once you have received your membership number.

Hope to see you there.

Don "redbaron" Hassenbein :)
PCA 968 Register Advocate

p.s. Check your Sept 2002 issues of both Panorama and Excellence for articles on the 968 Celebration that year.

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

i am coming

#3 happysails2you

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

Don, thanks a million for all your hard work to put the 968 Celebration together! For those of us newbies, can you also post info about what we need to do if we plan to participate in both the 968 Celebration and the PCA swap meet? Examples: Do we need to register separately for the Hershey Swap Meet? Not sure what overlaps in the agendas are, where/how concours or general display areas are, etc. Thanks for your guidance! Also, please contact me if I can assist you since I'm sure it's a lot of work to put this together.

I'm hoping that we have a strong turnout and lots of 968's there!

#4 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

Kathy,

With only 6 1/2 weeks remaining, I thought it might be a good idea to give an update of the 968 Celebration for all Forum members. We currently have 33 registrants with 7 more having sent theirs. If you have checked our website at www.968register.org , under the Celebrations icon you will see pictures of previous Celebrations held. The Celebration in Hershey (April 27 and 28th) is in conjunction with the Central Pa Region of PCA and is concurrent with their Swap Meet (April 28th), the largest Porsche (1500 last year) gathering in the world.

If you still want to join us, there are 2 critical dates to keep in mind:
- Friday, March 30 at noon EST, for those needing a hotel room - this is the day I turn in the money and turn back and unused hotel rooms. I will not have any hotel rooms available after this date.
- Friday, April 20 for those not needing a hotel room - this is the day I will close off registrations for the 968 Celebration.

So, if you are already one of our 195 PCA 968 Register members, you just have to pull the registration form off the above mentioned website and mail it, with your check, to me. If you are not yet a PCA Register member, let me know at dhassenbein@comcast.net and I will send you a 968 Register Application. Once you are a Register member, you can then fill out the 968 Celebration Registration. The high point for this year's event is the first of only 4 made - the super rare 968 Turbo RS! I personally have never seen one and I am looking forward to it.

The clock is ticking, hope to see you there!

Don Hassenbein :blink:
tel 717-838-6307

#5 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

;)

Don, thanks a million for all your hard work to put the 968 Celebration together! For those of us newbies, can you also post info about what we need to do if we plan to participate in both the 968 Celebration and the PCA swap meet? Examples: Do we need to register separately for the Hershey Swap Meet? Not sure what overlaps in the agendas are, where/how concours or general display areas are, etc. Thanks for your guidance! Also, please contact me if I can assist you since I'm sure it's a lot of work to put this together.

I'm hoping that we have a strong turnout and lots of 968's there!

Hello, Did Don get back to you about the schedule for Swap meet concours and 968 Celebration? I wanted to know the same things you asked I would like to enter both but I am not sure of the times are compatable. Thanks

#6 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

See if this helps your understanding of events/schedule:
Friday. April 27. 2007 (at the hotel private parking lot)
- Car Clean Up (hoses and water will be provided by the hotel)
- Concours event (Judging starts promptly at 2pm. There will be signs available for those owners to post on their windshields who do not want their cars judged but would like to display their cars with the group). We will again have a “winner’s circle” for those cars which have won 1st place Coupe, Cabriolet or Modified in previous Celebrations (yes, we have records). This gives everyone a fair chance at winning a beautiful award.
- Tech Quiz
- Tech Session
- 968 Memorabilia sharing (bring your literature, models, etc)
- Awards Buffet (12 awards will be given out for; Farthest Distance, Most Miles, Least Miles, 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners in Coupe category, 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in Cabriolet category, Most Modified Coupe, Most Modified Cabriolet and Tech quiz winner)

Saturday. April 28. 2007
- Group Breakfast at the Hotel (order from the menu)
- Spouse Activities (lots of things to see and do in the area while the Porsche fans are at the Swap Meet)
- Driving Tour/Caravan to the Porsche Only Swap Meet
- Group Preferred Space Parking
- Swap Meet Peoples Choice Option
- Perusing Swap Meet rare Porsche parts
- Antique Automobile Club of America Museum Tour (www.aacamuseum.org)
- Optional 968 Finish Line Dinner – or departure for home
- Close of 968 Celebration Events

#7 happysails2you

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Don and Anchorman, for clarifying and for posting the agenda. And Don, a special thanks for all your hard work to put this together!!!

From what Don tells me and from the agenda above, there's actually not an overlap on the two events. Our 968 Celebration and our own 968 concours/seminars/awards buffet occur on Friday at our hotel. Registration for our 968 day is handled by Don. The Saturday events are the standard PCA swap meet; we'll caravan from the hotel to get there, then we can park in a general 968 parking area OR register onsite for the PCA concours (so there are two concourses that weekend, twice the chance to win!). For the PCA Saturday event, no upfront registration needed, no fee (except the $10 onsite if entering in the PCA Sat. concours). Sat. afternoon, we have our optional museum tour and dinner for the 968ers.

