• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • City:Prescott
  • State:AZ
  • What year is your 968?:1993
  • What model is your 968?:Hardtop

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

Looks like there's interest in a 2017 event so thought it was time to start a new thread.

So there have been suggestions for:

S. Oregon/maybe N. CA (way north - Mendocino area)?

LA area, maybe on north side where there are better driving roads?

There was a suggestion on having it at an historic hotel near Sacrament, but that sounds hot, if it's summer.

Tahoe area again?

I enjoyed having it in an area that was fun to visit with 968 friends.

The key is someone stepping up and offering to run with the event. Lots of work but I had some great help locally to the area to visually check things over, look at routes, dining stops, etc.

#2 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania
  • What year is your 968?:1994
  • What model is your 968?:Cab

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

I think the trick might be to plan events in locations that have never had one. Maybe South or Southeast, say Orlando. I'm sure there is some pent up demand for the FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, etc. areas. 

Just spitballing,

Jay

#3 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

lol - That would be an East Coast Gathering. right? Or a Southeast Gathering to address the areas you mentioned. No reason there couldn't be several Gatherings a year. All that is needed is for someone to say "Hey, I'll organize one in my area".

#4 Michael Fleming

968 Forums Rookie

• Rookie
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • City:Portland
  • State:Oregon
  • What year is your 968?:1995
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1995)
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:09 AM

I had such a great time with the car guys and gals in "South Lake Tahoe" that I will always come to the West Coast gatherings . We need to have a special shirt making known how great the West coast 968 group is .

I had just had Cancer surgery and wasn't sure I could make the 2,000 mile trip but I did and had a super time , thanks all that was there for many years to come  !!!!!

Mike,  in Portland , Oregon

#5 williamoss

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • City:Tigard
  • State:Oregon 97223

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:55 AM

how many Californians would be willing to come to Oregon? we have great food and great wine?

#6 MCL968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • City:Reno
  • State:Nevada
  • What year is your 968?:1992
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1992)
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

There are a couple of Nevadans who would be happy to drive to the Portland area for the event, but that would leave a terribly short drive for you and Mike.

#7 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

I would be up for a drive north again. What about southern Oregon or n. California? Id like to be able to do it with just overnight stop. Some great roads here in Mendocino area, nice wineries and breweries. Would So. California people be willing to drive up here? I'm thinking Mendocino or Ft Bragg could make a good base, maybe Arcada?

I've been in Ukiah for the past three weeks waiting on grand baby to show up and been doing some driving around. Some fun roads. And nice wine.

I'll be back here over Christmas and could nail down some details then.

Thoughts?

Edited by az968, 02 September 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#8 Kaj Hallstrom

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • City:Novato
  • State:CA
  • Garage Vehicles:
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet (1994)
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

Southern Oregon or Northern California sounds good ......Crater Lake area?

Klamath Falls to the Crater Lake loop visiting the amazing Crater Lake?

Edited by Kaj Hallstrom, 02 September 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#9 94SilverCab

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts
  • City:Bucks County
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

Melva and I are considering Vancouver (Canada) for next year, so I'll keep listening in and maybe we'll start in Portland area.

Jay

#10 lbpesq

968 Forums Fanatic

• Booster
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • City:Oakland
  • State:California

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:58 AM

Mendocino/Ukiah and north are quite beautiful. Also more east can be quite spectacular. Last month I had a case in Quincy in Plumas County. The drive included a 50-60 mile stretch along the Feather river on Highway 70 that was one of the most breathtaking drives I've ever done.

Bill

#11 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

The concern i have about Crater Lake is the traffic can be really bad (slow, and i dont do slow well) and limited places to go from there due to traffic.

Also needs to be a day drive from a number of 968 owners and a day and half from others that would drive that far. Also reasonable close to willing participants that could go there occasionally and check on logistis, like Matt, Jeff and Grayson did for Tahoe.

Thats why i kind of like Mendocino. Small funky town. Check out www.hillhouseinn.com and there are some lower priced places close by in Ft Bragg. Just south of Mendocino is a road (Mountain View Road) that runs between Point Arena and Booneville that goes thru redwoods and along a mountain ridge, great road. That hits 128 in Booneville in Anderson valley with some great wineries and breweries. 128 goes back to 1 near Mendocino. There are also some other drives going north and south on 1 that are beautiful and fun to drive.

It's 11 hrs from Portland, one long day or 2 easy days. 4 hrs from the Bay area. 9 hrs from LA, 16 hrs from AZ. Maybe some bay area members could help with logistics. I know the area well, daughter lives nearby so get there often.

Thoughts?

