• City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

I have been talking for a while now about wanting to get out of this site.  My focus has shifted, and I am no longer doing anything related to the 968.  The car I still have will go away soon enough, and I am almost completely out of stock of all Design 1 Racing product.  I find I have less and less in common with what drew me to the car in the first place.  I do not expect to revisit this, and consequently want to sever all ties that might drag me back.

Recent events have brought this further into focus, as it is increasingly likely that I will be leaving the country, and do not want to deal with it long distance.  It is already taking up too much of my time, and I really need to stop.  I am prepared to shut it down, rather than have to deal with it.

I have spoken to Jay, and he has been substantially in agreement.  It is time to find a new steward, or shut down the site.

So, you guys need to figure out how to take this over.  We would like to see the work we have done continue, but would rather kill it than let it unravel.  We would rather see a few enthusiasts get together and run it.

To that point, all offers will be considered.  We spent a lot of money to buy it, and would like to see that come back, however, we will consider pretty much any arrangement.

Send inquiries to 968forums@gmail.com

#2 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:10 PM

I have always wondered what it means and takes to run the site?

#3 Westy

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • City:Newcastle
  • State:Ca
  • What year is your 968?:1993

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:47 PM

I find this sad.  I just found this forum (Your fault Flash!!) and have already received lots of help regarding a car I know little about.  Guess I'll start perusing all the forums and get as much info as I can.  Sniff Sniff!!!

#4 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

lol - or you could start putting together a group and take it over

#5 Westy

968 Forums Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • City:Newcastle

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

If you knew me you NEVER would have made that suggestion!

#6 968Syncro

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • City:San Pasqual Valley
  • State:CA
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

It seems the plan has two alternative outcomes:   1. find someone (group) to take it over, 2. delete it.

Is there a 3rd alternative?  How about just leaving it up and closing off all new messages and closing all new members.  Then it just sits there for people to reference all of the good information.  The whole site goes to read only -- new discussions and content can go elsewhere.    Perhaps the work to run the site then becomes minimal, maybe then there isn't much to manage it.  Or can it be contributed to the "way back machine" and let them keep it in read-only mode "for eternity"?

Just hate to see all the info simply go away.

#7 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:39 AM

Closing this down would be the absolute last choice, there is no implied threat. We simply want to pass the torch...it's time

#8 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:46 PM

no threat - real world

i absolutely will NOT allow the site to degrade to what the others have, and left unmonitored, it will.  i will take it down long before i let that happen.  the site costs money every year.  that won't be managed without somebody at the helm.

the wayback machine doesn't do a good job on attachments.  the content is often useless without them.  i just had that problem with the D1R site.  godaddy told me the content would stay intact when i cancelled the shopping cart, so i didn't do anything about it.  they lied.  now i have to use the wayback machine, but can only grab the text.  it lost all pics.

this site needs new ownership.  that's all there is to it.  if i end up leaving the country (and we are working on that), and nobody steps up, the end may be very near.

#9 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • City:Prescott
  • State:AZ

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:25 PM

Can you provide a description on exactly what is needed for management of the site and a ROM on costs? What would a new "ownership group" be signing up to?

#10 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,712 posts
  • City:San Carlos

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

Although I have neither the time nor the interest to be an active owner, or co-owner or moderator, or involved in management of the site in any way, I would consider being a contributing backer , financially that is, on an ongoing basis , to assist in assuring this site continues as a viable forum , or at least a reference library for our community . So whoever decides to take the helm ( any of you retired folks out there with lots of time on your hands willing to cut back a little on your golf game and dedicate yourselves to managing the forum ?, Lol ) contact me with details of the annual running costs and contributions expected and I'll see what I can do .. I'm sure I can do with one less pairs of shoes, or fur socks or any of the other crazy things I squander money on , and shift the amount to a better cause .. :-) :-)

#11 Bulti

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • City:Merksplas
  • State:Belgium
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Coupe (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

I would be always willing to keep throwing in some nonsense if needed :-)

#12 ds968

968 Forums Psycho

• Advocate
  • 10,712 posts
  • City:San Carlos

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:21 PM

I would be always willing to keep throwing in some nonsense if needed :-)

So now you want my job, eh ?!

#13 Waylander

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts
  • City:London
  • State:england
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:33 AM

I have run a very basic site for my brother for years

Time is one part, hosting costs the other, and possibly software cost on here

Mine costs me about $100 a year

#14 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:17 AM

this one costs quite a bit more, due to the hosting space required.  we have a LOT of content.  it's not the bandwidth, but the storage that is the issue.  between the license, the hosting, and the software fees, it's about $400 a year.    it takes about 7.5 hours a month (15 minutes a day) to minimally monitor for spam, problems, and keep the conversations on track.  this does not include any real technical assistance, which until now has been provided for free, but will not likely be available all that much longer.

it's a real undertaking, and is why it has taken so long to find somebody to run it.  it can make money though, if someone were inclined to take on sponsors.  i just don't have the time or inclination to put forth the effort.

#15 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

update - jay has expressed a willingness to stay on board, at least until such time as he is comfortable that the new stewardship would fit the vision.  this means that others could step in and merely buy out my shares of the site.  he would even consider buying out enough of my shares to retain majority status, at least for the period until a complete transition made sense.

so, lots of options here.  i am definitely not the guy to continue though.  my attitude has gone in the dumper, and i am soon to be completely out of the 968 world.  it's time. i need a clean break though, and take pride in what has been built, so it is is important to me that the integrity be maintained, and if that can't be done, that it just disappear.  it's really very black and white for me.

this is the single best resource for 968 owners.    we saw that with .net and are still feeling the loss of that material.  it has taken 10 years to put together the library of information.  it has been a great meeting place for people with a common interest.  many friendships have been formed over the years.  it would be a shame to see it just go away.

figure it out guys.  

#16 williamoss

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • City:Tigard
  • State:Oregon 97223
  • What year is your 968?:1995

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

Flash while you say you are willing to sell your half or perhaps the whole thing you have never said publicly how much would that be to buy the half or the whole. Perhaps if you put out a figure some of us could start to figure out if this would be viable to take on.

#17 Bulti

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • City:Merksplas
  • State:Belgium
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

So now you want my job, eh ?!

Hey Dan, no worries. There's more than room enough for both our nonsense, lol.

#18 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

$10k takes it away in its entirety.  from there we can talk percentages for partial buy-ins

#19 flash

• Admin
  • 28,624 posts
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

looks like june 1 is going to be the "day of doom".  it would be renewal time a few days after that, and i'm not going there.

so, you guys need to start talking to each other, and see what can be done.

#20 Rap

968 Forums Lunatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

If I may ask, what is the percentage ownership between you and Jay? Is it Jay's intention to sell his share upon satisfaction of the direction of new ownership? What determines this satisfaction? Would Jay consider staying? What type of hardware and software does one need? What are the fully yearly expenses?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.