• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • City:Canning, NS, Canada
  • State:Nova Scotia
  • What year is your 968?:None
  • What model is your 968?:None

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

There has been virtually no interest in my cars that are for sale, at least not from Forums sources. Not to complain, as I live in Canada and there aren't that many Canadian members, but only to say that i think that what I am offering them for is low. The blue convertible has only 72,000 km and is in really good original shape. $8000 is low, even for a tip. The white car, with more km and which is in rougher shape, is still a good car for $5000 with a fair number of expensive repairs done lately (rings, bearings, flywheel, all engine sensors, water pump, rad, belts) and I would have though that someone might see it as a good reliable vehicle that likely will need little engine work in the reasonable future. Probably better than a Honda.

But I was wrong. They are NOT collectible cars and do NOT appeal to any wide audience. Regardless of condition, they just aren't worth that much. Even if you sweat your blood over the repairs.

One thing that might be a factor is that Forums isn't really available to non-Forums members, so anyone just searching about for a 968 (and intuitively thinking that searching a 968 site would be helpful) might have a tough time finding one here. It does limit the opportunities as, I am guessing, almost everone reading this post already has a 968. So there might be very few prospective purchasers here anyway.

Car selling is a real nuisance. I put in my ads (the one here and ones I put on Auto Trader) the line "Note - price is not negotiable". Not to be a jerk, but simply to indicate that, in my opinion, the price is already as slow as I will take.to perhaps allow the discussion to focus on the car itself. Any idea what the FIRST question is from everyone?

And then, of course, there are the text message scams that always say " email me at idiot@dummy.com with your best price". I have fun with those emails.

Anyway, I have a guy coming to look at the cab tomorrow from my part of the world who knows the price. I am hopeful. And, if he buys it, I may see it again. He will be getting a really good car.

Action on the coupe has been minimal. A guy from Georgia e-mailed me who asked me if I knew anything about importing a car to the States from Canada. Sadly, I live in Canada and seldom ship cars to the US. I may not be able to sell this car and, if that happens, it will just sit idle in my driveway. Almost like an open-casket funeral for someone who has not yet died.

Just some musings from Nova Scotia on a rainy night after having a glass of Jack Daniels Super-Sarcasm Hooch.

Edited by Kim, 24 November 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

selling a car is almost always a difficult and painful process. i hate doing it, and usually end up almost giving them away, just to avoid the hassle.

as for this site and access, the classifieds are just a convenience we extend to members, and is not the focus of the site, but non-members can definitely see the Cars for Sale section. if your email address is in the ad, they can contact you.

#3 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Kim did you give any thought as to the time of year impacting your traffic? Patience and as a recent buyer, my suggestion is to take the price limitation off to generate traffic. I avoided those offers when i was looking because it meant the seller refused to consider a PPI. Regardless of the car or what the seller thinks, the buyer must have a voice. No voice less potential buyers. Just a thought!

#4 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,544 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Interesting. On the one hand, there have been a number of posts over the last few months from fairly desperate-sounding people looking for a 968, having little or no luck finding one that comes closing to meeting their desires. On the other hand, I had a very similar experience as Kim - had mine on the market for close to six months with very few bites - I finally gave up, and am turning it into a track car. Something doesn't seem right here...

#5 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

What year and what season Cloud?

#6 Cloud9...68

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,544 posts
  • City:Austin
  • State:Texas

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

It was in the depths of the Great Recession (late 2009 - early 2010), and there were a ton of other 968s for sale at the same time, so I picked the worst possible time to try to sell mine. Story of my life... Late Fall through early spring, season-wise. The car had (still has...) about 115K miles on it, which didn't help.

#7 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

I bought my 968 at about this time three years ago and I was the only person that showed interest in the car.
The previous owner had paid $18K for it a year and half earlier. He drove it for only 4,000 miles during his ownership! He first listed it for $17K then dropped it to $15,400 and I bought it for $11K with 79,000 miles on the odometer. He was moving to San Fransisco (car was in Seattle), it was almost winter and the car was a convertible! Everything was stacked against him, and I used all those points to get, what I considered at the time, a good deal.
I have put 18,000 miles on in three summers (I do NOT use it between November and April) and have had minor expenses (considering the age of the car and the cost of P-parts).
The problem with the 968 is that many people have no idea what it is or that it even exists! That was my case.I was looking for a 928 and "stumbled" across the 968. After some quick research I decided that the 968 would probably be a MUCH wiser decision. No regrets!

Kim - I would try putting it on a reputable car lot so that it gets the exposure it deserves!