Edited by az968, 05 September 2016 - 04:40 PM.

#12 Langley968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • City:Langley
  • State:British Columbia (BC) Canada

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Oregon or Northern California are interesting to me.

#13 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:42 PM

Ok, been kicking around some ideas for next year with the participants that made the S. Lake Tahoe gathering last year.  Narrowing in on the Mendocino, CA area, it's on the N. CA coast on US 1. Not too far off of Highway 101.

Lots of nice scenery in the area and plenty to keep everyone occupied.  Some great driving roads. Wineries and breweries and other goodies :beer:. I've found a hotel (Mendocino Hotel) that will discount rates down to $150/night and there are plenty of higher priced hotels/inns and just up the road in Ft. Bragg are some lower priced lodging so I think we can suit all pocketbooks and tastes. I'm still checking out some other properties in the area but this place looks pretty good. I've been to Mendocino a number of times and I think everyone will enjoy the area.

I think it’s close enough to Portland that people could get down pretty easy from there (11.5 hrs), esp if traveling in a group, 16 hrs from Vancouver, from S. CA (9 hrs from LA). Certainly easy for the Bay Area (3 hrs), 4 hrs from Sacramento area and 6 hrs from Reno area. It’s a long two days from AZ (14.5 hrs) but you all are worth that much seat time for me.

So for dates. June 18 is Father’s Day.  So I’m thinking the following weekend – June 23-25. It avoids the 4th of July crowds. I know that's pretty far out but that gives you time to work on your calendars. I'm sure this date won't work for everyone, but let me know if you would be interested in participating.

Working on final details and will post shortly.

For those of you that missed last years gathering, here's what you missed.

Attached Files

Edited by az968, 03 November 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#14 tom968

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • City:Los Angeles
  • State:California

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:57 PM

It would take over 10 hrs. from so cal.  I would rather stay overnight somewhere

say Monterey or San Francisco, and be less rushed.  I would have to make a

short vacation out of this.

Never been to Mendocino and would like to go.  The only worries I have is it 

is a very touristy area w/o many roads in or out.  Weekends between Memorial

Day and Labor Day are probably very crowded.  To avoid the crowds I think

before Memorial Day would be better.  Just a suggestion as it's still very

early.  Keep us posted. 

#15 williamoss

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

As I live in Portland OR I think Portland is the obsolete best locations. Tons of Vineyards to visit. Tons of great restaurants to go to. And the commute is very short for myself. LOL :rock:  But I like the idea of Vancouver BC Never been there and a relatively short drive for myself. About 6 hours 325 miles. Google maps

#16 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

timed right, i may be able to tie in a move to vancouver.  it's on the list of places we may move to.  property is sure cheap there.

#17 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:22 PM

So I think too far north will reduce the participation from CA, NV and AZ.  That's why I have been looking at N. CA. 11 hrs from Portland and 10 from So Cal could be done in one day if one wants to push it, otherwise two easy days.  For me, Mendo is two 8 hrs days from here, about my max (stop for night along I-5, near Harris Ranch so we can have a great steak dinner as a reward for driving so long!).  Williamoss, would you drive down from Portland or is that too much of a drive for you?

Tom968, one of the reasons for June is that any potential participants that are in the education field are generally slammed from mid-May thru the end of school year, generally mid-June, thus the June 23rd weekend. I've been to Mendo a lot in the summers and the roads over aren't that crowded, and there are a couple roads we'll take that won't have much traffic, plus the weather is better then than in early/mid May. Not to worry about big crowds, you're from LA - any less traffic will seem like its deserted to you :rolleyes:

#18 flash

968 Forums Ex Officio Owner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,624 posts
  • City:los angeles
  • State:ca
  • Garage Vehicles:
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

lol - i have driven coast to coast in 52hrs, dragging my car in a trailer the whole way, just to get to an event.  10 hrs is a cake walk.

#19 az968

968 Forums Fanatic

• Advocate
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

Yep, I've driven longer than 10 hrs for an event, so I'm hoping N. CA won't be too much, even in these old cars :-)

#20 williamoss

968 Forums Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:26 AM

the only reason for me not to drive the 968 is not the distance but the fact that as I drive the car even locally more things break. Recently the oil pickup line broke and the front suspension needed to be lowered in order to get access to the oil pan. Needless to say it was a very expensive repair. As I am not a mechanic if my car broke on a long trip I would be screwed. I recently drove from Portland OR to NYC in 4 1/2 days and then 5 days later drove it back in reverse. I basically was able to drive 12 hours per day. But that was in my Minivan which is more comfortable and much quieter than the 968,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way. Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.