Up & Running-New Look-New Features!!! Click here for more!

• You cannot reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic

#1 968forums

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

It has been a long time in the making, but 968Forums.com just went through a huge software upgrade, has a new look, and a ton of new stuff. Take some time to poke around and see all the great new features and areas.

We still have a couple of things to work on, (like the logo, sponsor ads, the nav bar, etc) and we will continue to work on the site over the next couple of weeks, but most of the changes have been made, and we think you will like them. Until it is finished, you will see a few things move around, and more things get added, but we didn't want to keep the board down any longer than was absolutely necessary, and felt it was close enough to put back online. Over the next few days, you may see brief service interruptions. This will be necessary in order to make some of the changes. You will probably find a few minor things missing right now, but be assured that we will get them back up very soon. Please bear with us as we complete the changes.

Many things have been made easier to access, easier to see, and we think the new features will make the experience a lot better, and far superior to the capabilities of any other 968 site.

There are a LOT of new features in your Control Panel (drop down below your name in the upper right corner) I.E. you can now select how you view new content ("since last visit", or "not read"). This will dramatically improve your ability to keep up with the latest.

The help menu is expanded, giving you many answers to common site usage questions. The Tutorial is still there in the menu bar as well.

The chat feature is now enabled. Talk to people in real time. We will be working to set up a "tech session" on a scheduled basis. Hold down the "option" key on your keyboard to open it in a new window so you can leave the board up in its own window. We will be watching this and making changes to the service level as needed.

The Search function is expanded, making it easier to search. You can just use the simple search feature, and select from the drop down in the right side of that box to select the area in which to search, or you can click the "Magnifying Glass" icon on the right of that to enter the Advanced Search Area, which is extremely helpful in seeking something specific. Click the "Gear" icon on the right of that to search the Help section.

Blogs are up and running, and the entry date bug is fixed. Feel free to start a blog about your car or whatever.

In all we think that these new changes will really help to further set this site head and shoulders above all others as the best resource on the planet for the Porsche 968 Enthusiast.

#2 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

bump

please read this thread and then poke around and see the new stuff

#3 unknown4u

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • City:Utrecht
  • State:Utrecht
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

Great to see the evolution of the site. My compliments.
I do have a question about the tech sessions. The annoucement will be Los Angeles time or?? This because many of the members live in different timezones.

With compliments
Ritchie.

#4 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

we will post the time and time zone info, based on who is leading it

#5 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Coolest new feature

Your screen name at the top of this page,
down arrow,

"My settings"

Search Settings
  • View New Content Method Show me all new content since my last visit Show me all content that I have not read

#6 rhudeboye

968 Forums Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • City:Bowie
  • State:MD

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

Good work gentlemen.

Now that I've read this post, its time to start poking around.

#7 968Syncro

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • City:San Pasqual Valley
  • State:CA
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

Looks good, sounds like great new features.

Roland

#8 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

you should see all the new privacy settings and such too - really detailed

the profile page is really cool too

i'm just starting to poke around and find all the new cool things this software can do

#9 Monstrous4Banger

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • City:Ukiah
  • State:CA

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Sweet!!

#10 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Looks great - time to "explore"!
Almost "scared" to hit the Show me all content that I have not read option, since there is so much content to read that it could take awhile!

#11 Darryl

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • City:Sterling
  • State:VA

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

Nice work to all of those involved. I just got done with my initial poke around and I'm looking forward to finding more neat features of the new software. I also just added a new entry to my blog entitled "Back to Blogging..."

- Darryl

#12 White968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • City:Yonkers
  • State:New York
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

Been poking around the new site..Loving it! Great work

#13 DayDreamer

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • City:Johannesburg, South Africa
  • State:Gauteng

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:14 AM

Very fresh.... (no pun intended) . Now if only I could transform my 968 this dramatically in 2 days. :)

#14 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:23 AM

it's very cool to see the responses - i know that change is never easy for many people - that's one of the reasons that the changes were done the way they were - for example, the categories and such were left alone, so that people would have that familiarity - but, notice that now the subcategories appear below in smaller font, with a bullet, and they highlight when you move your cursor over them - this makes it a lot easier to get to one of those - you can still click on the main category, and it still takes you to a page with all the subs on it, but this was just another way to get there

we will continue to refine and tweak as we go, but the goal is to add features we can use, make the entire site easy to use, and get more people here so they can share about the car

already we have seen a MASSIVE barrage of search engines - this will quickly push us back up to the top - we previously had to close down access to search engines to prevent hacking and spamming, but now with the new security features of the new software, this is not necessary

we also opened up a lot of content to guests, and will continue to do that as we go - this makes it more enticing to potential new members to see what else there is

already we have seen an influx of new registrations as result of the changes - i would expect that to continue as well, as more people are finding us and able to access the site

activity is up, and i see a lot more views happening - this could be due to the improved "view new posts" or it could be due to the new changes - either way, more people are looking at more things - this is great!

did you notice the "recent gallery images"? start a gallery and upload your pics - then you will be up there for everybody to see

start a blog - tell us about your car - post pics - this is a chance to have your own mini web page, all about you and your car

no other site offers this kind of stuff, and they never will - that's because we have 3 owners, a great web guy, and a whole lot of members, who are all crazy, and all completely dedicated to maintaining this site as the best Porsche 968 resource on the planet

thanks to everybody for making this place what it is

#15 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

did you notice the "recent gallery images"? start a gallery and upload your pics - then you will be up there for everybody to see

Yes I did... And until others start uploading to there albums you will be forced to stare at my car.. :P

#16 rxter

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

The simpler access to the galleries is great. I spent some time on the cutaway 968. That is so cool. I am a 100% visual/experiential learner and these pics will help me understand that parts of the car that I can't see. Any more of these out there?

#17 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,716 posts
  • City:San Carlos
  • State:Ca

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

I hate it. First, I had to learn how to work with these things you people call computers. Then the internet, email and all that other crap we never needed before
came along.. and as if that wasn't enough, cell phones, iPods iPads, Kindles, Spindles, and whatnot to top it all off. But this is just the straw that breaks the camel's back! I was perfectly content walking home from work everyday in the snow and uphill ( both ways ) to be welcomed by the familiar site and features of the old
968 Forums.. But you just couldn't leave well enough alone. Oh,no.. because the site needed " New Look - New Features ". At least you didn't outsource Tech Support to India ( yet.. ) so I know whom to call if I can't navigate through all of these new and improved features.

That said ( 'cause it's obviously a very slow day for me ) , NICE JOB - Looks great ! :) :)

Edited by ds968, 27 October 2010 - 01:34 PM.

#18 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,558 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

This is sooo cool! The site works great from my Blackberyy 9700!

Almost more fun than driving...

Regards from the road,

Jay

#19 banditsc

968 Forums Fanatic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Yep, there is a special layout just for phones now.... :EmoticonCar:

#20 jeff968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • State:conn

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

Bob and Jay, looks great!!! I like the new posted threads on the front page.

Bob, are the PMs being converted? Where can i find them?

Thanks
Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.