Should be a great time -- hope everyone beats the drums on this and other 968/Porsche forums to drive up our 968 attendance....wouldn't it be fun to have a strong show of force for our 911, Boxster, and other friends who've written us off? ;)

#8 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

Anchorman and Kathy,

I could not have said it better, thanks for answering questions about the Celebration.

Right now, my best guess is final count somewhere between 45 and 55 registrants, which is unforunate since my personal goal was 100 cars in order to match the 100th Anniversary of the Hershey Kiss!!!! Oh well, we may not be able to get the Excellence article without the 100 cars B) but the Panorama article ;) is a go. The highlight this year will be we those rare 968 Turbo RS and Turbo S (owned by Matt Drendel and Pete Fitzpatrick) for all of us to oogle over. :D

For those who have never attended the Central Pa Swap Meet, it is a goldmine for rare parts. The founder of this website, Erik Sandoval, scored big on parts when he and Trevor Ridgley attended the 2003 968 Celebration and Swap Meet events. B)

If anyone is still on the fence and wants to attend, contact me at dhassenbein@comcast.net or go to the website at www.968register.org and check the pictures from the previous Celebrations. Please keep in mind, no hotel rooms will be available if I have not received your Registration form and check by Friday, March 30 (only 12 days from now!)

Don :D

#9 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

got my room - registration stuff on its way to you

just ordered a custom built enclosed trailer just for the event (ok, so i've been wanting one and i'll use it for other events too)

anyway, i'm looking forward to it (though not so much the incredibly long drive if i have to do it alone)

#10 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

great, glad to hear you got your hotel issue resolved.

anyone else out there sending me your registration (Larry Currie, Ralph Moore and others?) B)

#11 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Ooops, somebody sent me a special message on this forum with a question on the 968 Celebration. Before I realized it, the message was gone. :D Could you please repost or send your question directly to me at dhassenbein@comcast.net Thanks!

Don :)

#12 RS Barn

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

I will be there for Friday's events and Swap meet on Saturday. I will have lots of 968 Stuff available at Swap meet. If anybody has any specific needs please let me know prior to events
Pete

\

#13 Eric_K

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • City:Woodinville
  • State:WA

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:48 AM

just ordered a custom built enclosed trailer just for the event

Damn, that will be a long, expensive tow. You'll probably have to stop every 250 miles for gas too. Wouldn't shipping the car be easier?

#14 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

lol - thought about it - perhaps, though i have not had the best experience with the timing of these things

i will have to stop every 250 miles or so - it will be quite the adventure for sure, but i'm going to take my time and enjoy it

#15 RPM

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • City:Apex
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

Don - My decision to go or not will have to be made later in April. Unfortunately just lots of irons in the fire. I am planning to go - just don't know if I will be able to or not. :lol:

#16 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

Ralph,

I understand. Normally, I would have a place to crash here at our house but we now have 2 grand children and our daughter living with us, so my flexibility is gone :( . After the hotel cut off date, it will be difficult to get a room but it would worth a try. Let me know as soon as you know.

P.S. Don't forget Turbo RS #1 and Turbo S #10 will be there! What are the odds of seeing these 2 rare cars together in one spot? :blink:

Note to Flash: I drove 5000 miles (southern route 40) in 17 days (Hershey-Las Vegas-Phoenix-Graceland-Hershey) with our Prius Hybrid and found 475 to 515 a good daily mileage average. You are right, if you have time, take your time.

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

yeah - i'll do at least 1000 per day - done it a few times now - no big deal - 16 hrs of driving a day - i'm figuring, like 2 years ago, denver the first night (if i take the northern route) and somewhere in the midwest night number 2 - not the same coast to coast dash i've done in a much hotter car, but it will be an adventure nonetheless

#18 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

Latest news,

Good chance that we will also have a rare Club Sport at the Celebration. Will keep you all posted.

Don

#19 csc71

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:38 AM

I am hoping someone will teach me how to insert one of those cool avitars at the Celebration!! My photos are too big!

Steve

#20 redbaron

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

As you know, the cutoff date for hotel rooms was today :(

But, I am still getting calls and emails from 968 Register members and non PCA members (contact me for info on how to handle) who want to join us ;) So, I called the Holiday Inn and my contact granted an extension of the hotel room cut off to Tuesday, April 3, after mail delivery :P . At 3pm that day I turn over all the hotel funds and turn back any unsold rooms.

So, if you get your registration form and check to me by April 3 mail delivery, you have a room for the 968 Celebration and the Swap Meet! ;)

If you do not need a hotel room, I will be giving the final count for the Friday night Awards Dinner on Tuesday, April 24, after mail delivery, so you have until then to join us. :)

Hope to see you in Hershey on April 27th and 28th at our Celebration and the Swap Meet.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.