FYI... http://cgi.ebay.com/...8&category=6435

#2 Virgo_Quinn

968 Forums Member

• Rookie
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:15 PM

Wow....

I can only hope (pray for me) that when I'm ready to marry a 968 (did I say that?)
I find one as perfect as this one. It doesnt sting quite as much since Im a coupe guy...but what a classic color combo - dark blue/grey. Thats actually the first time I've seen good high res pics of the grey interior option...looks sweet.

Still...no reason I wouldnt do a PPI. Sure, likely a mechanic will laugh as as he hands you back a blank sheet, but it could have the rear pinion problem. And you never know - mabye its a rolled back odometer with a mint interior. Unlikely? Very, but better safe than sorry.

Regardless of what it goes for (it'll be interesting to see) that'll likely be one very, very happy new 968 owner.

(btw that emoticon at the top of my post is envy-green, not something-you-ate green)

#3 Greimann

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • City:huntington beach
  • State:california
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:45 PM

Actually, a severly low mile car like that is going to have a lot of issues. A complex machine like a car needs to be exercised to keep the linkages loose and free of corrosion, and the seals moist to retain all of the bodily fluids.

Right off the bat the car will need a belt job, maybe even water pump , and fllush and fill of all the fluids. Hopefully the brakes and seals are OK, as well as the air conditioning system seals, otherwise there is major service due to replace those too.

The paint and interior should be immaculate and could be a good car for the savvy buyer. Certainly woulld be 100% stock and a concourse winner for sure.

#4 Virgo_Quinn

968 Forums Member

• Rookie
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:23 PM

Hehe, in my excitement I forgot that this car could have just been rolled out of storage, and possibly hasnt been driven since 1993 hehe...a PPI would tell you if the 1 owner gave it "excercise" (good word hehe) or let it rot in some humid public storage locker.

What's everybody's opinion of getting a 968 (or other P-cars) on ebay? I've been to pubic and dealer auctions - the format works well enough, but the cars are immediately available for inspection, an inspection thats almost inherently conditional upon sale, unless theyres some kinda of guarantee, and Ebay isnt usually of much help unless their ass is somehow on the line. Some ebay sellers demand non-refundable deposits 48 hours after the auction closes, which is possibly not enough time to arrange a PPI. I know some people take the chance - and ebay can produce some amazing deals sometimes - but Ive seen and heard enough to make me leery of it. Unless you find a deal thats just too good to be true...but then again, it likely is hehe. It also seems that the closing prices of most of them are either at or very near the book market value of these cars, or the price of many private or dealer sales. Ideally Id like to get a good, honest price from somebody who says; "here are the..sob...keys...boohoohoo take care of...waaaa!"

P.S. Greimann you have a PM.

#5 SANDOVAL

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:33 PM

you will find a handful of guys here that have purchased their 968 on Ebay. Follow the same rules as purchasing through auto trader. Have someone look at the car, get an independent PPI done, but from someone with excellent feedback. Most of the cars that are advertised on ebay don't sell on ebay. They either sell outside of ebay or they don't meet the sellers reserve/seller ends the auction early because the NR auction is not near the price they want to sell the car. I view ebay as a place to advertise just like the Autotrader. Since these cars are so rare you are going to have a hard time finding THE car that you want near you. So if are serious about a car let everyone know where the car is located and you might get a member to go out and check it out. I have heard guys driving 2 hours to go check out a car for other members. Hell Bob took a flight with a member to check out a car. Don't let the distance scare you.

#6 josephsc

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

My ex-GF purchased a car off of eBay -- but it doesn't mean you go into it blindly. I was in Boston at the time, and the car was in LA. Bob was nice enough to do an inspection of the car and that sealed the deal.

Another time, I purchased my 951S on eBay, but that was a local purchase -- had the chance to inspect the vehicle myself before hand. A colleague at work purchased a 996 on eBay with no inspection or anything -- but this was from a reputable dealer with thousands of transactions on eBay. He has had no complaints.

Just use some common sense -- you may be dealing with a real person on the other side rather than a business with reputation to uphold.

#7 KensCab

Infected with MPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • City:Colorado Springs
  • State:Colorado
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:51 AM

Mine was listed on ebay but didn't meet the 'Reserve'. I contacted the owner and after a week or two of negotiations I got the car for less than what the highest bid was!!!
Two owner, 36,152 miles, all service documents includung original sale data, 17's, LSD, premium sound, leather, powered seats, tip, cab, just a pristeen car... also talked with both previuos owners, first was the wife of a dentist in Ariz. (had it since new untill 12/03) traded it for a new Mercedes, then a 'Corvette Collector' (had nine classic 'vettes) in Wyoming who just bought it for his 16 year old son that never did drive it (said he didn't like foreign cars) he had it for three weeks, it was shipped to him and he only put 78 miles on it. Had it inspected at a dealer, talked with them, they said they were going to buy it if I didn't!!! I've had it since 2/04 and will have it for quite awhile! I've only put a little over 1500 miles on it.
Really would like to know the story of the 8,050 mile car! Maybe it was only driven in for scheduled maintenance, or to church on Sundays!
Would not be afraid of an ebay car if you do your diligent reaserch.

