Porsche Parade 2013 in Traverse City - Who's Going?

• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

#1 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • City:Denver
  • State:NC
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1993)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

I'm looking over the schedule of events and have the dates picked out - considering signing up but figured I'd check in with the forum and see who else is going?

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

ya know, i've done a couple of these things now. while i have enjoyed one or two of the activities, by and large i found the whole thing to be a huge disappointment.

first off, likely due to using volunteers, and not a professional group, the lack of organization was painful, particularly in the registration process. they really could take some notes from those who do this for a living.

the hotels chosen are very middle of the road. i understand about budgets and such, but why not have multiple hotels, so as to service those who like better accommodations? that's what most large conventions do. sure, you have one as a base, but you make arrangements with others on either end of the spectrum too.

then, everything about the driving events is put together in such a fashion you can't do anything independent at all. they are so worried about liability that they pin themselves in a corner. it's hysterical too, because the waiver form they make you sign is not worth the paper it's printed on. it wouldn't stand up in court. on top of that, they always manage to put the autocross at the same time as the other driving events. you have to choose between too many things, and yet still have a bunch of dead time because they put all the duller events against each other. they should have the driving events at the same time as the lectures and stuff.

the dinners are pretty piss poor too, but i get that. if you don't do this for a living, it's hard to know how to cook for that many people and not have it come out poorly. it's either that or they just choose lame caterers.

there is almost no provision for the 968. they just don't care about this car. other than the concours, and even then it's pretty minimal, there is no real representation. since i have less than zero interest in any 911, there just isn't a whole lot going on.

so, needless to say, i am not planning on going to this one either. they are 0 for 3 for me.

#3 cosimo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • City:reston
  • State:va
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (2011)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

I can't disagree more with Flash. But we have had this discussion before. I looked at the Traverse City agenda and it seems like a nice resort. I went to Savannah and had a great time. There was time to see the local sites and restaurants. The side trips were very interesting. However, I'm did not see a lot to do in the Traverse City area that I wanted to do. So, the short of it I'm not planning on going. Waiting till the next year It should be somewhere in the east. Don't let Flash discourage you, it can be a great event with lots of interesting Porsches.

#4 MLB

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • City:Madison
  • State:WI
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

I'm very interested in attending, with my wife, leaving daughter with grandparents. The 968 is a new hobby for me and this event could be a way to help her feel more involved and interested to the extent that's possible. Great to get a variety of opinions here on the forum, too. I suspected the 968 crowd might do some things together, but separate from the official event if necessary.
I've been told by a couple local 911 folks that the concours on Monday or tues would be well worth the drive, but I was hoping not to take a whole week off work.
So, if 968 people were considering arriving say friday or saturday before the event starts, I would consider that ideal. Get to meet many of you and possibly have a drive or two on the weekend. Attend a couple official events sunday, monday, probably planning to return to Madison tuesday at the latest...

#5 TSBeckman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • City:Timonium
  • State:Maryland

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

I believe 2014 is going to be in Monterey, CA. 2015 will be announced at the end of the 2013 Parade. I would think 2015 will be an East Coast venue.

I am thinking about going to Traverse City. I've been to many car events, both local and national, but never to a Porsche Parade. The resort looks plenty nice. I don't plan to do every event. Some down time just relaxing would be perfectly fine.

My issue is that I'm not sure that my wife and kids will enjoy it. I might just go by myself so that I don't have to worry that they're having an enjoyable time.

#6 MLB

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

In my view, this event has the greatest likelihood of attracting a significant 968 crowd, as opposed to any other kind of regional car event. (I also have little interest in 911s). So, if it turns out that even a handful of people from this forum will be attending, that makes all the difference to me. More than any official events or drives that may be on the Parade roster.

#7 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I could spend, maximum, one hour walking through the concours and looking at other cars. Then I'd be bored and looking for something else to do. I also have zero interest in 911s, or actually I think I have *negative* interest in 911s, as in they repel me. ;)

There were plenty of Driving Tours on the agenda, and that's what really piqued my interest. The resort looks plenty nice enough and my wife attended the cherry festival last year and said it was pretty cool, including the big sand dunes on the shore of the lake (who knew?), so I thought there would be something for her and I to do outside of the 911-esque events.

Not having been to one before, it's a risk taking the time off and driving 12 hours each way, not to mention the expense, so I appreciate any input.