#8 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

the market problem is that too many people see cars sell for $6k and think that they all will. even more think they can get it for the price of a nice 944. on the other hand, 968 owners have had their car for a while, and it was not too long ago that they remember $20 as a common price tag. that leave a pretty big gap, and resentful sellers when they get low-balled.

while prices have plummeted, and high mileage cars will continue to do that, they seem to be leveling out. i predicted this years ago, and it is now happening.

just as a note, as this site is largely US members, i would put the price and mileage in US dollars and miles, as well as canadian dollars and kilometers.

#9 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

The buyers may speak as they wish but, when the FIRST question, before anything important, is "what's your best price?" I lose interest in them immediately. So, I have nothing to lose by simly indicating my best price up front. I know what both cars need, I know their age, I know they have been looked after, I know they are in a condition appropriate for their age or better. So I know they are woth what I am asking, at least to me, and that's what they will be priced at. If those reviewing the ad are offended, and don't call because I won't further discount, but would have asked for a lower price if they did call, then all is good with me. Them mad or me mad - better them mad. I simply haven't time to play games, at least not until I see something that suggests that a person might be serious. Starting by haggling over a price on car they you haven't seen, driven or know nothing about is a bit silly in my mind. Maybe I'm just a cranky old bastard at my age.

FWIW (and I am not Steven Stills), I bought the convertible in 2006 for $31,900 sight unseen at a dealership over the phone on a Saturday afternoon without negotiating. It was everything that was promised. And I was glad to get it.

#10 hot968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

GOSH! u guys r braking my heart I paid asking price $15,000. for a '92 and it is in terrible shape worst then I even knew it could be. I brought out of emotion not facts :whine: BUT I do love that car, Good luck with your sell of 968

#11 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

well I also paid asking price for my 92 coupe in 2004, $25,000, and have spent over $75,000 since then to repair/maintain/upgrade. It now has about 385,000 km and, if I only sell one car, I hope that is the one that stays. Sometimes the prettiest skin isn't needed if the soul is stirred - just like women.

#12 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

i have no problem with setting a firm price. if people are too stupid to read, screw them. firm means firm. it makes me nuts that everybody wants to haggle. i haggle differently. when somebody comes at me with a lower amount, i raise the price. i learned that one from my mother. very effective strategy.

i would definitely put things in U.S terms though, if you intend to sell to somebody here. 385k would scare an american (though in miles it isn't all that much less scary). of course, the issue of federalization comes into play, but that is a whole different oprah.

#13 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

GOSH! u guys r braking my heart I paid asking price $15,000. for a '92 and it is in terrible shape worst then I even knew it could be. I brought out of emotion not facts :whine: BUT I do love that car, Good luck with your sell of 968

Isn't there an actual 968 poster whose caption reads something like " Of course it's not rational, love seldom is ? I am in that same category, and I may be a fool, but the market price never has and never will have any significance to me, whether it relates to cars or anything else. If I want it ( and I can justifiy the price simply on its value to ME ) that is sufficient - hopefully someone who feels the same way will come along and buy yours. Don't despair, it's all about timing..

#14 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

yup - i have it

#15 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

so, to seem helpful,

my cab has about 45, 670 miles
my coupe has about 240,000 miles

$8000 Canadian is $8100 US
$5000 Canadian is $5100 US

I will ask my wife to help with answering phones and e-mails once this information is known !!! Surely I will be unable to handle them all myself.

#16 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

me too....framed and hanging in the shop!

back on topic, I sell cars for customers all the time and since I take a flat % for consignment fees, I try to get the best price possible. I too hate it when everybody automatically thinks they can negotiate. I'm willing to listen to reasonable explanations as to why they think it's only worth a certain amount, but it's funny to see their reaction (or lack there of) when they make a lower offer and and I tell them I'll accept it if they can justify it. Of course, they never can so they don't get the car even though they want it. I buy the same way.....I make a reasonable offer for what it's worth and it the seller accepts, I write them a check or plunk down some cash.....if not, I get up and walk away. Shocks the pants off most people.

#17 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

The cab MAY be sold!!! It also includes 2 new and unused rear tires plus the original wheels (7s and 8s, don't want to start a debate over their names!) with good tires in addition to the 7s and 9s on it now. Jumpin' Jesus Murphy!

#18 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Kim I hear and understand your position. Yet with perhaps a limited market due to previously mentioned points and buyers with no savy who believe low balling is the proper negotiating strategy, why would you limit your marketplace because of the limitations of your buyers! I certainly understand not wanting to waste ones valuable time, but selling is appealing to those who are interested in a product. Limit those interested and I suspect it will take longer than it needs to.

#19 Kim

968 Forums Fanatic

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Ah, but then the whole pleasure of the epic rant would be lost!

#20 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

No no you see you can rant whenever you want. You don't need to sell a car to rant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.