#8 rustech

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:21 AM

Do you know if the LSD was factory or aftermarket? I wonder if it's the same unit as in the 6spd since it sits in the dif. Just curious. Thanks.

#9 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:55 AM

is this the first tip with lsd we have heard of?

#10 Virgo_Quinn

968 Forums Member

• Rookie
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:07 PM

They make LSD in a factory? Funny, I knew a guy who made some in his basement.....

Oh, you mean the Limited Slip Differential.... <_<

It was a factory option - and its on the top of my list in terms of options added to any car I purchase...but I know it must be reasonably rare...can't justify when Im ready to buy dropping an otherwise perfect car just b/c it doesn't have LSD...

So the question remains - is an LSD something you can add (P-made or aftermarket) at a reasonable cost?

#11 KensCab

Infected with MPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

Rustech, flash,

When I flew out to look at the car and bought it I couldn't find the codes in the back under the carpet where Chris L. said they would be.
It wasn't until I had gotten back home in Colorado and was going through all of the paperwork with it we found the "code stickers" in the back of the Owners Manual. I've been told since that some of them were put there. Any way as I drove the car back home I was amazed at how well it handled, I have had several 944's previous to the 968 and none felt near as good as this did. I did "test" it out pretty hard on the trip back home (Mountains and curves)!!! Back to the codes, they are as listed on the paper tags glued to the back page of the manual; C02, XD4, P08, 031, 09991, 231, 249, 331, 249, 331, 403, 454, 455, 718.
I posted the question on .net asking for what they were. I got several replys with what they were, there was some debate as to the 718? I was told that one of the codes was for the LSD. I had a door handle piece break shortly after I got it and took it in to get it fixed. I asked the service guy to check if it was a LSD. He lifted the back and spunthe wheels to check for something told me definiately it did. He said it was kind of rare but he has seen two before with it. So that is about all I know. I did go back and look through all of the service work and records for the car and there was no mention of any aftermarket work done on it. I have all of the service records from the day the car was bought, the Dentist kept everything including everytime gas was put in it.
That's all I know and can tell you about it.

#12 SANDOVAL

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:55 PM

I put a Guard GT LSD in my Cab I think I paid $995 new Speed6 sells the unit. It cost me another $4-500 or so in labor from memory. It makes a HUGE difference in your driving experience!

http://www.andale.co...ll&parentCatId=

#13 KensCab

Infected with MPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:00 PM

That's why I was so surpised as to the way the car handled the first time I drove it. I thought they had improved the 968 ten fold over the 944 !!!

#14 Ave

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

Rustech/Flash:
This car on eBay is actually a 6-speed, not a Tip. The listing says "automatic", but later describes the car as a 6spd manual (and confirms that in the pics). So, no ... this would not qualify as the elusive LSD option on a Tip. But still a very nice prisitine example.

#15 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:07 PM

718 is the rebadge code (VIN change) - it is on cars that were actually the previous year, didn't sell, and were given new numbers for the following year - for example, this is a fairly common thing for a 94 to have (mine does) - it is really a 93, but carries 94 numbers - it has all the 93 features though

ave - thanks for that - thought we may have finally seen one

#16 Samariter

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • City:SG
  • State:Switzerland
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:59 AM

The car is nice but there are several hidden costs if not serviced on a very regular basis:
- belt
- all fluids
- spark plugs
- tires
- (upcoming gearbox problem ?)
May adds a good amount to the purchase price.

Nice car anyway !

#17 968gene

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • City:Mooresville
  • State:North Carolina
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

This is killing me...beyond the hidden costs, this was what I thought I would never find...my 28,000 mile car is the same color combo...we'll se what it goes for...

#18 Greimann

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • City:huntington beach
  • State:california

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:42 PM

I can't help but feel sorry for the car. It is like a family that had a child chained to a couch in the basement. It didn't get out to play and exercise, and now it will be socially unfit for life <_<

#19 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn
  • What year is your 968?:1992

Posted 28 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

Well, I don't know. I sent the seller an email. He is not the original owner, he took it in on trade. doesn't have any of the original paperwork either. No window sticker or maintenance history. The car is Amazon in color.

#20 Anchorman

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • City:Mahwah
  • State:NJ
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 28 February 2005 - 02:37 PM

Whatever we think, it looks like it's selling - the current $20,000 bid shows "Reserve met". Even if (well, not "even if" - it does!) need belts, tires, and other years-related items, it should be a great buy at anything close to that price. It'll be interesting to see what the winning bid is. Curious, though, that a one-owner car with such low mileage wouldn't have any documentation. Hmmm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.