#8 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

i know it sounds snobbish, and perhaps that's true, but i think for me, a large part of the problem is the station of a majority of the participants. to be honest, many of them are really stretching their budgets to attend. perhaps i just have standards which don't work well with that group. it's largely more the beer and chips crowd, and i am more the champagne and caviar. i haven't looked at this resort, but unless they have really stepped things up, and based on the hotels previously chosen (red lions and such) i don't have high expectations

i also have a bug up my butt about pca though. they represent everything i hate about porsche. the idea that they make it unfriendly to non-members is just asinine. how do they expect to attract new members? why is PCNA not connected and heavily represented? there should be new car demos there. i've spoken at length to organizers of multiple years, and they are just stuck on stupid. again though, they are amateurs and volunteers, and not event organizers, so i guess that's what one should expect.

that being said, some of the day trips have been nice, though i had the best time when i just got the maps and directions of where they were going, and then left the group to be on my own.

not my cup of tea, but i also don't watch reality tv, so i get that my tastes are not the same as a lot of other people.

#9 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I had planned on going to the Parade when it was scheduled to be in New Hampshire but then they changed it to Savana so I could not go. I really planned on attending this one in Traverse but when I got the schedule of events I am not convinced it is worth the 14 hour trip. I only like concours and wanted to enter my car however, when I look at their schedule they have concours prep from Fri till Sunday- not for nothing but if your car is in that bad of shape that it takes 4 days to prepare maybe this is not your sport- any way then the Concours is Monday and the awards are Tuesday night at a banquet??? Who schedules this stuff way to long for me to be away from home. Now I have to see and think is it workth the trip???

#10 TSBeckman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Flash, that PCA National group has apparently been in charge of the last 3 parades. It used to be left up to the host chapter, but no longer. The hotel is a golf resort with multiple indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, spa, etc. How bad can it be?

I don't need champagne and caviar with my Porsche junk. Give me a good German beer and a sausage and a pretzel & I'm fine.

Hot968, there is a new street class concours group this year. Sort of a "top only" category. Probably more reasonable for those of us who might drive 12 hours to enter a concours. Sorry if my engine got greasy on the way there.

Here is the list of past Parade locations and host groups:

http://www.pca.org/A...eLocations.aspx

#11 TSBeckman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

And did you happen to see the Michelin Drive and Compare event? Drive new Porsches! Just what your were asking for.
http://parade2013.pc...ichelin_dc.html

#12 TSBeckman

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

I might drive out Saturday. Check in Sunday mid-day and prep the car. Do the concours Monday. Chill on Tuesday and attend the Tuesday night banquet. Drive home Wednesday.

#13 cosimo

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • City:reston
  • State:va
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (2011)
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

We had nice group of 968s at the Savannah parade and we parked together at the concours. They ususally have fun things for the kids to do as well. The particpation of PCNA and HQ was very pervalent in Savannah.They brought over the team that restored the 911 that was a give away.There was also an event with Kevin Buckler that I attended and it was terrific. As I said before the registation was well organized and easy. All the the events were well planned except for one. If you haven't gone to a parade I highly recommend it. The sites chosen were excellent and accomdations first class. I met several owners that had more than enough money to have champagne and caviar.

#14 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

I'm thinking of leaving Friday and overnighting in Niagara Falls, then rolling into Traverse City on Saturday,... spend a few days seeing the area, and head back maybe on Thursday, again overnighting in Niagara Falls. It's a good spot in between and there's a good Brazilian Churrascaria on the Canadian side.

#15 968rz

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • City:South East
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Hey MLB, The Milwaukee region is looking at getting a bunch to drive there together; if your interested I can let you know when it gets closer. The plan is to drive up and over rather than down and have to put up with Chitown and Gary.

#16 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

well, i sure hope it's gotten better, because i thought it was pretty rinky dink before. for what has been touted as a premier car, the event was more like your local bake sale.

best of luck. who knows? i may pop out, but i won't be registering or anything like that. i'll just show up.

#17 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

well, i looked at the website, and it at least looks better organized and thought out than years gone by.

now, if they've figured out how to mail you your registration package in advance, or have it at the hotel registration desk, or at least have it set up by name, and not event, they'll really have gotten somewhere. the dumbest thing i ever saw was having to "check in" at each event desk. you couldn't just check in, grab your entire package, and move on. i get having tables with the activity staff for each event, so as to answer questions, but requiring you to wait in multiple lines to get your stuff was just plain stupid. some of us are bright enough to be able to read the information package and not have any questions. in the end, i blew off the check in process, and did a late check in the next day, got my stuff all at once, and went about my business.

#18 MLB

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

968rz-
Thanks for asking, my intent was to go up that way too, much nicer drive. How many 968s in Milwaukee, or WI in general? Would be fun to meet much sooner than June.

#19 968rz

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • City:South East
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

I know of about 5 or so 968s around the state, only a couple over this way and mine is the only one that ever shows up at events. I know you're a ways from MKE but you can check out our regions web site for things to do.

http://www.porschepark.org/

#20 tamathumper

968 Forums Addict

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

@flash, supposedly all the Event Chairpersons are together at- and only at- the first day's check-in, so hopefully they've got it arranged as you said, but I have no way of knowing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.